Wife got me an iphone & Im lost | The Boneyard

Wife got me an iphone & Im lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Been using a Blackberry Curve for 2 yrs, with the track ball. The 4G seems great but, it is going to take a while to figure out. I've had to enter 50 passwords to find 3 apps, I had previously. Facebook, Ubersocial, and ESPN. Can anyone suggest more free/paid apps. I'm mostly into sports, a few games, and entertainment/music. Boneyard too. I think I have an ipod with this thing? I have No idea what I'm doing?

Reaction Score
Once you get the hang of it, the iphone is really easy to navigate. I love the espn scorecenter app because it sends you updates during games from any of the teams you choose. I dont know if youre into twitter, but they have an app and honestly thats where i get 95% of sports news and news in general from up to the minute. Pandora Radio is another must have app if you like music.

Reaction Score
Pandora (Internet Radio)

Shazam (Will tell you what any song is after hearing it for a few seconds

Reaction Score
Get Tweetdeck. It allows you to follow your Facebook and Twitter feeds in one spot. I have a ton of fantasy football, Jets, Mets, news sources on Twitter. Don't get my daily news from any other source.

Doodlejump is stupidly addictive.
Photosynth allows you to take a 360 degree picture.
Weatherbug is an excellent weather app.

If you have a Sirius/XM subscription, their app is great.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't remember which of them are free, but glancing at my phone...

Instapaper
Yahoo Sports
Tapatalk (for reading this board)
Reeder
Twitter
Convertbot
Find my iPhone
Urbanspoon
Open Table
Yelp
Trip It
Amazon
IMDB
Flixster
Red Laser
Epicurious
Netflix
Whatever app your TV provider has
Trailers
Remote (apple tv)
Dragon Dictation
Evernote
Dropbox
Camera Bag
Pano
Photoshop Express
Flashlight
Planets
Pinterest
Pandora
TuneIn Radio Pro
Audible
Stitcher

They all do stuff.

GemParty

Reaction Score
These suggestions are Great everyone, keep them coming- if u have a Favorite not presented here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I used to use Tapatalk in its early incarnations on my Android phone - hated it.

Gave it another shot recently and was impressed with the work they'd done on it.

At $2.99, if that's what it costs, it is a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
Gasbuddy is great, it gives you the cheapest gas closest to you. CTnow has an app too, which is great for local news if you live in CT.

AroundMe is another cool, self-explanatory app. It uses GPS to locate where you are and gives you lists of restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, etc. that are within a couple of miles of you.

MyRadar is pretty much Doppler for the iPhone.

SBnation is a good sports app. Has hundreds of team specific blogs, including the UConn Blog. A lot of great stuff throughout SBnation and a good layout too.

Reaction Score
U will love it. I got My 70+ old dad on one and he is a champ at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't remember which of them are free, but glancing at my phone...

You missed Flipboard and Zite two of my favorites.

Instapaper
Yahoo Sports
Tapatalk (for reading this board)
Reeder
Twitter
Convertbot
Find my iPhone
Urbanspoon
Open Table
Yelp
Trip It
Amazon
IMDB
Flixster
Red Laser
Epicurious
Netflix
Whatever app your TV provider has
Trailers
Remote (apple tv)
Dragon Dictation
Evernote
Dropbox
Camera Bag
Pano
Photoshop Express
Flashlight
Planets
Pinterest
Pandora
TuneIn Radio Pro
Audible
Stitcher

They all do stuff.

Reaction Score
Words with friends is a lot of fun. Also, I get my news from the world's finest news source, The Onion.

Reaction Score
GP, Thanks for asking.
ordered my first smart phone (ipone).
better late to the party than not at all.
I will prolly be lost as well LOL and will definitely benefit from everyones input...so thanks to ALL!!

Arrives Tuesday:)

Reaction Score
I second Yelp! I'm a huge Yelper. It's a review site for restaurants and what not. It also is a bit like foursquare where you can "check in" to restaurants or other stores you visit. Sometimes certain places will have deals or maybe something free if you show them you checked in (it'll pop up in the app.)

I write a ton of reviews for the site, basically anywhere where I eat or spend significant amounts of time outside of my place. However, if you're not one to do that, that's ok. It's got a fancy "nearby" function where you can browse the stores/restaurants nearby. This is particularly helpful if you're looking for a good place to eat. Then when you select one, you can read the reviews other people wrote along with a rating on price and other needed information (hours, do they accept credit cards, atmosphere, etc.)

I love the app so much.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Anyone know why I have to sign in to the Yard on Tapatalk now, or I can't read it? I can't remember my password, I am always signed in when I am on the home computer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yelp is a great app and a great site. I love it.

I do like Flipboard, I just prefer Reeder and Instapaper. (Also, love how Apple brought their text Reader to mobile Safari. Try it.)

You can log on as a guest on Tapatalk or you can log in using your normal board credentials.

Reaction Score
Fishy have you tried ZITE? It is like Flipbook except it learns what you like and starts to filter out other content over time- after a few weeks it really has just the stuff you want to read the most. It's free- I realize there are only so many of these things you can have but this one I like as well.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Just bought Tapatalk! First post from my phone. Awesome!

Reaction Score
I got an Iphone a few months ago after Verizon came on board and credit was up. Lifechanger. The one poster is spot on, once you get used to it(happens quick), it's a breeze navigating on it. It's about the most make sense, simplistic, innovative piece of machinery I've ever come across. My 3 year old flies through it. Sometimes feel like my world is on the phone, it does that much. For those that don't have twitter - if you have ADD like me, it's a must. You just have to design it with those analysts/personaities/reporters who you enjoy. You can get up to the minute everything and read it all in 30 seconds.

Reaction Score
If you have time to kill doodle jump is a very fun little game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Occasionally, I'll be somewhere that Urban Spoon has more relevance than Yelp, but that's really rare these days. E.g. I go to Burlington, Vermont once a year or so and for some reason, Urban Spoon covers the places I want to go better than Yelp does.

But I'd say 98 times out of 100, I prefer Yelp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom