Why USC cannot win on Monday night? | The Boneyard

Why USC cannot win on Monday night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USC has not played a complete 40 minute game this season. Against inferior teams they have struggled and allowed these teams to hang around until the last 5 or 6 minutes. UCONN will expose this early and not allow USC to get the crowd into the game. Geno knows the best way to quiet a crowd is hit them early and jump into a huge lead before half then put it away early in the 2nd half.........UCONN is geared for 40 minutes.......LOOKOUT!!!

UCONN 84...........USC 56

Reaction Score
It may be a matter of playing to the competition? I too have watched several of their games and concur with you. I think a #2 team in the country should be taking care of business a heck of a lot better than they have at the likes of Texas A&M (twice) and Mississippi St. Kentucky and Vandy haven't exactly been cake-walks as I think UCONN would have made them. 28 point victory on the road? That's a lot to ask but certainly possible if the momentum shifts as it did in that UCONN/Notre Dame game that one year (2014 was it?) when Lloyd was on fire the first half and then disappeared and UCONN took the crowd out of the game late in the first half with one of their patented runs, as Doris Burke would say. If Tuck/Stewart can contain Coates/Wilson to about 20-25 points total it's a lock, regardless of what Mitchell does.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be stunned by a big win- but I'd be surprised. This is So Carolina's biggest chance until next yr to beat the big dog. A lot has to go right for a big win.
One being - will Morgan Tuck be Morgan Tuck?

Reaction Score
USC has not played a complete 40 minute game this season. Against inferior teams they have struggled and allowed these teams to hang around until the last 5 or 6 minutes. UCONN will expose this early and not allow USC to get the crowd into the game. Geno knows the best way to quiet a crowd is hit them early and jump into a huge lead before half then put it away early in the 2nd half....UCONN is geared for 40 minutes..LOOKOUT!!!

UCONN 84......USC 56

The people who predicts a huge blow out should go take a second mortgage out on their house and put it all on UConn to cover the spread.

Reaction Score
Not gonna take you up on that pvdoggy ... but the line (UConn favored by 12) is too tight. I'm predicting UConn by 21, and I know that may be a stretch. (I'm going off of UConn's recent play, plus expectation that Mo and Stewie bring their A+ games). But I have a hard time justifying a spread less than 15.

BTW, I can definitely imagine SC winning the game. If Mo has an off game, the threes don't fall and SC brings their A game it could be very close. Unlikely but very possible.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
S.C. is a bit of a conundrum to me this year... but I do love how many cylinders they Huskies are hitting on at the moment - both on offense and defense. I don't think the Gamecocks can score enough points..

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Not gonna take you up on that pvdoggy ... but the line (UConn favored by 12) is too tight. I'm predicting UConn by 21, and I know that may be a stretch.

I'm with you on this one. I think the margin is going to closer to 20 than 12 :)

Reaction Score
Does So Cal play hoops?........Either way, UCONN wins going away barring injuries. Great point above, USC does not score enough points against bad team's and against UCONN, even less........I am hoping for a good game, but history tells me something different. The Gamecocks have not played any team this season that will challenge them for 40 minutes on both ends of the floor...

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Of course South Carolina could win. I think it's unlikely, provided UConn plays their game. The level of hubris on this board is unbelievable sometimes, clearly we are doomed!

Reaction Score
SC doesn't shoot the three often or very well. Their success will be Tiffany and their bigs. Dawn is going to have them pound it into the bigs and try to get Stewie and Morgan in foul trouble. That's what I would do. :):)

Reaction Score
While there are many ways to analyze the "data" concern all the issues and possibilities discussed above, to me the over-riding issue is the test between the type of players UCONN recruits and those in contrast playing at SC. To wit, as we all know and is oft repeated here and in the media, TEAM is the concept that is the winning formula at UCONN. I think SC falls short of the kind of team play UCONN is capable of, and therefore, despite indisputable individual talent at SC, UCONN will prevail. By the way, I am aware UCONN tried to recruit Wilson. I bet she would be demonstrating different "talents" were she playing for UCONN than will be displayed tomorrow night. The win will be further evidence of Geno's genius.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Should UConn win? Yes! Will they win? They should? Now, the reality. Asia Dozier may not play... Tuck is still a little rusty. We are on the road in front of 18,000 people...there could be some jitters for our freshmen. So. Carolina is undefeated defending the home court. Foul Trouble could change the complexion of the game. Bad refereeing...a couple of bad calls at the wrong time could change the outcome of the game. Game time injuries (let's pray none happen for either team)...could change a game. Top players could have a bad night, a mediocre player could step up and have the game of their life... You see it is really hard to go undefeated, it is really hard to win on the road, it is really hard to predict with certainty in a #1 vs #2 who is going to win. I think it is rare these days that we UConn fans have an opportunity to see our team play in a game of magnitude during the regular season. Since we are winding down the last third of the season this game comes at a great time to give us an opportunity to test our girls with enough time to make adjustments for April when it really counts. I say no matter what let's all sit back and enjoy a great game of basketball played the way it is supposed to be played.

GG

Reaction Score
Although I believe UCONN is the better team, I am expecting a close game. I'm hoping UCONN can pull it out in the end. SC's interior concerns me, but more so now that Tuck is not at 100%. Anytime you can win in a hostile environment, that is impressive. Go UCONN!!

Reaction Score
Should UConn win? Yes! Will they win? They should? Now, the reality. Asia Dozier may not play... Tuck is still a little rusty. We are on the road in front of 18,000 people...there could be some jitters for our freshmen. So. Carolina is undefeated defending the home court. Foul Trouble could change the complexion of the game. Bad refereeing...a couple of bad calls at the wrong time could change the outcome of the game. Game time injuries (let's pray none happen for either team)...could change a game. Top players could have a bad night, a mediocre player could step up and have the game of their life... You see it is really hard to go undefeated, it is really hard to win on the road, it is really hard to predict with certainty in a #1 vs #2 who is going to win. I think it is rare these days that we UConn fans have an opportunity to see our team play in a game of magnitude during the regular season. Since we are winding down the last third of the season this game comes at a great time to give us an opportunity to test our girls with enough time to make adjustments for April when it really counts. I say no matter what let's all sit back and enjoy a great game of basketball played the way it is supposed to be played.
+1000

Reaction Score
Does anyone else feel as if this game has a touch of the 1995 game between at the time #1 Tennessee @ #2 UCONN in Storrs? IMO this game became the staple game that put UCONN on the map. Somehow I am thinking that Dawn may be using this angle as well. In 1995, Tennessee's reputation is what UCONNs is right now...the most dominating program in WCBB (although there really is not comparison; UCONN's program right now is light years away from everyone else).

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
It will be difficult for UCONN to blow out SC in their own building. Dawn has her team in a much better place than last year. They missed Welch's leadership earlier in the season but SC seams to be gelling. Often they have been in close games but they fight through their offensive deficiencies to come back and win. That tells me that Dawn has them believing in themselves. Dozier being out is a non-factor and the Wilson/Coates tandem is far more productive than this time last year. Look for a close game and my sense is that we don't beat the spread but, of course , we win on the back of Mo and Stewie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom