Why UConn will never play in the Metro/American 12 | The Boneyard

Why UConn will never play in the Metro/American 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It isn't because of the termination clause insisted upon by NBC and inherited by ESPN which specifically mentions UConn;

It isn't because of Delany's slip concerning southern New England and Northern Virginia;

It isn't because of persistent rumblings from Big Ten AD's and media personnel with respect to their open fondness for east coast exposure;

It isn't because of Delany's comment this week that one of the reasons that Rutgers and Maryland were added was to combat the ACC's entry into "New York and Pennsylvania";

It isn't because of UConn unprecedented commitment to STEM funding and research, research, research, Jackson Park, Storrs Tech Center, and the poaching of high-value professors from elite universities;

It isn't because of Herbst's silence on UConn's long-term strategy and goal to improve its conference position;

It isn't because of Manuel's invisibility on the most pressing issue facing the athletic department;

It's because UConn agreed to something that it otherwise did not have to, and to which any prudent institution would have demurred, had it believed it was in the Metro/American 12 for a more than a temporary period of time. And that is allowing Navy to keep its home game revenue for and through the 2015, 2016, and 2017 season. The Big East's agreement runs through 2020. Who knows, and I doubt that even Navy does, what will happen after the 2017 season, but this much is known now:

UConn could have kept it's home tv rights, at least with respect to nonconference games, for basketball, both men's and women's, as well as it's home football tv rights which includes games against Michigan and Tennessee. Parenthetically, they already have a partner that can easily produce and sell the games.

It is specious to suggest that since Navy already was contractually obligated to CBS that that is the reason why it gets to keep the revenue. This revenue with a stroke of a pen could be assigned to the Metro 12/American 12. But it wasn't. It is neither a difficult thing to do this, nor is it unprecedented. In fact, it is the opposite It is easy and usual. yet the slippery slope was greased further, and UConn purposefully did not take advantage of it.

The addition of Navy for football is not needed in the sense that the Metro/American 12 needed to acquiesce to what objectively is a sweetheart deal. They provide imbalance with olympic sports, and with their most valuable attribute taken off the table ( Navy/Notre Dame and Army/Navy) what value then does Navy bring? That is why Tulsa, then UMass, will be added to the American 12/Metro 12. With Navy and its sweetheart deal, that is a comfortable 12 team conference.

And for all the faults that we attribute to Herbst and Manuel, there is no way that they would have not bargained for this had they believed that it would have mattered. And the only way that it would not matter would be if UConn isn't in the Metro/American 12.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
And for all the faults that we attribute to Herbst and Manuel, there is no way that they would have not bargained for this had they believed that it would have mattered. And the only way that it would not matter would be if UConn isn't in the Metro/American 12.

I sure hope you are right. I have continued to give Herbst the benefit of the doubt on this. But I sure hope that 5 years from now we are not stuck back looking at what horrendous decisions were made as Herbst is sitting as President at some other university.

Reaction Score
Here is my problem with this. Given how Uconn has thought they were out this mish mash a couple times only to be rebuffed why wouldn't they have negotiated this "just in case?" Uconn can't really count on anything at this point.

Reaction Score
"UConn could have kept it's home tv rights, at least with respect to nonconference games, for basketball, both men's and women's, as well as it's home football tv rights which includes games against Michigan and Tennessee. Parenthetically, they already have a partner that can easily produce and sell the games."

... and you know this how?

Reaction Score
The big difference would seem to be that Navy has more leverage in that they already have a conference for all sports and could keep on doing their thing independent in football. UCONN's position is strong, but they wouldn't have been able to do the Indy thing as easily

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think you grossly overrate Herbst's intelligence and competency.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You may as well just say it's because the voices in your head tell you they won't ever play in the league. It makes about as much sense.

Reaction Score
There is so little money involved in whether Navy has the rights or not that no one cares. People aren't going to quibble over their share of $2m. Who cares?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think they believed it didn't matter, but primarily because the money isn't enough to fight over. You have to weigh the benefit (what, a few hundred thousand dollars) versus the cost (discouraging Navy from joining to an agreement that had already been made).

Reaction Score
Here is my problem with this. Given how Uconn has thought they were out this mish mash a couple times only to be rebuffed why wouldn't they have negotiated this "just in case?" Uconn can't really count on anything at this point.

Exactly. No matter what they THINK will happen, it would be colossally stupid not to negotiate the best possible deal under the current situation.

It would be like a 50-year old saying, "I'm going to spend all my retirement money because my doctor told me I've got 15 years to live."

Things change. Not planning for that possibility is extremely poor management. Particularly in a such a fluid situation as conference realighment.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Now THAT is a conspiracy theory. See Nelson? This is how it's done...

Reaction Score
So you're saying the reason we won't play in the Amchop 12 is that their/our deal is so terrible we couldn't have agreed to it unless we knew we'd be gone? I hope you're right but it's also possible the deal just sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom