Why Kill The Big East? A Little Help. | The Boneyard

Why Kill The Big East? A Little Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I see it mentioned a lot that TV and conferences want to kill off the Big East. I take the comments with a grain of salt but could someone give a short reason why this is a accepted theme?

I think I'm a bright guy but every now and then, I need things explained in laymen's terms.

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The systematic elimination of competition is the best way to ensure one's own survival. This is the ACC's benefit. The Big East was a direct competitor for prestige, money, bowls, money, tv sets, money, and money.

The Big XXII is gathering up some of the remaining resources to shore up their own ranks after having some key defections.

Reaction Score
Less TV and bowl money to the BE FB conference means more to the super conferences. Its that simple. The new BE FB conference, no matter the makeup, will not demand the attention of non BE loyalists, which means with less viewership the less the advertising revenue, and the less TV exposure. The BIG money in all categories will go where the eys go.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm with Mr. Wonderful. The actions taken were the result of the SEC and Texas A&M making movements. This caused the ACC and the B12 to evaluate their positions and take steps to prevent their conferences from collapsing.

The ACC was in a weak position from the standpoint of a "weak media" contract. It wasn't that the contract was bad, it was the idea that members may have been envious of other contracts, and may have been expressing they could act on that envy. The invite of Cuse and Pitt allowed for the ACC to improve the contract with the hope it keeps its members satisfied. Whether this satisfaction and stability is short or long term still remains to be seen.

The B12 was and is still in survival mode. They were losing members as fast as the BE and had to take action if they were to survive.

The game of conference survival is no different than survival in real life. The medium fish go after smaller, weaker fish, but the biggest and best of the smaller fish. The ACC and the B12 have no power to attack the SEC, B!G or PAC. So they turned their attention on the best little guy - the BE. This is no different than the BE not being able to attack the SEC, B!G, PAC, ACC or B12 at this moment, so they go after the MWC and CUSA.

I seriously doubt these other conferences primary reason for action was to eliminate the BE but to ensure their own survival. The secondary reason, the elimination of a competitor could help them in the long run, but that isn't a certainty.

Reaction Score
The Big12 was not supposed to survive the shakeup.

Killing the BE made sense only if the Big12 hadn't survived.

Only 5 of the 17 BE teams were supposed to find a home in the new superconferences.

But with the Big12 surviving, a big wrench has been thrown into the works.

Reaction Score
Also: no AQ spot in the BCS = 1 more spot in the BCS for other leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom