why no interest in 2015 QB Easton Bruere? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

why no interest in 2015 QB Easton Bruere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
QB is tough, many kids commit early summer and thus schools fill up their spots quick. Most schools only take one per year. I'm sure both will play in college somewhere.

Who was the kid from CT that everyone was gaga over a few years back when he was a sophomore in High School. He was destined to be a great player and when the time came he was never offered any scholarships from local schools. He ended up somewhere and I am not sure it was even an FCS School.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
No it doesn't. You said if Edsall could find and develop all league talent and NFL draft picks at UConn, there's no reason Diaco can't. I'd say conference realignment begs to differ.

No one else was looking at those kids. Most of them had a UConn offer and that's it. I guess in the end it will make it harder to keep some kids... but it makes being able to find and develop talent outside of the usual recruiting areas that much more important.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Who was the kid from CT that everyone was gaga over a few years back when he was a sophomore in High School. He was destined to be a great player and when the time came he was never offered any scholarships from local schools. He ended up somewhere and I am not sure it was even an FCS School.

Boeing Brown. Honestly that's who popped into mind when I read the linked article. Big hype machine from dad.

Reaction Score
Way back when, Luke Richmond was "committed" to Tennessee and Phil Fulmer only to find out they wouldn't return their calls as signing day neared. He ended up at UConn, and there was irony in that because Ansonia folks were vociferous in claiming he was too good for that level locally.

Reaction Score
And I'm sick of people pining after all that 4 and 5 star talent that supposedly will turn everything around.

To think that 4 or 5 star players can't help turn things around here at UConn is ridiculous, and to think we can beat teams like Bama, LSU, Michigan, etc... in a consistent basis with a team full of two star players is also ridiculous.

Reaction Score
To think that 4 or 5 star players can't help turn things around here at UConn is ridiculous, and to think we can beat teams like Bama, LSU, Michigan, etc... in a consistent basis with a team full of two star players is also ridiculous.

UF - I don't believe anyone is literally saying that a roster full of 4 and 5 star players wouldn't make a world of difference in turning UConn into a consistent Top 30 program. The point I think folks are making is that you just don't pluck 4 and 5 star players off a shelf @ Costco. Offer them and get lucky, maybe but it's an extreme uphill climb w/ all the conference realignment fallout and the program's on field record over the past few years. Staff needs to concentrate on who can make an impact - regardless of stars or state of residence.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Was Tim Boyle a 3 or a 4 when he got his Florida and BC offer?

Reaction Score
There are worse places to spend your college days than Charleston, SC. Although I'm not sure how much those kids get to leave campus...

The closest I have ever gotten to Charleston, SC are books by Pat Conroy. Most take place in and around Charleston. The Lords of Discipline is roughly based on the authors time at the Citadel. He played hoops while there so it does have a sports side as well.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting case as New Mexico is an under the radar football state. Rivals doesn't even have a state ranking list. With the state so large with a small population and few FBS prospects, I can't imagine there are many college recruiters scouting the state.

There are 2 FBS schools in New Mexico, but no FCS programs, so there are very limited in-state college football opportunities. (There are 3 D2 schools, but no D3 schools in New Mexico.) In addition, both New Mexico and New Mexico St. recruited multiple QBs last year and New Mexico is bringing in a JUCO QB this year, so QB does not seem to be a position of need for either team.

I can see how he may not have any football scholarships even if he was an FBS caliber QB.
Anyone have Diaco's phone number?

Reaction Score
UF - I don't believe anyone is literally saying that a roster full of 4 and 5 star players wouldn't make a world of difference in turning UConn into a consistent Top 30 program. The point I think folks are making is that you just don't pluck 4 and 5 star players off a shelf @ Costco. Offer them and get lucky, maybe but it's an extreme uphill climb w/ all the conference realignment fallout and the program's on field record over the past few years. Staff needs to concentrate on who can make an impact - regardless of stars or state of residence.

I get that you cant just "pluck" 4 and 5 star players medic. My argument is that stars do matter, yes there's flaws, but no system is perfect, and some here think stars doesn't make a difference when it does. Teams consistently in the top 25 are full of 3, 4, and 5 star players, but then some say stars don't matter... it just doesn't make any sense.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Beating Bama and LSU?

I think we need to worry about beating the ECUs and SMUs of the world before we cross that bridge.

Reaction Score
There are worse places to spend your college days than Charleston, SC. Although I'm not sure how much those kids get to leave campus...

The closest I have ever gotten to Charleston, SC are books by Pat Conroy. Most take place in and around Charleston. The Lords of Discipline is roughly based on the authors time at the Citadel. He played hoops while there so it does have a sports side as well.

Charleston is by far my favorite city

Reaction Score
This kid appears to still be out there... could it just be his mechanics?

Size-Strength-Mobility
Good looking prospect on the hoof. He has very good height and a wiry, but well-built frame that is only going to grow and could get up to 225 or 230 pounds in time. He is a good athlete who shows nice pocket movement and the savvy to elude and buy a second passing chance. Can be used as a designated runner.
Mental-Makeup
Highly competitive, but also displays a cool demeanor. He can be a sandlot player who finds ways to get the ball out and move the chains. He has good mobility within the pocket, and pulls the occasional rabbit out of his hat when a play breaks down. Shows anticipation and a knack for working through progressions -- especially on the move.
Accuracy
Considering he is not always fundamentally sound, this kid is accurate. Delivers a catchable, soft ball with just enough zip. Can show nice touch and ball speed on deeper throws with arc. Throws guys open and can anticipate throws to a spot. Is really accurate on the run to either side. Can drop the ball in over coverage in tight spaces.
Release/Arm Strength
Somewhat awkward throwing mechanics, but the end result is promising. Carries the ball in a unique manner, but does keep it compact to limit wasted motion. He really gets a lot out of his arm on deep and intermediate throws. He displays nice RPMs and the ball comes out quickly on underneath routes. He has shown the ability to make throws to all levels and also show some touch on deeper routes down the sideline. He can stand tall and confident in the pocket and fit the ball into tight spots outside the numbers.
Bottom Line
Bruere stands out against this level of competition, but regardless he has also been ultra-productive. He has measurables and arm talent, but also needs technical polish. Is flying way under the radar in this class despite staggering numbers. He is one of those guys that may not always look like a classic passer, but watch closely where the ball ends up. We like this kid.

Reaction Score

Size-Strength-Mobility
Good looking prospect on the hoof. He has very good height and a wiry, but well-built frame that is only going to grow and could get up to 225 or 230 pounds in time. He is a good athlete who shows nice pocket movement and the savvy to elude and buy a second passing chance. Can be used as a designated runner.
Mental-Makeup
Highly competitive, but also displays a cool demeanor. He can be a sandlot player who finds ways to get the ball out and move the chains. He has good mobility within the pocket, and pulls the occasional rabbit out of his hat when a play breaks down. Shows anticipation and a knack for working through progressions -- especially on the move.
Accuracy
Considering he is not always fundamentally sound, this kid is accurate. Delivers a catchable, soft ball with just enough zip. Can show nice touch and ball speed on deeper throws with arc. Throws guys open and can anticipate throws to a spot. Is really accurate on the run to either side. Can drop the ball in over coverage in tight spaces.
Release/Arm Strength
Somewhat awkward throwing mechanics, but the end result is promising. Carries the ball in a unique manner, but does keep it compact to limit wasted motion. He really gets a lot out of his arm on deep and intermediate throws. He displays nice RPMs and the ball comes out quickly on underneath routes. He has shown the ability to make throws to all levels and also show some touch on deeper routes down the sideline. He can stand tall and confident in the pocket and fit the ball into tight spots outside the numbers.
Bottom Line
Bruere stands out against this level of competition, but regardless he has also been ultra-productive. He has measurables and arm talent, but also needs technical polish. Is flying way under the radar in this class despite staggering numbers. He is one of those guys that may not always look like a classic passer, but watch closely where the ball ends up. We like this kid.

I trust the guys making 6 and 7 figure salaries more than these recruitnik flunkies who somehow claim to objectively rate thousands of HS players.

Reaction Score

Size-Strength-Mobility
Mental-Makeup
Accuracy
Release/Arm Strength
Bottom Line

Doesn't it really, really make you think that even after all the publicity - nobody stepped up?

Reaction Score
@ktuck911

Think about it. Lots of QBs have bad mechanics, that can be fixed or at least tweaked. Isn't it likely some issue off the field and/or in the classroom?

Reaction Score
I prefer a QB with some size that can see the field but if we're thin at the position I'd look at a guy like Rizzo. He has similar size to Whitmer and can throw, but appears to have much greater mobility. Also comes from the kind of winning culture we keep hearing about. Seems to still be on the board. Will be interesting to follow the future of these three guys.

http:// /Player/Jake-Rizzo-59845

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member