Will Alfonso Soriano be back in pinstripes soon? | The Boneyard

Will Alfonso Soriano be back in pinstripes soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It looks like there's a deal in the works with the Cubs to get him back. He's currently on a tear with Chicago, and lord knows the Yankees need a bat. I definitely would like to see it happen as Wells is in a deep funk, and there isn't anyone in that outfield with home run power.
Also, reports saying that ARod is trying to cut a deal with MLB. Is it over for him, or does he get the Braun deal?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...eing-chicago-cubs-alfonso-soriano-source-says

Reaction Score
It looks like there's a deal in the works with the Cubs to get him back. He's currently on a tear with Chicago, and lord knows the Yankees need a bat. I definitely would like to see it happen as Wells is in a deep funk, and there isn't anyone in that outfield with home run power.
Also, reports saying that ARod is trying to cut a deal with MLB. Is it over for him, or does he get the Braun deal?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9501578/new-york-yankees-eyeing-chicago-cubs-alfonso-soriano-source-says[/quote]

.286 obp, 37 years old, poor fielder. Sounds like a Yankee.

Reaction Score

What took you so long to post? I had this one teed up for you!

Reaction Score

Hasn't won a big game since he wasn't a Yankee so sounds more like a Ray to me!!;)

Reaction Score
Hasn't won a big game since he wasn't a Yankee so sounds more like a Ray to me!!;)
If I was Cashman, I wouldn't touch him. He is already 37. The Yankees need to get younger.

Reaction Score
If I was Cashman, I wouldn't touch him. He is already 37. The Yankees need to get younger.

I would......only an extra year and the Cubbie don't want much and are willing to pay a lot.......he's already the 2nd best offensive player when he walks in with only and .287 OBP....how awful is that?

Reaction Score

Are you kidding? Can I introduce you to the current outfield?

Reaction Score
Never mind the outfield - the last Yankee right-handed batter to hit a home run was Jason Nix* on May 23rd! Epstein is dumping him - Chicago will pick up most of the salary, and New York won't give up much.

*Shows what happens when not only are your expected starters out, but their replacements, like Nix and Adams, are also on the DL.

Reaction Score
I would......only an extra year and the Cubbie don't want much and are willing to pay a lot.......he's already the 2nd best offensive player when he walks in with only and .287 OBP....how awful is that?
Alphonso is striking out 6 times as often as he walk. As you point out his OBP must be among the lowest in the majors for starters. He does hit home runs but does he hit them against good pitching or is he a mistake hitter? If they can pick him up for nothing I guess he can't hurt but I think its time that the Yankees start thinking beyond this season. I don't think Alphonso is going to push them past Tampa Bay or Baltimore.

Reaction Score
Alphonso is striking out 6 times as often as he walk. As you point out his OBP must be among the lowest in the majors for starters. He does hit home runs but does he hit them against good pitching or is he a mistake hitter? If they can pick him up for nothing I guess he can't hurt but I think its time that the Yankees start thinking beyond this season. I don't think Alphonso is going to push them past Tampa Bay or Baltimore.

Soriano has always been a free swinger and early on became too enamored of HRs, which is why NY was happy to trade him for ARod. I don't think anyone views him as a savior. It's a matter of whether he'll give NY more than Hafner or Wells. He and Wells have about the same OBP and Pronk is batting .209.

Reaction Score

Tampa Bay or Baltimore? I'm thinking they'll be past the Sox as things catch up to them...........we need to catch your team as they fall!!;).........O's and Rays will bypass the Sox

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Yankees are in a terrible place right now.

Reaction Score
The Yankees are in a terrible place right now.

Once again, 2 runs and only a Kuroda shutout gets them a W.....not good. Kuroda could have 15-16 wins with a regular Yankee lineup....easy, he's been great!

Reaction Score
If this was a "normal" year ... Kuroda would be in line for 20+ wins and in the mix for the Cy Young....

Reaction Score
Tampa Bay or Baltimore? I'm thinking they'll be past the Sox as things catch up to them...........we need to catch your team as they fall!!;).........O's and Rays will bypass the Sox
You will notice that I did not mention the Sox earlier. I agree that the O's and Rays will pass the Sox but I don't believe that the Yankees will. The Sox are talking about trading prospects for Jake Peavy and/or Cliff Lee and perhaps a closer. I would rather they do nothing. If that means no post season this year, so be it. I like their longer term prospects. In the meantime, the Yankees would be better served by getting younger. Soriano does not fit that strategy.

Reaction Score
Deal finalized. Cubs eat most of his $25 mil. salary, and get low level prospect. Should be playing this weekend against Rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom