Will Gabby be 1st Team AA this Year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Gabby be 1st Team AA this Year?

Reaction Score
If Gabby (LT) continues to play at this level, she will be an AA somewhere, on UConn's wall, a high WNBA draft pick and a success as a pro. Her game is just so solid, between her ears and end line to end line. Give me of one team in the country she wouldn't be starting for. I don't care if she averages 10 per game or makes a 3 every other. I add up pts, assts, rebs, steals and blocks when I look at a player. I'd put her numbers up against anyone's. I'd want her on my team. Used to tell a friend from Sparks he should go see her play in HS. He was a towny and he didn't. Dope. Gabby, Lou and Naph will make some AA squads somewhere despite WBBA politics and arbitrary AA count per team limits, before they go on to bigger and better.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about that. I think a WNBA coach would say to himself or herself, "At 5-11, even with great hops, Gabby isn't going to be a rebounding machine at the WNBA level. There are too many 6-3 to 6-5 players who can also levitate. So that means that she would have to play guard or wing, and her jump shot is not really at a WNBA level, so I'm not sure that is a viable option either. Sure, she would be a great defender, but most players find that they can't stay in the WNBA based on defense alone."

Just to take two examples that we are familiar with, how many rebounds do you think Gabby would get against Tina Charles or Kiah Stokes? That's how the WNBA drafters would have to look at it.

By contrast, I think that Lou / Napheesa / Kia Nurse all have excellent prospects in the WNBA, because they can all score as well as pass and play defense.

Exactly. IMHO Williams is going to struggle to find a position in the WNBA. She is too small to rebound with the size and athleticism on WNBA posts and she does not possess the jump shot or handle to play the 3.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about that. I think a WNBA coach would say to himself or herself, "At 5-11, even with great hops, Gabby isn't going to be a rebounding machine at the WNBA level. There are too many 6-3 to 6-5 players who can also levitate. So that means that she would have to play guard or wing, and her jump shot is not really at a WNBA level, so I'm not sure that is a viable option either. Sure, she would be a great defender, but most players find that they can't stay in the WNBA based on defense alone."

Just to take two examples that we are familiar with, how many rebounds do you think Gabby would get against Tina Charles or Kiah Stokes? That's how the WNBA drafters would have to look at it.

By contrast, I think that Lou / Napheesa / Kia Nurse all have excellent prospects in the WNBA, because they can all score as well as pass and play defense.
If Gabby improves her 15 footer just a bit she'll make great 3 or 4 at the next level.

Reaction Score
No. Unfortunately, AAs are chosen more for their offensive stats than anything else and while nobody impacts a game more than Williams, she simply does not score enough to garner AA distinction.

Tuck made it scoring 12.5 pts per game. Gabby is at 11.9 right now.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
If Gabby improves her 15 footer just a bit she'll make great 3 or 4 at the next level.
How do we know how good her outside shot is? It's not her r0le on this years team.

Reaction Score
No. Unfortunately, AAs are chosen more for their offensive stats than anything else and while nobody impacts a game more than Williams, she simply does not score enough to garner AA distinction.

Then they would doing a great injustice to the womens game if this would be the case. She is more valuable than anyone on the best team overall, how can she not be an AA? Her defense is the best, her rebounding, she cans 12-15 footers at a nice % now, she goes to the hole and finishes with both hands as well as anyone due to her superior athleticism in the women's game, not to mention how intelligent she is on the court. Always the best athlete on the court.

Her numbers are very solid, other teams prep for her if they can and she guards the best player on the other team when needed. She's an AA no doubter, unless suddenly the intangibles mean zero?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last season Geno said the criteria for Huskies of Honor were under review and the silence. I suspect we'll know when and if he changes them and voila there is a veiled banner hanging on the wall.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well I did some research and 2012-2013 Chelsea Grey of Duke put up 10ppg and was named an All American, in 2014-2015 Brittany Boyd of Cal 13.4ppg and Samantha Logic of Iowa 13.4ppg 11.5 Career avg were named All Americans, and in 2006-2007 Lindsey Harding 13.6ppg, 9.3career avg was named an All American, so I would say Williams has a pretty good chance, just depends on who the coaches select out of Williams and Nerse.
You forgot to check your Uconn stats :rolleyes: -
Moriah 2015 - 12.4
Moriah 2016 - 12.6
Morgan 2016 - 13.7
and going way back
Jen - 1995 - 12.5
Jen - 1996 - 11.0
I am sure there are others too, but doubt any Uconn player below 10 ppg.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Last season Geno said the criteria for Huskies of Honor were under review and the silence. I suspect we'll know when and if he changes them and voila there is a veiled banner hanging on the wall.
He really had stretch the criteria to get himself and CD up there! :)
It was never really defined when they started the program, but they figured first team AA was a good way to start with a limited number of honorees - but since then, there has been a steady stream of players who qualify based on the AA criteria so no real impetus to change it at this time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well I did some research and 2012-2013 Chelsea Grey of Duke put up 10ppg and was named an All American, in 2014-2015 Brittany Boyd of Cal 13.4ppg and Samantha Logic of Iowa 13.4ppg 11.5 Career avg were named All Americans, and in 2006-2007 Lindsey Harding 13.6ppg, 9.3career avg was named an All American, so I would say Williams has a pretty good chance, just depends on who the coaches select out of Williams and Nerse.

Actually you shortchanged Gray a few points that year :cool:. She averaged 12.6 points. Along with 5.4 assists, 5.3 rebounds, and 3.6 steals per game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Will Gabby be 1st Team AA this Year?

This year, no. Not sure if she will be 1st team AA next year either. She would need to have a scoring average of at least 14 PPG and 8-9 RPG to be a 2nd team AA IMO this year. Next year maybe she can have Tuck-like numbers and be on a 2nd team.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sorry but the minutia in my head occasionally needs an outlet and this is a good opportunity. It is actually 3 years running now that UCONN has placed 3 players on WBCA AA list.
2016 Stewie, Morgan, Moriah
2015 Stewie, KML, Moriah
2014 Stefanie, Bria, Stewie
WBCA teams going back to 1975 can be found here. I don't see where any other school besides UCONN has ever placed 3 players on a team in one year and UCONN has done it a handful of times.
WBCA All-America teams: 1975-2015
Thanks for the link. I had it in my head that the '98 TN team had three. Obviously not.

Reaction Score
Exactly. IMHO Williams is going to struggle to find a position in the WNBA. She is too small to rebound with the size and athleticism on WNBA posts and she does not possess the jump shot or handle to play the 3.

Nonsense. Consider her development from freshman year to now. It is Gabby's modus operandi to will herself to become whatever she needs to be to graduate to the next level. She has the natural talent to will herself into a sleek jump shooter, the hops to slither in where bigs can't, and--most of all-the desire to be great. Watch out, doubters.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think it'll be Collier/KLS on first team, Williams 2nd team. At worst she makes 3rd. 12 points, 8 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals and 55% shooting...no way she's left off a team.

Also, I'm not sure why some people think voters will be anti-UCONN. At UCONN you are in the spotlight and get ample opportunity to impress voters. Moreso, has any deserving Huskie ever been shafted by the WBCA?

Last year Tuck was averaging 13/6 with 3 assists, 52% FG and missed 5 games on the year when she was announced as a WBCA AA. Those numbers weren't all American worthy IMO but there was no denying she was deserving based on her play. Gabby has been better than Morgan was last year and has stronger numbers.

The only time a Huskie will be left off is if they are the 4th best player on the team.
If Williams keeps up her averages and level of play, there is no way she gets left off. Especially if UCONN makes the Final Four with an undefeated record

Reaction Score
Gabby First team AA? No.
Gabby AA? Yes, ....well maybe! Gabby is playing better basketball than at least 3 players (forwards) that were listed as pre-season AA. ( Nina Davis-Baylor , Brianna Turner-ND, Myisha Hines-Allen-Louisville).
The maybe part is ironic because the same can be said for KLS, Napheesa Chantel Osahor . I predict that the selections will be creative for the 10 person team consisting of 4 guards, 5 forwards and 1 post/center.
Plum and Mitchell are locks for the Guard positions and A'Ja Wilson is also a lock for a forward spot.
Creative would be 1 Big (center type player) which would be Kristine Anigwe-Cal or Coates-SC, or Jones-MD.
Creative could also be sliding KLS into a Guard spot.
My 10 person team would look like this:
1) Plum-G
2) Mitchell-G
3) Greenwell-G
4) Jones-G
5) Osahor-F
6) Wilson-F
7) Collier-F
8) KLS-F
9) Williams-F
10) Jones-C

How about Lindsy Allen from ND at guard?

Reaction Score
Tuck made it scoring 12.5 pts per game. Gabby is at 11.9 right now.

Tuck was at 13.7 and Jefferson was at 12.5 last year. Gabby is AA especially.if she professing on the offensive side. I honestly think 2nd team is realistic.

Reaction Score

She is not a four, but a three yes. If she had to bang all the time against 4s at next level it would be wearing.... She said it's tough on her now against the bugs at this level.

Reaction Score
At 6.0 in height, Maya More is second in rebounds on the Minnesota Lynx team with 7.3 rebounds per game, second to Sylvia Fowles at 9.8 rpg. Gabby and Napheesa, along with Maya share these abilities that make them great rebounders: 1) Desire, 2)Hustle, 3)Timing, and 4) The ability to anticipate the ball's trajectory and flight patterns. Oh, and they can all jump. Gabby and Maya both have great leaps, but I believe Gabby can slightly out-jump Maya. Whereas Maya has a more rugged body type. These traits also help Gabby with Steals and Blocks, which Maya, on the Lynx team leads, 1st in Steals and 3rd in Blocks. Gabby's outside shooting and ball handling will have to improve, but it is well within her ability to take them both into the next level. And Gabby, like Maya is exciting to watch.

Reaction Score
Lou and Napheesa are unbelievable talents, without either of whom UConn would not be the number one team in the country this year...no doubt about it. But, when contribution to all phases of the winning formula are considered, Gabby Williams, who is still just learning the game, is the number one, most valuable player in the country...not just my opinion...see Geno's post-game, on-floor interview after Tulsa. Will she be named first team AA ? Nah, not a chance. The voters aren't that knowledgeable!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gabby First team AA? No.
Gabby AA? Yes, ....well maybe! Gabby is playing better basketball than at least 3 players (forwards) that were listed as pre-season AA. ( Nina Davis-Baylor , Brianna Turner-ND, Myisha Hines-Allen-Louisville).
The maybe part is ironic because the same can be said for KLS, Napheesa Chantel Osahor . I predict that the selections will be creative for the 10 person team consisting of 4 guards, 5 forwards and 1 post/center.
Plum and Mitchell are locks for the Guard positions and A'Ja Wilson is also a lock for a forward spot.
Creative would be 1 Big (center type player) which would be Kristine Anigwe-Cal or Coates-SC, or Jones-MD.
Creative could also be sliding KLS into a Guard spot.
My 10 person team would look like this:
1) Plum-G
2) Mitchell-G
3) Greenwell-G
4) Jones-G
5) Osahor-F
6) Wilson-F
7) Collier-F
8) KLS-F
9) Williams-F
10) Jones-C

Greenwell is in a protracted slump.... unless she breaks out of it.. she's slipping out of consideration for any A-A teams. I could see Lexie Brown slipping into the 3rd team AP squad.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I doubt that the rest of the country will let there be 3 UCONN All-Americans on the 1st team. Heck, they are all already jealous of UCONN and wont give us any further props.

This is such an amusing post. Who is the "rest of the country" and "they" that you are referring to? Are you forgetting what is about to happen on January 20?

Reaction Score
This is such an amusing post. Who is the "rest of the country" and "they" that you are referring to? Are you forgetting what is about to happen on January 20?
I had no idea that President Trump was such a yuge Gabby fan!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom