Why UConn must beat South Carolina | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why UConn must beat South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congratulations! You just presented the primary point for tomorrow's thread, "WHY IT'S ONLY FAIR THAT UCONN BEATS SOUTH CAROLINA".....

Then comes Friday's thread, "WHY UCONN BEATING SOUTH CAROLINA IS THE AMERICAN WAY"...

:rolleyes: :D
For the good of humankind, sometime next week???

Reaction Score
UCONN must take this game to work on things it will need to win in the tournament...against this team and the rest of the pack. My feelings are the same as they were two years ago. We have an opportunity for an NC, and this game is a stepping stone toward that objective. Just as I chalked up the losses to ND during the regular season as necessary to the development of some key players then, I take the long view here as well.

Reaction Score
UCONN must take this game to work on things it will need to win in the tournament...against this team and the rest of the pack. My feelings are the same as they were two years ago. We have an opportunity for an NC, and this game is a stepping stone toward that objective. Just as I chalked up the losses to ND during the regular season as necessary to the development of some key players then, I take the long view here as well.

UConn must win? No, however UConn will win. Let me give you 19 simple reasons why in three sentences. The NCAA keeps 20 statistical categories each week to rank all 343 D1 women's college teams including points, FG% offense and defense, scoring margin, assists, etc. UConn is #1 or #2 in 9 of the areas, top 10 in 13, while South Carolina only matches UConn in one category,number of wins so far(by the time they play both will have won 22 games) Finally the game is being played in Storrs.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UConn must win? No, however UConn will win. Let me give you 19 simple reasons why in three sentences. The NCAA keeps 20 statistical categories each week to rank all 343 D1 women's college teams including points, FG% offense and defense, scoring margin, assists, etc. UConn is #1 or #2 in 9 of the areas, top 10 in 13, while South Carolina only matches UConn in one category,number of wins so far(by the time they play both will have won 22 games) Finally the game is being played in Storrs.
Minor point perhaps, but accuracy does count since USCar posters contribute here and will rightly point out incorrect statements. Of the 20 categories (18 of which show rankings for all teams), UConn is ahead of USCar in 16 categories and behind in 4. Those four include winning percentage, scoring defense, 3-pt FG% defense, and offensive rebounds.

Yes, UConn has less chances for offensive rebounds because it shoots much better, and both the discrepancies in the defensive measures are greatly affected by the long stretches of 2nd half play for the reserves, but still, it is better to be accurate.

Reaction Score
why must? It is not the final in NCAA. UConn already lost a game this season and there is no need to fight for a new winning streak or no-loss season. Does it really make a difference for a one-loss or two-loss season? i remember UT lost 10 games one year and still managed to win the season finale.

Reaction Score
My previous post may have been confusing...I don't think this game is a must win for UCONN...

I, too, think this is a game that UCONN should win. I don't see the Gamecocks as being battle hardened enough to play the game they need to play. That doesn't mean we will win, Stanford proved that with a fabulous display 3-point shooting early that opened up driving lanes that looked like earthquake fissures. My only point is that we have an opportunity to use this game to make us better at tourney time, and if that entails increasing the risk of losing...so be it!

Reaction Score
We have a lot more active message boards than just Cocky Talk, though, so it's spread out more. There are quite a few WBB threads in Fowl Shots, though. As far as the Hen House, that's mostly for women to discuss hot guys; they don't really discuss sports in there.

I have a hypothetical question for you guys: you play in Memphis on the Saturday before you play the Gamecocks. How upset would you fans be if there was another blizzard and both teams couldn't get to Storrs? I would be pretty upset, but we have a lot of other big games left before the NCAAT.
Chicken if we are to wax hypothetical over this game not being held due to weather, relax. We are tough here in the north and always find a way. Our team will get your team and fans to the game, dress warm!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Chicken if we are to wax hypothetical over this game not being held due to weather, relax. We are tough here in the north and always find a way. Our team will get your team and fans to the game, dress warm!
As a northerner, myself, I agree.

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP though for different reasons. This is a "must" win.

First off it's not about "we have to win" just for this year. It's how the loss may benefit our competition for the future in terms of recruiting.

Secondly- not as much this year - because I expect us to win- but for the future both South Carolina and Notre Dame are threats for future recruiting. We've all seen the show on just a short time ago or heard about it before regarding Stewie and her recruitment. It's no different with many other kids. If USC comes into our house and beats us in which we have a superior team it is possible to give a kid "pause." They're in our house and have no business beating our superior team this year. There is no reason to accept anything less and therefore we should kick the opposing team back to their home state the way "Little Bill kicked the crap out English Bob" and sent him out of his town. Kick the threat back.

Third we have to win vs our rivals which not only makes us look good in younger kids eyes but also you want the future recruits thinking of the UCONN superstars rather than the opposing team's superstars such as what we heard Kia Nurse say. yes I'm calling USC a rival and of course ND is. Next year both teams will also be terrific and for me I respect their coaching though Dawn hasn't even gotten to a ff yet. I think she will. I respect it.

Fourth- we need to build up our conference as soon as possible. We're the favorites and as the favorites the best way to build up the conference is to make it clear for the next two years we're the undisputed top dog. Losing at home having a superior team gives some credence to Dawn Staley's remarks of "she played pro ball "blah blah blah." Greg Poppovich the finest NBA coach never played pro ball. And it gives momentum to Muffett and the overall arrogance of Notre Dame. I still chuckle to hear anyone from Notre Dame accusing another person/school as arrogant -- and the same school is a partial reason why we aren't in a P5 conference. If we lose to USC and ND beats USC in NCAA's it just keeps ND established as a premiere program. If Elena Delle Donne came to UCONN or if UCONN would heave learned earlier - we would never have heard all that blather from last year. Losing this year to ND (in NCAA's if we meet) or USC opens doors for them in the future even if it is just a reg. season game. We need to cut down this risk now and make it clear that no doubt we are the best. This may give some teams in our conference that extra bump in recruiting in which 2 teams get in, then 3, then 4 etc like what we did for the Big East.

Jim Boheim had said during the Donyell Marshall years that UCONN won some big games that were extremely crucial for the conference. In the 90's beginning with Donyell - we were the only perennial top-tier team at the tops of the rankings on a consistent basis. And of course the women - they carried the conference. We need to carry the conference again and we need to beat the best of the SEC and the ACC when we have the superior talent to do so. Don't let them whisper like ND implied that they got our number. Both programs are tough - we have ot beat them when we are superior in talent.

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP though for different reasons. This is a "must" win.

First off it's not about "we have to win" just for this year. It's how the loss may benefit our competition for the future in terms of recruiting.

Secondly- not as much this year - because I expect us to win- but for the future both South Carolina and Notre Dame are threats for future recruiting. We've all seen the show on just a short time ago or heard about it before regarding Stewie and her recruitment. It's no different with many other kids. If USC comes into our house and beats us in which we have a superior team it is possible to give a kid "pause." They're in our house and have no business beating our superior team this year. There is no reason to accept anything less and therefore we should kick the opposing team back to their home state the way "Little Bill kicked the crap out English Bob" and sent him out of his town. Kick the threat back.

Third we have to win vs our rivals which not only makes us look good in younger kids eyes but also you want the future recruits thinking of the UCONN superstars rather than the opposing team's superstars such as what we heard Kia Nurse say. yes I'm calling USC a rival and of course ND is. Next year both teams will also be terrific and for me I respect their coaching though Dawn hasn't even gotten to a ff yet. I think she will. I respect it.

Fourth- we need to build up our conference as soon as possible. We're the favorites and as the favorites the best way to build up the conference is to make it clear for the next two years we're the undisputed top dog. Losing at home having a superior team gives some credence to Dawn Staley's remarks of "she played pro ball "blah blah blah." Greg Poppovich the finest NBA coach never played pro ball. And it gives momentum to Muffett and the overall arrogance of Notre Dame. I still chuckle to hear anyone from Notre Dame accusing another person/school as arrogant -- and the same school is a partial reason why we aren't in a P5 conference. If we lose to USC and ND beats USC in NCAA's it just keeps ND established as a premiere program. If Elena Delle Donne came to UCONN or if UCONN would heave learned earlier - we would never have heard all that blather from last year. Losing this year to ND (in NCAA's if we meet) or USC opens doors for them in the future even if it is just a reg. season game. We need to cut down this risk now and make it clear that no doubt we are the best. This may give some teams in our conference that extra bump in recruiting in which 2 teams get in, then 3, then 4 etc like what we did for the Big East.

Jim Boheim had said during the Donyell Marshall years that UCONN won some big games that were extremely crucial for the conference. In the 90's beginning with Donyell - we were the only perennial top-tier team at the tops of the rankings on a consistent basis. And of course the women - they carried the conference. We need to carry the conference again and we need to beat the best of the SEC and the ACC when we have the superior talent to do so. Don't let them whisper like ND implied that they got our number. Both programs are tough - we have ot beat them when we are superior in talent.

Lol....Lil Bill & English Bob huh.....lmbo.....And to say nice read for sure. I like this reading.

Reaction Score
My previous post may have been confusing...I don't think this game is a must win for UCONN...

I, too, think this is a game that UCONN should win. I don't see the Gamecocks as being battle hardened enough to play the game they need to play. That doesn't mean we will win, Stanford proved that with a fabulous display 3-point shooting early that opened up driving lanes that looked like earthquake fissures. My only point is that we have an opportunity to use this game to make us better at tourney time, and if that entails increasing the risk of losing...so be it!

The reason it is a must win for uconn has been already stated through various posters. South Carolina is ranked #1..its a must win to beat a #1 ranked team as much as it is to beat a team tanked #250. It's a must win also (As One Poster Already Said) "because it's darn good for recruiting & this is Uconn's house"

It's making a statement in the living room of every high ranking recruit just as much as (Rebecca Lobo & Company) games did against the Lady Vols. And it seals the overall #1 seed.

And even if UCONN has won championships when they were not the overall #1 seed, it still matters. Who in the world would utter that losing don't matter?

You can't win them all yes we know that. But that don't mean when they go out there on that floor they're not trying. And when it comes to March Madness...(As I've Always Said) Get yourselves in position. in addition, when it comes to playing teams who have established themselves as a dominant team you better beat them!

Lose this game and we won't stop hearing the last of it..."It don't matter? This is not a must win? Ainnit?

Additionally, just because someone wins a national title (after obtaining 4 loses during the regular season against ND & Baylor 2 years ago) doesn't mean it dont matter. Lets not get too cocky to think nothing is impossible. All things are possible. Because it matters to UCONN...As they would play those games again against Baylor & ND just for a win. Thats how competitive they are.

No one plays to lose. A competitive spirit believes in winning every game even if they don't. They don't have (4) undefeated seasons for nothing.

I hope they beat the breaks off of SC and keep winning all the way to the big dance. That Stanford game left a bitter sour tastes in uconn's mouth. A taste they won't forget and do not want repeated. Especially in their house. Ainnit now.

Reaction Score
There is simply NO reason why UCONN must beat SC, this entire thread has gotten silly. Do I think they will ...YES but it is not life or death.
The only must win games for UCONN are in the up coming tourny when it is one and done. The folks that think this game must be won are the same ones that believe our team should win every game every year. Where does that leave the theory of compitition? How does that develop competition?

Tenn stopped playing us for more reasons than Maya. For rivalries to develop both teams have to lose to the other now and then. For those that think one game will kill recruiting they are new to the game. Coaches rule when it comes to that. Geno's own words " there are two types of coaches those who can recruit and those looking for a job".

Uconn is in no danger of losing a turney spot or a recruit over this game. What they are losing for those that want to face reality is fannies in the seats due to continual 40 point blow outs! Pun intended, that is the bottom line.
I hope we kick the Chickens butts but either way it is just another step on the ladder to cutting down the nets. Win or lose the staff will have prep for the game that really counts!

Reaction Score
There is simply NO reason why UCONN must beat SC, this entire thread has gotten silly. Do I think they will ...YES but it is not life or death.
The only must win games for UCONN are in the up coming tourny when it is one and done. The folks that think this game must be won are the same ones that believe our team should win every game every year. Where does that leave the theory of compitition? How does that develop competition?

Tenn stopped playing us for more reasons than Maya. For rivalries to develop both teams have to lose to the other now and then. For those that think one game will kill recruiting they are new to the game. Coaches rule when it comes to that. Geno's own words " there are two types of coaches those who can recruit and those looking for a job".

Uconn is in no danger of losing a turney spot or a recruit over this game. What they are losing for those that want to face reality is fannies in the seats due to continual 40 point blow outs! Pun intended, that is the bottom line.
I hope we kick the Chickens butts but either way it is just another step on the ladder to cutting down the nets. Win or lose the staff will have prep for the game that really counts!

Yo -- my friend. So we have a difference of opinion. No big deal.
But I don't agree with yours. And you've taken my post out of context. And if you don't think beating UCONN at UCONN when you are an underdog in which you're a team that has risen because of a big-time flamboyant coach that was in the past a great player --and if you don't think that win has the possibility of giving a young kid pause - then I think that is "Alice in Wonderland" thinking. If Dawn wins that game - you don't think that would impress a lot of young players?

You heard the story last night Geno spoke of about Stewie didn't you? Does this mean only players that choose UCONN can be influenced to some degree by a head-to-head matchup? So you think a victory like beating UCONN at UCONN when you are an underdog has nearly no effect on a young kid? So it doesn't matter either if UCONN loses this game and wins a squeaker in finals vs if UCONN totally annihilates USC both times? You think young kids are going to hold USC in the same esteem vs if they had beaten us once at home then barely lost in the finals?

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
You heard the story last night Geno spoke of about Stewie didn't you? Does this mean only players that choose UCONN can be influenced to some degree by a head-to-head matchup? So you think a victory like beating UCONN at UCONN when you are an underdog has nearly no effect on a young kid? So it doesn't matter either if UCONN loses this game and wins a squeaker in finals vs if UCONN totally annihilates USC both times? You think young kids are going to hold USC in the same esteem vs if they had beaten us once at home then barely lost in the finals?

Phew, it's a good thing KLS didn't change her mind after watching her sisters and Stanford defeat a porous UConn defense....

Dodged a bullet there....

P.S. Have to believe Stewart already had her mind made up, just chose an opportune time to surprise Geno with the good news.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Phew, it's a good thing KLS didn't change her mind after watching her sisters and Stanford defeat a porous UConn defense....

P.S. Have to believe Stewart already had her mind made up, just chose an opportune time to surprise Geno with the good news.
Or could be just different natures for the two players.

Already committed to UConn, KLS could absolutely agree with Geno and have the decision reinforced when he turns the Stewie-and-Duke statement over to her, "Lou, we could have really used you out here tonight." And what little sister doesn't what to repay big sisses for long ago beatdown in H-O-R-S-E.

Reaction Score

I said a win gives a kid "pause." And I did say "to some degree."

Reaction Score
Its a must win so you don't give teams late in the year the feeling that UConn is vulnerable. In a close game you want the other team to feel they have to be perfect to win.

Reaction Score
Yo -- my friend. So we have a difference of opinion. No big deal.
But I don't agree with yours. And you've taken my post out of context. And if you don't think beating UCONN at UCONN when you are an underdog in which you're a team that has risen because of a big-time flamboyant coach that was in the past a great player --and if you don't think that win has the possibility of giving a young kid pause - then I think that is "Alice in Wonderland" thinking. If Dawn wins that game - you don't think that would impress a lot of young players?

Yo--back to you...yo yo even...what part of UCONN is the underdog here do you not get? SC is ranked no 1 UCONN no 2. This comes from your text and not my opinion. My opinion is win or lose this game is not going to hurt our recruiting as you and anyone who thinks one loss would do. Kids play AAU and many other leagues for years and attend camps, follow teams etc. If their mind is so shallow that one win or lose determines where they want to play ball in college then we don't need them here. A mind like this would not make it under Geno or Chris.
The wheat is seperated from the chaff here and many players that might want to come here would not be accepted. Look at all the players we may have recruited on other teams that would not be accepted here. I will not slander these personal choices but Geno has team rules.
This game will have nothing but positive to do with recruiting at UCONN win or lose...God bless SC and I hope they give us a game for the sake of the game!

Reaction Score
For this season, the outcome of the game means little. Both UConn and USC will be #1 seeds.

But for the longer term, this game is enormous. This is their "Tennessee 1995" game. If they win this and then go on to win the championship, they immediately vault into national power status and rivals alongside us.

If we win this game and go on to claim the championship, we deny them that opportunity and announce that there is still only 1 power in WCBB.

Reaction Score
Yo--back to you...yo yo even...what part of UCONN is the underdog here do you not get? SC is ranked no 1 UCONN no 2. This comes from your text and not my opinion. My opinion is win or lose this game is not going to hurt our recruiting as you and anyone who thinks one loss would do. Kids play AAU and many other leagues for years and attend camps, follow teams etc. If their mind is so shallow that one win or lose determines where they want to play ball in college then we don't need them here. A mind like this would not make it under Geno or Chris.
The wheat is separated from the chaff here and many players that might want to come here would not be accepted. Look at all the players we may have recruited on other teams that would not be accepted here. I will not slander these personal choices but Geno has team rules.
This game will have nothing but positive to do with recruiting at UCONN win or lose...God bless SC and I hope they give us a game for the sake of the game!

here id I say USC is the favorite? You don't think because they are number 1 that most people think USC is favorite do you?

We'll just have to agree to disagree. IMO young kids - top tier kids someday which will be among top 5 recruits someday - do look at this type of game as a barometer. IMO they know UCONN is favored and should win. I don't think it has anything to do with being shallow. It's that they may believe/ think the following - along these lines:

"The opportunity to be a great player at USC is just as good as UCONN. If USC TEAM can beat the UCONN TEAM on UCONN's home floor while being an underdog then it must say something about Dawn's coaching ability and her ability to not only develop a TEAM but develop player's individually."

IMO if USC can win - Dawn will use her recent statement "That she played professionally" as a recruiting tool among other things. It's not that the kid would think bad of Geno- just that the player believes in Dawn. IMO there would be a reason to "believe" in some manner in Dawn if she got this win -- beating our great team and they were an underdog.

Now turn it around. If we blow them out every time we play - then it's much more evident to the young kid that we're still a notch above. A regular season game should never be dismissed as not having some meaning. And we did hear Stewie make her decision after the thrashing we gave Duke. Whether she would have gone to UCONN anyways- it can never be known. But the possibility is there- thus we DO NED to win this game. And our conference is not attractive to most players imo - I can't prove it- so we have to keep a step ahead of the non-conference powers by beating them when we are supposed to do so.

Reaction Score
For this season, the outcome of the game means little. Both UConn and USC will be #1 seeds.

But for the longer term, this game is enormous. This is their "Tennessee 1995" game. If they win this and then go on to win the championship, they immediately vault into national power status and rivals alongside us.

If we win this game and go on to claim the championship, we deny them that opportunity and announce that there is still only 1 power in WCBB.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if they beat us just once- they make a statement they are coming.

Reaction Score
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if they beat us just once- they make a statement they are coming.
So they are 18 & 0 have been ranked number 1 all year in all polls and it would take a win over UCONN for you to think they are coming ??? :confused::confused::confused:
This is the thought process of those that think the only thing that matters is UCONN winning every game every year.
No hate here but folks have to wake up and love the game and what might be good for it. If we did not knock Tenn off Rocky Top you and many others would probably not have any interest.
A loss in this game means almost nothing, would a recruit look at SC of course. You can only take in a few each year and as long as you run a top flight program you will get your share. As for their coach playing in the WNBA big woop, Geno has more players in the league.
Good luck, enjoy the game and I hope we win but if not I will lose no sleep. The goal is a NC and this does nothing but give our team a chance to see who they may have to face in doing so.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Geno offered his view on the SC game after today's game vs Temple.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of crepe hangers we have here! Dawn can say anything she wants, she played here, she played there, whatever. The only "must win" game is the next one in the NCAA tournament. Personally, I think there are more talented players coming out of HS each year than can fit on one college team. I would love it if there were a battle among several teams every year.

Geno has always said it's up to the other teams to elevate their games. Well, a few of them have, and we should relish it, not sweat it.

My question is: I know Carolina has length, do they have the speed and conditioning to keep up?

Reaction Score
UCONN will beat SC by 20 to 30 points. SC is overrated IMHO. Yes, they are a #1 seed but they will get exposed against UCONN. Of course, I also think TN will beat them too. Ha.

Reaction Score
So they are 18 & 0 have been ranked number 1 all year in all polls and it would take a win over UCONN for you to think they are coming ??? :confused::confused::confused:
This is the thought process of those that think the only thing that matters is UCONN winning every game every year.
No hate here but folks have to wake up and love the game and what might be good for it. If we did not knock Tenn off Rocky Top you and many others would probably not have any interest.
A loss in this game means almost nothing, would a recruit look at SC of course. You can only take in a few each year and as long as you run a top flight program you will get your share. As for their coach playing in the WNBA big woop, Geno has more players in the league.
Good luck, enjoy the game and I hope we win but if not I will lose no sleep. The goal is a NC and this does nothing but give our team a chance to see who they may have to face in doing so.

They lose to us - maybe get blown out twice - they're recruiting class in 2015 isn't so hot-- next year they are disappointing then then they aren't really coming. Not saying the door is shut but chances are we knocked her back. They'll have to deal with Notre Dame this year in the final four possibly as well. Are they a real threat to us as of this moment? I don't see it. We're winning Feb 9th, and if they meet us again- imo they have to rely too much on Wilson as a frosh.

If we blow them out twice this year or just the one time at our home and they do little next year- while we win title again-- you think they are still "coming?" Wilson was from South Carolina. But without a big win in Dawn's belt --- you think she can compete head-to-head over 4 years etc? Maybe she can/ But if she gets a significant win vs us on our home court-- then it is evident she can. She'll have a better shot to win the recruiting battles for the number 1/2 rated recruits.

Secondly you are bringing up a point about "good of the game" I can care less about. I'm watching history and I love it. I care about the good of UCONN. But the NCAA and all the many adminsitrators in the P5 don't care about the good of the game otherwise we'd be in a P5 conference. So I should? You mean as a kid when I loved the UCLA men dynasty so much- dreaming that I might be a fna as part of one - and now I have it-- I'm some sort of bad guy? The history we are watching si so amazing - and it's more than the titles. That's what I see and love.

Third - no hate here- but it's none of your business when I became a UCONN fan. I wouldn't have said this in this manner if you haven't replied on yours. But for the record I became a fan around Sveta freshman year. We weren't winning titles at that point. However this is totally irrelevant to this thread imo.

A loss means a ton for UConn. Not much for USC. USC has this year and next with the combo/3/4 of Mitchell/Wilson and Coates and with this year Welch is darn good too. Notre Dame nips at our heels. As of today what is USC? If USC gets blown out by UCONN and doesn't make ff and the next year also has disappointing results, is USC and Dawn Staley still "coming" at us?

And as far as your comment of big woop- Dawn Staley has highlighted it as a differential with her vs the other coaches. Again no hate from me to you- but if Dawn felt enough to state she has an advantage over others, don't you think she believes it will be successful recruiting advantage for her? If she beats us at our house- don't you think when she is going to homes of kids next year and the year after that she will bring up that as what she feels is an advantage? And you think a 17 year old kid is going to dismiss that? Again no hate here from me to you-- but just because you a regular poster like myself say "big whoop" abut a potential recruiting tool Dawn may use-- that doesn't mean much to me.

I hope you don't take what I said the wrong way. It's not personal. We can agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom