Why would ESPN deliberately try to destroy UConn athletics? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why would ESPN deliberately try to destroy UConn athletics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This whole situation smacks of "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you".

It's certainly the case that, at this point, ESPN has a pure business interest in keeping us for cheap. I could also believe that keeping us in the BE/AAC served their business interests in the past.

It's just a little too coincidental that these supposed business interests also happen to align with the personal desires of their smug, Syracuse-grad workforce.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What additionally fuels the ESPN conspiracy theorists was the wording of the Boston College AD...

His words were construed to fit the fantasy...and because he admittedly did not want NE competition, folks took off with it and forgot the context.

“We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’

Sure...ESPN said.."look, the money is now in football"....Swofford has said the same. Don't think that all media contract partners do not advise on value of proposed entrants.

And, UConn was known as a basketball school and the football was not that highly considered

I know, I know..Huskies think that the football was good....but I have listed how an outsider might see it....

This has been gone over time and again. It's not that football was good...it's that it would be. We were a BE bottom dweller in the BE. Then we became the arguable the most dominant team. WE beat BC in hoops, what, 23 consecutive games? We built the most dominant women's program. Everyone knew that we'd build a good FB program. I remember all the message boards back then. They said it would take a decade to even be competitive. We formally joined the BE in 2004 and won the league for the first time 3 years later. We went to a BCS bowl just 7 years later. BC, et al were smart to fear UConn. And you left some of Flipper's quotes out...the ones where he said that BC wanted New England to be their turf.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yep Fishy. They get our hoops dirt cheap in the AAC, the real bargain for them, and to a lesser extent (much less) football.
B@stards.

Reaction Score
What additionally fuels the ESPN conspiracy theorists was the wording of the Boston College AD...

His words were construed to fit the fantasy...and because he admittedly did not want NE competition, folks took off with it and forgot the context.

“We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’

Sure...ESPN said.."look, the money is now in football"....Swofford has said the same. Don't think that all media contract partners do not advise on value of proposed entrants.

And, UConn was known as a basketball school and the football was not that highly considered. Syracuse was a Miami "must"...thier football wasn't great.

I know, I know..Huskies think that the football was good....but I have listed how an outsider might see it....

The football sucked. Syracuse football sucked. Pitt football sucked. This is why UConn went 7-3 and 6-4 against them. What are you talking about?

Reaction Score
1.Primary benefit
ESPN best case
The American is viable for ESPN as long as UConn is in it.

That scares me.
Is UConn smart enough to float the Big East story to discourage ESPN from that objective .
The Chioce we want to present them with is
If you can't prevent the Big 12 from exspanding you get significant additional value at incremental costs by adding UConn.
Because the alternative is UConn going 100% to Fox
That's what our guy is telling the folks in Bristol
Obviously the status quo is ESPN favorite outcome

Reaction Score
I worked there as a production assistant about 10 years ago and I can confirm this. We had to go around and meet with coordinating producers and it seemed every other one was a Syracuse grad and even some St. John's (the guy from Stump the Schwab). Many of the PA's came from midwest/south schools. I remember a lot of Notre Dame, Michigan State, UNC, UCLA, and smaller northeast schools like Quinnipiac. So while the company is located in CT, the makeup of many of the employees including the higher ups comes from all over the country where there would not be a interest in UConn's future.
Can say the same about UTC, all of the hedge fund/investment banking industry and most of senior management at the larger banks. The best Uconn grads tend to move out of state.

ESPN makes decisions based on cold, hard economic/profitability analyses. No different than any other company.

Reaction Score

And, UConn was known as a basketball school and the football was not that highly considered. Syracuse was a Miami "must"...thier football wasn't great.

Outsiders should do some research first. If you go back over the past 6 or 7 season, despite Pasqualoni being the coach for much of that time, UConn still managed to beat teams that are today in the P5 35% of the time beating teams like Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland, South Carolina, ND, and Louisville (who ironically got their bid to the ACC because their football was better than ours despite having trouble beating us). Some of our P5 losses were also close such as losing to Missouri last year 9-6. Please stop telling us we don't belong, because we've been competitive in football with P5 teams for a while now despite being a newcomer to this level of competition. The uninformed act like we go 1-11 every season and any time we play a team with a pulse get blown out 62-10. There are plenty of P5 teams that don't win 35% of their games against other P5 teams. I've seen some god awful P5 conference games that should be called for mercy at halftime. At least we've shown an upward trajectory and can also offer a conference the most prominent basketball program in the country, a good academic profile, and a healthy media market. Now we hear about how awesome Houston is and because their football is better than ours they should be selected to a P5 conference ahead of us... despite losing to us just last season. Much like the current political climate in this country, it's like we're living in a twilight zone where facts don't matter and even if you show someone the facts their only response is that it is their opinion despite being obviously incorrect. The fact that we even have to argue whether or not UConn is a P5 team is proof that something beyond the control of the university is at work because on the basis of traditional factors, we're no worse than a middle of the pack P5 team.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Agree - that is not an accident.
So is someone from UConn talking to Blauds, or someone in the BE still pining for us, or both?

Reaction Score
The football sucked. Syracuse football sucked. Pitt football sucked. This is why UConn went 7-3 and 6-4 against them. What are you talking about?

As I have posted..and folks scream..but an outsiders view of UConn football is different.

1...UConn has never beat a team in the ACC who had a winning conference record

2...UConn has never finished the year ranked

3....UConn has never had a double digit win season

3...the year UConn went to a BCS bowl...they were 8-5 in a three way tie for the conference championship (along with Louisville, WVU).

...Syracuse was a 5 time Conference Champ (twice alone and three shared)
...Cuse had finished AP ranked 5 times since 1990..last in 2001 (#14)
...Shalala was a Cuse grad and Miami had to have them (most of the reason)

...Pitt finished AP ranked in 2004, 2009...as high as #15 in 2009
...granted that Pitt isn't a great football program...but they have tradition, a brand, and finished AP ranked in the years before coming to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Can say the same about UTC, all of the hedge fund/investment banking industry and most of senior management at the larger banks. The best Uconn grads tend to move out of state.

ESPN makes decisions based on cold, hard economic/profitability analyses. No different than any other company.
Connecticut has a sizeable hedge fund/financial services industry. There's a hedge fund every 10 feet in Greenwich, and a lot of big recognizable companies have buildings in Stamford from RBS to UBS to Thomson Reuters just to name a few that you can't miss as you're passing through on I-95.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
This whole situation smacks of "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you".

It's certainly the case that, at this point, ESPN has a pure business interest in keeping us for cheap. I could also believe that keeping us in the BE/AAC served their business interests in the past.

It's just a little too coincidental that these supposed business interests also happen to align with the personal desires of their smug, Syracuse-grad workforce.

If ya wanna go full conspiracy theory we should check and see if Edsall's account was funded by the world wide leader.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
As I have posted..and folks scream..but an outsiders view of UConn football is different.

3...the year UConn went to a BCS bowl...they were 8-5 in a three way tie for the conference championship (along with Louisville, WVU).

...granted that Pitt isn't a great football program...but they have tradition, a brand, and finished AP ranked in the years before coming to the ACC.

S T F U and go away.

Reaction Score
Connecticut has a sizeable hedge fund/financial services industry. There's a hedge fund every 10 feet in Greenwich, and a lot of big recognizable companies have buildings in Stamford from RBS to UBS to Thomson Reuters just to name a few that you can't miss as you're passing through on I-95.
How many are run by Uconn grads? Not any off the top of my head.

Uconn has great grads and great programs but to state ESPN is killing Uconn because of Cuse grads is pretty inane.

Reaction Score
How many are run by Uconn grads? Not any off the top of my head.

Uconn has great grads and great programs but to state ESPN is killing Uconn because of Cuse grads is pretty inane.
Probably not many, but to be fair, those types of companies tend to be run by folks with Ivy heavy resumes. While not a lot of UConn grads are running them, neither are a lot of Syracuse grads or BC grads. The taxes are better in CT than NY which is why a lot of them set up shop here, and also, places like Greenwich/Stamford/Darien/New Canaan are very commutable to the city while allowing one to own property with a low tax rate compared to say Westchester or Long Island.

Reaction Score
Probably not many, but to be fair, those types of companies tend to be run by folks with Ivy heavy resumes. While not a lot of UConn grads are running them, neither are a lot of Syracuse grads or BC grads. The taxes are better in CT than NY which is why a lot of them set up shop here, and also, places like Greenwich/Stamford/Darien/New Canaan are very commutable to the city while allowing one to own property with a low tax rate compared to say Westchester or Long Island.
Preaching to someone who markets services to them.

Point is, that very few major corps in CT are run by Uconn grads and that makes ESPN one of the crowd and not unique. ESPN makes cold calculating decisions and where the execs went to school has no impact on their decisions.

Reaction Score

BB - I wish only the best for you, but you can go the away...

Reaction Score

Three way tie was with WVU and Pitt. Two great games that UConn won at home.

2010 Big East football standings
Conf
Overall
Team
W L W L
Connecticut $+ 5 – 2 8 – 5
West Virginia + 5 – 2 9 – 4
Pittsburgh + 5 – 2 8 – 5
Syracuse 4 – 3 8 – 5
South Florida 3 – 4 8 – 5
Louisville 3 – 4 7 – 6
Cincinnati 2 – 5 4 – 8
Rutgers 1 – 6 4 – 8
  • $ – BCS representative as conference champion
  • + – Conference co-champions

Reaction Score

You don't get it. UConn won 67% of the games against the teams you are touting. Te heyday of those teams has come and gone. UConn was taking players from the same New England and New York schools that Syracuse used to feast on.

You're probably not even aware that All-Pro NFL guys like Floyd Little, Dwight Freeney, Tebucky Jones, came from Connecticut HS and they went to Syracuse because they didn't have a good alternative at home. Heck, current Kansas City Chief and Pro Bowler Tyvon Branch chose UConn and he grew up in Syracuse. When UConn came into the league, Syracuse experienced a huge dent in recruiting, and it hurt them badly.

Reaction Score
Based on ESPN's press on UConn's during the probation, lack of positive press during each realignment phase, and how quick they switched from UConn winning the 2014 championship to Kentucky's latest recruiting class in comparison to ESPN's press (or lack there of) with respect to what has taken place at UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, etc. and propping-up various other programs during realignment, I would say YES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom