Why Not Uconn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why Not Uconn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think UConn to the B1G would bring the state into that category, but it wouldn't do squat for Boston, Providence or the rest of New England. Our reach isn't that great. .

Not so sure about that. Lots of UConn fans in NH, RI, and Boston. Lots of sets tuned to SNY, etc. to watch the Huskies. It's a combination of a big time D-1 University with name brand recognition in the area, local recruits and big time, viewer friendly opponents. There were lots of eyeballs in Northboro area --Teggart, N. Dartmouth area---Todman, Wakefield ---Hyppolite, Boston --- Napier, etc.. Lots of eyeballs in NH--- Reyes, Griffin, etc. The more UConn successfully recruits New England, the more valuable and numerous those eyeballs become. Now go with the growth model--the addition of regular meetings with UM, Ohio State and Penn St enhancing our reach.
Also, the addition of several of our non Football sports adds more value to The B1G network than do other institutions. UConn's W BBall substantially raises the number of eyeballs watching that sport in all geographic areas of the B1G network. Add in MBBall, Hockey etc, plus academics and we become a more realistic (long) shot for admission.

Reaction Score
We're mistaking fans for eyeballs here.

Neither Rutgers nor Maryland was invited because they're particularly popular or particularly good - they're neither.

They were invited because of where they are, not what they are. The Big Ten will almost certainly be carried by cable stations from New York City down through Washington, DC - that's a huge number of tv sets and a wallop of carriage fees. It's simply a market play.

Geography is just a huge issue for us - it's one of the reasons why we're still where we are.

I can't understand how you make such complete sense for six straight sentences then throw logic out the window in the seventh. Geography is exactly what we've got going for us. Simplifying in the extreme, re-alignment is about two things: 1) identifying new markets; 2) creating a compelling case for the target market to purchase your product.

All indications are that the B1G's target is the area between Boston to D.C., the northeast megalopolis. Not the northeast PLUS North Carolina. Not the northeast plus some combination of North Carolina/Georgia/Florida. Why the northeast? Because it doubles the size (population) of the B1G's market and it is very lightly contested and defended. Why not the northeast PLUS some combination of North Carolina/Georgia/Florida? Because it's too big a bite of the apple. Opening up a market the size of an existing market is a HUGE risk. Adding even greater risk by trying to conquer a B1G wilderness like the south Atlantic coase is a true fool's errand.

Whatever plans the B1G may have beyond the northeast, the strategy is lilely very long range. If there is a desire to go south and east because of population trends, which has a greater liklihood of success? 1) Ignore a crapload (crapload defined as a potential market of 15+ million) of eyeballs currently unaccounted for and marching southeast from somewhere in Illinois -- or -- 2) focusing exclusively on the northeast, then marching south with an army of 120 million sets of eyeballs?

I once worked for a very large company that developed the best product in a new, potentially huge, and exploding market. There was, however, formidable competition even if they were a generation behind technologically. What did my company do? They sold the product line. When asked why, the CEO said that to achieve those rewards would require mortgaging the company. Failure may have meant bankruptcy. The south Atlantic, in addition to the northeast represents more risk than even the powerful B1G can realistically manage today.

How does the B1G create a compelling case for customers in the northeast to purchase the B1G product? The most straightforward way (and probably easiest and least risky) is through acquisition. Bring in universities already existing in the new territory. If there are existing and available candidates in the region that can increase per member immediately, great. If not, time and resources will be required to nurture the new members. But schools aren't the product. Contests are. Compelling contests. Maryland is, to some degree, appealing to D.C. but a contest requires an opponent. All other things being equal, contests between opponents that are geographically proximate are generally more compelling than those that are distant. When I was at Maryland, the games that drew the most interest weren't againt opponents in the Carolinas. They were Navy and Penn State.

We talk a lot about who's so-and-so's "parter" in conference reshuffling. If UNC goes to the SEC, is Duke their partner so the SEC gets to 16? Stuff like that. The same question should be asked about opening new markets. NYC is too large for Rutgers to manage by itself. What's the compelling contest that incites the rabble, generates the interest, delivers the customers? Who could be the Knight's partner in opening New York? An ideal candidate would be someone who has a local audience of its own, someone who is geographically nearby. The school that fills that bill best is us. Hold on! Did somebody just make our geography a positive? Bingo! The same way Rutgers and Maryland's geography was the differentiating factor in their B1G invitations.

If people spent half as much time and energy focusing on why it's a bad idea for the B1G to go south now as they do on remembering UConn's lack of a rich football history, this debate would have ended a long time ago. The degree to which we lack a proper pedigree is a far, far more manageable condition for the B1G than predicting the result of some mid-west Pickett riding pell mell down the south Atlantic coast. We are THE most logical candidate (along with Virginia and for the same reasons) for the B1G's next move because we are clearly the best choice to be Rutger's partner in what can become the B1G's most valuable market: New York City.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not so sure about that. Lots of UConn fans in NH, RI, and Boston. Lots of sets tuned to SNY, etc. to watch the Huskies. It's a combination of a big time D-1 University with name brand recognition in the area, local recruits and big time, viewer friendly opponents. There were lots of eyeballs in Northboro area --Teggart, N. Dartmouth area---Todman, Wakefield ---Hyppolite, Boston --- Napier, etc.. Lots of eyeballs in NH--- Reyes, Griffin, etc. The more UConn successfully recruits New England, the more valuable and numerous those eyeballs become. Now go with the growth model--the addition of regular meetings with UM, Ohio State and Penn St enhancing our reach.
Also, the addition of several of our non Football sports adds more value to The B1G network than do other institutions. UConn's W BBall substantially raises the number of eyeballs watching that sport in all geographic areas of the B1G network. Add in MBBall, Hockey etc, plus academics and we become a more realistic (long) shot for admission.

Let me clarify. I live outside Boston, in the Boston DMA, but closer to Providence. So yes, there are fans. One of my neighbors went to UConn, and my neighbor's son across the street is there now. My point is about mindshare. Right now, you can walk into a sports bar in metro Boston and college sports is just non-existent. If UConn was playing BC, it would still be bumped by the Celtics or Bruins. My cable system already carries the BTN by the way...no charge. So while I think the state of CT would be freaking jazzed, and would watch *other* B1G programming (that's what this is all about) plus the UConn games, I don't think metro Boston would.

The key to this whole thing is mindshare. What do you watch when your team isn't on? Right now...assume UConn played a Thursday game on ESPN, and you have UGA and South Carolina or Michigan and Wisconsin, what do you watch? What the Big Ten really wants is for the fans of each program to default to other B1G programming. I think CT would do that. North Carolina will not. Georgia will not. Florida will not. If there is an argument for UConn, that's it. Which is why what Fishy said is true. If we were NJ sized, we'd be a lock.

Reaction Score
i work in ri at one of the larger corporations. lots of uconn fans, and lots of uconn alumni in the sr. leadership ranks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i work in ri at one of the larger corporations. lots of uconn fans, and lots of uconn alumni in the sr. leadership ranks.

There's a large corporation in RI? :)

Reaction Score
UConn's problem is that adding UConn doesn't deliver any TV market to the B1G. B1G thinks it has NY wrapped up already and if they are concerned about adding Boston/NE then they add BC, not UConn.

I think a lot would have to happen for BC to be invited to B1G but they would be invited before UConn would.

Reaction Score
Lived in NC now for about 6 years and in the south for 8.Comparing the fervor in most southern states for college football to what goes on in the tri states is like night and day.Repeating the obvious that in Ffld county you can opt from Giants/Jets/Pats and that somewhat dilutes college football interest.

Reaction Score
Lived in NC now for about 6 years and in the south for 8.Comparing the fervor in most southern states for college football to what goes on in the tri states is like night and day.Repeating the obvious that in Ffld county you can opt from Giants/Jets/Pats and that somewhat dilutes college football interest.

Here's a thought. . . . UConn in a good conference with big name opponents every other year (ie, FSU home, Miami away one year, FSU away, Miami home the next) and I'm thinking you start to see fervor. Heck we were getting excited about Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom