Why not become independent in football? | The Boneyard

Why not become independent in football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

Why not stay big east for bball:

But for football switch to independent. If we keep our sny contract for the region and schedule pay day games at power house programs we will gain exposure and money. Uconn is now a mid major so it should be able to fill in away games for pay. As far as home games use those to schedule 3 home games vs left overs from the nnbe, Mac, conf USA. Even IF we make a BCS we will never be at the pay scale of the big boy conferences so why not whor ourselves out?

Reaction Score
We probably wouldn't get a better schedule by being independent.

Reaction Score
I think we should really look at being independent seriously in football.

Reaction Score
There are now three threads on this subject and I started the first one. We should go indy, no reason not to.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What does it matter? We can be irrelevant as an independent or irrelevant as a member of a conference. No difference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why not stay big east for bball:

But for football switch to independent. If we keep our sny contract for the region and schedule pay day games at power house programs we will gain exposure and money. Uconn is now a mid major so it should be able to fill in away games for pay. As far as home games use those to schedule 3 home games vs left overs from the nnbe, Mac, conf USA. Even IF we make a BCS we will never be at the pay scale of the big boy conferences so why not whor ourselves out?

The reason to go independent is because the Big East now sucks for basketball. Maybe try the Notre Dame route.

F

fortebleedsblue

We probably wouldn't get a better schedule by being independent.

Explain how we wouldn't get a better schedule? Most of the games would be away but the potential for exposure is much greater than staying in a decaying conference. Bball could remain in big east but let football go out and collect pay checks and potentially build its name up. I'll say one thing if we don't go that route we need to drop/ pay out of the buffalo contract and play some big names. Now that we are in the Mac we can't have our OOC be against freaking Mac get what I'm saying?

Reaction Score
Explain how we wouldn't get a better schedule? Most of the games would be away but the potential for exposure is much greater than staying in a decaying conference. Bball could remain in big east but let football go out and collect pay checks and potentially build its name up. I'll say one thing if we don't go that route we need to drop/ pay out of the buffalo contract and play some big names. Now that we are in the Mac we can't have our OOC be against freaking Mac get what I'm saying?

Because we won't get paid.

Being in the MAC gets you maybe 1 mil a year, even in the new new Big East, we will get 7-8 million a year.

Reaction Score
Independence also kills your chances of a BCS bowl with the new 'best of rest' rule that screws over BYU and the like.

Reaction Score
The reason to go independent is because the Big East now sucks for basketball. Maybe try the Notre Dame route.

ok. I have read and re-read this post several times now. There is sarcasm here that I am not picking up on, right?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ok. I have read and re-read this post several times now. There is sarcasm here that I am not picking up on, right?

No. GTown, UConn, Marquette are the only top level basketball programs left. Temple, Houston, Memphis and Cincy are decent. Nova should be, but they are a catastrophe. The remaining schools are lousy.

Reaction Score
In theory, it makes a lot of sense to go independent. In theory, we also were a good fit for the ACC.

Money talks and if you actually want to kill UConn football, you'd go independent since there will be less revenue for sure = even worse coaching.

Reaction Score
No. GTown, UConn, Marquette are the only top level basketball programs left. Temple, Houston, Memphis and Cincy are decent. Nova should be, but they are a catastrophe. The remaining schools are lousy.

FWIW, UConn will just have to up its NCS and I think it can do so quite easily (especially with the older BE schools).

Reaction Score
Remember when we were independent and got shut out of a bowl game because of it? Consider that one reason why we should not.

pj

Reaction Score
We could do a ND-like deal with a conference, NBE or MAC, so we have scheduling confidence, and play some prominent names from around the country, and control our media rights, and make a big push to market them in NY and NE.

It might not generate more money but if the NBE is bad enough it would avoid tying ourselves to them.

That said, the key thing may just be dominating whatever bad conference we are in. We have to try to replicate Boise State.

Reaction Score
What's the minimum number of schools for an FBS football conference?
Is it 6? or is it 8?
Instead of independent, would it make sense to link up with other schools that feel "left out" in a football only conference of minimum size, which would basically be a scheduling arrangement, leaving maximum flexibility for OOC games...

American Collegiate Football Conference:
UConn
Cincy
USF
Boise State
BYU
San Diego State

Basically not get bogged down in a bloated Big East, but rather have a scheduling arrangement to fill a fair part of your schedule, allowing maximum flexibility with the remainder...

Then put your Olympic sports in the best conference you can find (not that we want any part of the ACC, but they might even consider UConn to balance Notre Dame)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom