Why UConn must beat South Carolina | The Boneyard

Why UConn must beat South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know & understand that most uconn fans have their own opinions as to why Uconn must beat SC. Heres what I have to say regarding the game on 2/9/15. The majority believe Uconn will defeat SC. South Carolina fans see a tight game (along with a few uconn fans) while others see (or at least hope) the possibility for a blow out.

I see Uconn winning also by double digits but I can't put a number on it.

This is a important game in many ways to me. SC will be hyped & ready to play. They believe they are the number one seed and rightfully so (ACCORDING TO THE SYSTEM) they are regardless of how they earned it.

There are four teams - as you already know so I am not telling u nothing new - who stands in good position of receiving the #1 seed in the Ncaa tournament. South Caroline. ..Uconn...Notre Dame & Baylor.

Uconn beating SC validates them owning the (overall) #1 seed. And if Notre Dame continues to win out and stay on top of the ACC they maintain the #3 seed creating the possibility ND could face SC in the FINAL FOUR TOURNAMENT. ..considering they both get that far which I see them both accomplishing.

If my above speculations become facts there is a strong possibility Uconn will face either Baylor or Tennessee if Baylor does relinquish the #4 seed to Tennessee. (others may care less, yes,) but I would love to see a Uconn/Tennessee match in the final 4 for old time sake to see who plays for the championship against either SC or ND.

Some may not care at all if Uconn gets the overall #1 seed. Care or not they will get it (if) they beat SC on 2/9/15. And beat SC they must. And beat SC they will. Things are really starting to look very interesting. Ainnit now.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Assuming that #1 seeds get to the to the FF is historically around a 50% proposition, which is what has happened the last two years. So penciling say UConn and Baylor and USCar and ND in FF games is way jumping the gun. There is a long road built into those first four games of the Tournament even when they seem like they're paved for success.

Reaction Score
I know & understand that most uconn fans have their own opinions as to why Uconn must beat SC. Heres what I have to say regarding the game on 2/9/15. The majority believe Uconn will defeat SC. South Carolina fans see a tight game (along with a few uconn fans) while others see (or at least hope) the possibility for a blow out.

I see Uconn winning also by double digits but I can't put a number on it.

This is a important game in many ways to me. SC will be hyped & ready to play. They believe they are the number one seed and rightfully so (ACCORDING TO THE SYSTEM) they are regardless of how they earned it.

There are four teams - as you already know so I am not telling u nothing new - who stands in good position of receiving the #1 seed in the Ncaa tournament. South Caroline. ..Uconn...Notre Dame & Baylor.

Uconn beating SC validates them owning the (overall) #1 seed. And if Notre Dame continues to win out and stay on top of the ACC they maintain the #3 seed creating the possibility ND could face SC in the FINAL FOUR TOURNAMENT. ..considering they both get that far which I see them both accomplishing.

If my above speculations become facts there is a strong possibility Uconn will face either Baylor or Tennessee if Baylor does relinquish the #4 seed to Tennessee. (others may care less, yes,) but I would love to see a Uconn/Tennessee match in the final 4 for old time sake to see who plays for the championship against either SC or ND.

Some may not care at all if Uconn gets the overall #1 seed. Care or not they will get it (if) they beat SC on 2/9/15. And beat SC they must. And beat SC they will. Things are really starting to look very interesting. Ainnit now.
If we beat them handily that would be great, but it wouldn't matter much because the others would all be considered as about equal low level threats.

Reaction Score
If we beat them handily that would be great, but it wouldn't matter much because the others would all be considered as about equal low level threats.

Well this much I do know. ND is definitely a better team with Turner. And come tournament time teams at that stage are more seasoned than the regular season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN MUST beat SC because UCONN will not be challenged again for almost two full month -Final Four on April 5th. That is a long time to stay sharp. SC on the other hand will be challenged by SEC tournament and the remaining SEC schedule.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Congratulations! You just presented the primary point for tomorrow's thread, "WHY IT'S ONLY FAIR THAT UCONN BEATS SOUTH CAROLINA".....

Then comes Friday's thread, "WHY UCONN BEATING SOUTH CAROLINA IS THE AMERICAN WAY"...

:rolleyes: :D

Are you not getting any love at home? I'm looking forward to the AP article : SC Fans Trudge Home With Tail Feathers in Ruins.

Reaction Score
Congratulations! You just presented the primary point for tomorrow's thread, "WHY IT'S ONLY FAIR THAT UCONN BEATS SOUTH CAROLINA".....

Then comes Friday's thread, "WHY UCONN BEATING SOUTH CAROLINA IS THE AMERICAN WAY"...

.....plus it's God's will!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Only Kiah and Gabby will play off the bench. Saniya will play if the guards get in foul trouble or sparingly at best. You will see the big lineup more if UConn does not rebound with SC. Our biggest advantages are home court and our offense. South Carolina may not be UConn on defense, but they are tough. UConn 78-68.

Reaction Score

You paint with a very wide brush for a visitor. Then again I realize Cocky Talk mostly ignores the women and lonely fans of other teams seem to migrate here. They do have the Hen House for female posters which would take most folks back to the days before women could vote.
Actually I do not agree with the OP as the only must win for a UCONN wbb team is the NC final. Yes we must protect the Dog House but each year the season is a climb to the top of the ladder one game at a time getting something of value from each one.
I was thinking of a thread for Friday titled THANK YOU SC, GENO GETS TO PLAY STARTERS MORE THAN 15 MEANINGFULL MINUTES ...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well this much I do know. ND is definitely a better team with Turner. And come tournament time teams at that stage are more seasoned than the regular season.
And UCONN is a definitely a better team with Moriah Jefferson. She scored 0 points, had 5 turnovers and fouled out before the game was over. She was mired in a slump that she's skyrocketed out of.

Jewell Loyd played 38 minutes and took almost 30 shots. She scored 31 points. Maybe she takes 10 shots less and those mostly go to Turner. Does that cut the gap? Probably. But does Moriah playing the way she does now shift the landscape as well? Not to mention Gabby and Saniya who didn't contribute much in that game either...

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
We -ND & UC will both be better teams. IMO - So Car is the only team that has the talent to compete with UConn.

Reaction Score
And UCONN is a definitely a better team with Moriah Jefferson. She scored 0 points, had 5 turnovers and fouled out before the game was over. She was mired in a slump that she's skyrocketed out of.

Jewell Loyd played 38 minutes and took almost 30 shots. She scored 31 points. Maybe she takes 10 shots less and those mostly go to Turner. Does that cut the gap? Probably. But does Moriah playing the way she does now shift the landscape as well? Not to mention Gabby and Saniya who didn't contribute much in that game either...
It should be noted that Taya Reimer was 4-11 for 8 points and 6 rebounds in that game, she ended up with 4 fouls in 26 minutes. Reimer has really come on strong the last few games.

Reaction Score
Although UConn will win, it's far from a must-win game for either team. If SC plays creditably, and I hope they will, a loss on the road will do little to diminish their ascending profile. Should UConn lose (and they won't), the outcome will do even more than the Stanford game did to energize them for the NCAA tourney. The game will give us lots of insight, but does not loom as a "cannot-afford-to-lose" proposition for either.

Reaction Score
Although UConn will win, it's far from a must-win game for either team. If SC plays creditably, and I hope they will, a loss on the road will do little to diminish their ascending profile. Should UConn lose (and they won't), the outcome will do even more than the Stanford game did to energize them for the NCAA tourney. The game will give us lots of insight, but does not loom as a "cannot-afford-to-lose" proposition for either.

Agreed. Even with a UConn loss, it's hard to see them dropping out of the 1 seed range...and if they did it would be to a 2 seed, which from their perspective is hardly any different.

Reaction Score
It should be noted that Taya Reimer was 4-11 for 8 points and 6 rebounds in that game, she ended up with 4 fouls in 26 minutes. Reimer has really come on strong the last few games.

You do realize that UConn's defense has everything to do with that and that players don't just randomly play bad against UConn right?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's interesting to go back to Charlie's player by player comparison. And honestly, for all the advantage that SC fans feel they have with their bench, I'd stack up our shorter bench, especially Kiah, against anyone they bring in, including Wilson.

Reaction Score
Gabby will make a big difference in that game, she can rebound with big people, but no big is going to make out well trying to guard her. For old timers she reminds me of a young Elgin Baylor, who played 5 or 6 inches bigger then he was.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You paint with a very wide brush for a visitor. Then again I realize Cocky Talk mostly ignores the women and lonely fans of other teams seem to migrate here. They do have the Hen House for female posters which would take most folks back to the days before women could vote.
Actually I do not agree with the OP as the only must win for a UCONN wbb team is the NC final. Yes we must protect the Dog House but each year the season is a climb to the top of the ladder one game at a time getting something of value from each one.
I was thinking of a thread for Friday titled THANK YOU SC, GENO GETS TO PLAY STARTERS MORE THAN 15 MEANINGFULL MINUTES ...

We have a lot more active message boards than just Cocky Talk, though, so it's spread out more. There are quite a few WBB threads in Fowl Shots, though. As far as the Hen House, that's mostly for women to discuss hot guys; they don't really discuss sports in there.

I have a hypothetical question for you guys: you play in Memphis on the Saturday before you play the Gamecocks. How upset would you fans be if there was another blizzard and both teams couldn't get to Storrs? I would be pretty upset, but we have a lot of other big games left before the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
This is not a mandatory victory.... though i agree we should win....... SC and UC will both have #1 seeds...... where they end up i do not think it matters.......

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Reminds me of an old joke. (adapted, of course.) The female gamecock (gamehen, gamefowl?) comes straggling into her nest with her feathers all askew and rumpled, her eyes bloodshot and just a generally confused air. Her mate, the Male Gamecock, asks her;
"Sweetie, what, I say WHAT in the ever-lovin world happened to you?"
"It was incredible and horrifying. I was flying along, minding my own business, when WHOOSH! I got caught in a badminton game!" (rimshot!)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We have a lot more active message boards than just Cocky Talk, though, so it's spread out more. There are quite a few WBB threads in Fowl Shots, though. As far as the Hen House, that's mostly for women to discuss hot guys; they don't really discuss sports in there.

I have a hypothetical question for you guys: you play in Memphis on the Saturday before you play the Gamecocks. How upset would you fans be if there was another blizzard and both teams couldn't get to Storrs? I would be pretty upset, but we have a lot of other big games left before the NCAAT.
Cockhrnleghrn,
I occasional read postings on the SC board including some of your postings. Your hypothetical is exactly the point I was trying to make about the SC vs UCONN game. This is pretty much the last meaningful game for UCONN before the Final 4-two months. It was not chest thumping. I am a huge UCONN fan because I was coached by Geno in High school. I support Dawn because she recruited my daughter while at Temple. Lakeisha Sutton is one of my favorite people on this planet. Above all what I admire about SC is your home attendance. Women's basketball desperately needs more programs like SC.

When SC and UCONN play I will be rooting hard for UCONN- no doubt. I will also be rooting that SC is a worthy opponent because Women's basketball needs it and SC will have earned it. I will be severely disappointed if this game did not happen, regardless of the reason!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Cockhrnleghrn,
I occasional read postings on the SC board including some of your postings. Your hypothetical is exactly the point I was trying to make about the SC vs UCONN game. This is pretty much the last meaningful game for UCONN before the Final 4-two months. It was not chest thumping. I am a huge UCONN fan because I was coached by Geno in High school. I support Dawn because she recruited my daughter while at Temple. Lakeisha Sutton is one of my favorite people on this planet. Above all what I admire about SC is your home attendance. Women's basketball desperately needs more programs like SC.

When SC and UCONN play I will be rooting hard for UCONN- no doubt. I will also be rooting that SC is a worthy opponent because Women's basketball needs it and SC will have earned it. I will be severely disappointed if this game did not happen, regardless of the reason!

I really, really wanted to go to the game up there this year, but the time off from work combined with likely taking a lot of time off in March made me decide to pass. Speaking of attendance, I never thought I'd see the kind of buzz around women's basketball that we're seeing in Columbia right now. It's really exciting for me because basketball (both MBB and WBB) is my favorite sport and I've suffered for many years with just a good season here and there. I originally joined your board last year because of the fact we were both recruiting A'ja Wilson and thought it would be fun to read other opinions. Hopefully, Geno and Dawn will make the game an annual affair after the return game in Columbia next year.

Reaction Score
MUST? Seriously? Aren't there only two things we must do in life... pay taxes and die?
If UCONN loses and I doubt that will happen... we easily could still win it all. I just recall all those years where UCONN was not perfect.... yet it worked out. 2013 if I am not mistaken, UCONN lost to Notre Dame for the third time that year in the Big East Tournament... the last Big East Tournament as we know it... and what happened? We did not get the overall number 1 seed. I cannot recall but I doubt we were not a #1 seed... We played Notre Dame in the Final Four and won by 18 then went on to play Louisville and beat them by 33... one of the largest margins if I am not mistaken.

So to make a long story short... we will win... but it is not a MUST. This UCONN team has what it takes to win the NC. While we need not overlook teams like Notre Dame... I do not think we need to say we have to win this game in February to prevent having to play them until the NC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sneaks

Top Bottom