Why UCONN wins by 30+ every game? | The Boneyard

Why UCONN wins by 30+ every game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who tried to watch the Lady Vols and Texas game today?. COACHING!!!!!!!........Same old Tenn, poor execution, poor shooting and zero team defense....Texas can at least shoot the ball a little.......UCONN beats both teams by 40 ++...Just SAD!!!

Reaction Score
You are being very kind in your statement..........Just sad to watch.................Tenn was a top 5 elite program 10 + years ago.........HW is too old school and her players do not buy into her coaching..........Too much 1 on 1 junk.........I call it play ground BB.........

Reaction Score
While Warlick isn't the greatest of coaches, the fact is she's running the same game plans as Summitt. The difference is Pat was a motivator and recruiter on the same level as Geno, while Warlick just looks bored and unsure of what to do when the boat springs a leak. Tennessee's style of play is largely unchanged from 30 years ago and simply does not translate well today. Pat did most of her damage in the sport's nascent years before anyone had internet beyond AOL. I wonder if a Summitt led Tennessee would be as successful today as it was in the '90s. Nowadays you can't just be great at defense and rebounding. Tennessee desperately needs to recruit players that can put the ball through the hoop consistently. There is no one on their team that would start for UConn. Maybe DeShields comes off the bench as the 6th or 7th option, but if she's just a chucker, then even TLaw would get in the game before her. Tennesse needs to build a team and get some coaches that understand how to run offense. Seems like everyone that is trying to catch up with UConn is trying to do it by collecting as many stars as they can. In my opinion that's a bit like using a hammer to drive a screw: it can work, but might not be optimal. The genius behind UConn's success is that the program builds teams with players that fit together and not just trying to hoover up every 4 or 5 star recruit and/or transfer and hoping it works.

Reaction Score
While Warlick isn't the greatest of coaches, the fact is she's running the same game plans as Summitt. The difference is Pat was a motivator and recruiter on the same level as Geno, while Warlick just looks bored and unsure of what to do when the boat springs a leak. Tennessee's style of play is largely unchanged from 30 years ago and simply does not translate well today. Pat did most of her damage in the sport's nascent years before anyone had internet beyond AOL. I wonder if a Summitt led Tennessee would be as successful today as it was in the '90s. Nowadays you can't just be great at defense and rebounding. Tennessee desperately needs to recruit players that can put the ball through the hoop consistently. There is no one on their team that would start for UConn. Maybe DeShields comes off the bench as the 6th or 7th option, but if she's just a chucker, then even TLaw would get in the game before her. Tennesse needs to build a team and get some coaches that understand how to run offense. Seems like everyone that is trying to catch up with UConn is trying to do it by collecting as many stars as they can. In my opinion that's a bit like using a hammer to drive a screw: it can work, but might not be optimal. The genius behind UConn's success is that the program builds teams with players that fit together and not just trying to hoover up every 4 or 5 star recruit and/or transfer and hoping it works.

Really smart analysis, HF. As for Diamond, she's a really great player, great athlete, great feel for the game. Too bad she has to be burdened by 4 others mucking up the court. Hey, get it to number 11 and move out of the way.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure whether Diamond would be a good fit at UConn- but I think to say she wouldn't start at UConn is insane. She is very possibly one of the best shooters in WCBB. She can leap over the rim. I watched the game today. She can create her own shots at anytime. She's Prolific. She will be a great WNBA star and Olympian.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not sure whether Diamond would be a good fit at UConn- but I think to say she wouldn't start at UConn is insane. She is very possibly one of the best shooters in WCBB. She can leap over the rim. I watched the game today. She can create her own shots at anytime. She's Prolific. She will be a great WNBA star and Olympian.
She wouldn't start as her game is currently constituted at TN. The reason is team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Diamond would definitely start for UConn as long as she was healthy. She's a Dynamic Player and I suspect if she had come to UConn, she would have developed Maya like tenancies. Kia and Gabby are great in UConn's system, but Diamond would be an upgrade to either of them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
geno-ista - I think the jury is still out on DD. This was a very good game for her, no question, but her YTD (and her freshman) numbers are more similar to Simmons than to Sims or Jewel. She is exciting and dynamic but has yet to prove she can be efficient, and unfortunately for her she has not had yet the quality of coaching she would have gotten at Baylor or ND to help her on that road.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I really hate the "would Pat be a good coach today" talk, as if her accomplishments were dog meat. Don't transfer Holly's coaching onto Pat in an effort to tarnish the legacy of Pat Summitt.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Even if Diamond never improves and Tennessee never improves during her time there, she will be a lottery draft choice in the WNBA and will have a long and probably All-Star career there. The WNBA can deal with individual play and to some extent is designed around it.

Geno made a comment the other day about how Stewie's scoring is limited because "we only need her to take 15 shots a night". He went on to say that if the team needed her to take 25 shots per game, she might average 40-50 points per game. While Stewie's talent is obvious to WNBA teams, Diamond might benefit (in terms of her draft position) from the greater individual exposure that she will get at Tennessee, compared to what she would have had at UConn. So her choice of schools may have some rational basis.

I sense in her a very strong desire to do things her way -- she talked in a Voepel interview about not wanting a coach who would try to change what she was doing in any major way. Geno's recent comments about Stewie suggest that she may have had similar inclinations, but (albeit with some reluctance) she was ready to be coached. Probably the same thing was true of Diana. But the tendency seems to be even stronger in Diamond, which means that it is probably a good thing that she did not accept UConn's scholarship offer.

Reaction Score

She's definitely athletic and loves to shoot. She'll fit right in on a WNBA team. Lousy coaching there as well. As far as the Olympics, not so sure what a teammate she would be. As a UConn player, she might start, but not last long. She stands around A LOT...waiting for the ball. That would work for a couple of possessions and then....

Reaction Score
Who tried to watch the Lady Vols and Texas game today?. COACHING!!!!!!!...Same old Tenn, poor execution, poor shooting and zero team defense....Texas can at least shoot the ball a little..UCONN beats both teams by 40 ++...Just SAD!!!

Right on, Baby. This is another game that just puts back women's BB. Reminded me of a boys 8th grade game. Dribble, dribble, shoot! Sometimes the ball actually hits the backboard. If my buddies experienced this conflagration, I'll get more grief for watching the ladies. Guess I just gotta keep sending them links to the UConn games. Uggggghhhhh!

Reaction Score
Tonight we saw how real WCBB is played.........Defense, hard screens, team defense and excellent half court offense when needed.

Reaction Score
I said this years ago. Pat was never an assistant to anybody, and never had a chance to watch and learn. It was all defense and rebounding and the game grew away from her. Holly with 30 years of Pat never saw or learned anything else. The results were predictable with Holly.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
She wouldn't start as her game is currently constituted at TN. The reason is team.
She would be the 3rd most talented player on our team was my point IB- whether she would play within our system- I'm not sure she would or wouldn't?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
geno-ista - I think the jury is still out on DD. This was a very good game for her, no question, but her YTD (and her freshman) numbers are more similar to Simmons than to Sims or Jewel. She is exciting and dynamic but has yet to prove she can be efficient, and unfortunately for her she has not had yet the quality of coaching she would have gotten at Baylor or ND to help her on that road.
I watched the Texas game- when they needed someone to lead she led. Hope she gets or stays healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom