Why it's time to move NCAA men's hockey regionals to home sites (Grand Forks Herald) | The Boneyard

Why it's time to move NCAA men's hockey regionals to home sites (Grand Forks Herald)

Reaction Score
Interesting quotes

Seems like its gaining momentum especially if arguably the best coach in college hockey supports it, the face of college hockey on tv supports it and the study saying revenue would increase.

Would it make more sense to switch to baseball’s model of a 3 game series if teams are traveling to campus sites? (More revenue with more games played)

First two rounds are best of 3 and the Frozen Four is single elimination?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Northeastern Hockey Blog breaks down why this is stupid and a bad idea.

zls44

Reaction Score
If youre curious though

Reaction Score
The Northeastern Hockey Blog breaks down why this is stupid and a bad idea.

Check out the place hosting the regional this year in Missouri. You could have BC or BU playing there to go to a Frozen Four

1705463770583.jpeg

Reaction Score
If youre curious though

Don't get me wrong, it might be ancient history but there is a big part of me that would love to host at tsongas.

That being said, still stupid. This is a western school problem and not an eastern school problem.

---

St Louis is a great town. Not that I'd want to swing that last moment but this batch of river hawks should have been snuffed in the nest. :(

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, it might be ancient history but there is a big part of me that would love to host at tsongas.

That being said, still stupid. This is a western school problem and not an eastern school problem.

---

St Louis is a great town. Not that I'd want to swing that last moment but this batch of river hawks should have been snuffed in the nest. :(
I could almost see justification for the first round. Almost. After that, no chance. I agree that it is a western problem. My actual preference would be to have Eastern teams play in the East. Western teams play in the west. The Grand Forks guy did get one thing right. A regional final in North Dakota between UConn and BU will draw crickets. Same with NOrth Dakota and Denver in Manchester. Scrap the overall seeding and just seed within regions. I know the computer jockeys will be disappointed. I might also look for permanent regional sites at least for the 2nd round in locations that support college hockey. Providence comes to mind as 1.

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody is interested in rejecting the ncaa qualification procedures nor going hard regional. This is not 1986

Reaction Score
I don’t think it would matter that much in terms of who gets where. I realize it would upset those who are in love with pseudo-scientific seeding. You need to move a team because there are too many from one side or the other, fine. They should be happy just to get there. And the committee already moves seeds around to help with attendance anyway as well as to keep teams from playing conference mates in the first round. Would it have been that much of an injustice last year to move Ohio State to the west and Cornell east? Both Cornell and Colgate were moved to “higher” slots to avoid a game with QU. Merrimack was kept in the East for essentially both reasons, attendance AND to replace Cornell and Colgate as an opponent to QU. Finally, you have the AHA with teams in western New York and Pennsylvania and Colorado that could be the flex team depending on who their champ is.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is keen on avoiding first round contests against those within the same conference. Same as basketball

Reaction Score
Agreed. And they value that over strict seeding…They also value potential attendance. The committee chair specifically said we had to keep Merrimack in the East after their turnout at the Hockey East tournament. They almost always keep one or more teams local despite their actual seeds to generate attendance. I’m just saying do what you already do anyway. Just make it more rational. Early round games in Providence and Albany will attract bigger crowds with “local” teams than with North Dakota and Nebraska-Omaha. Army vs BU in Manchester is more attractive than Army-BU in Sioux Falls. Michigan vs Lake Superior in Minneapolis is better than the same teams in Providence. I get what they are trying to do with seeding but I think my approach is superior to playing first round games at the higher seed dice seeding is already a flexible variable.

Reaction Score
In my mind one of the issues the NCAA has is the price of tickets. Worcester hosts NCAA Hockey on a fairly regular basis. If BC is playing I will likely go to the game, price doesn’t matter. If BC isn’t playing I am not paying $40.00 for a ticket. I am not bringing kids at $27.50 per ticket. Much better to charge less and have more people in the stands.

zls44

Reaction Score
In my mind one of the issues the NCAA has is the price of tickets. Worcester hosts NCAA Hockey on a fairly regular basis. If BC is playing I will likely go to the game, price doesn’t matter. If BC isn’t playing I am not paying $40.00 for a ticket. I am not bringing kids at $27.50 per ticket. Much better to charge less and have more people in the stands.

This is a good place to mention UConn charges $50 for standing room only tickets at Toscano. Fifty.

Reaction Score
This is a good place to mention UConn charges $50 for standing room only tickets at Toscano. Fifty.

I paid $33.00 - still high but I prefer to stand/move around and it’s only me…

1706454393871.png

Reaction Score
It’s $55 for day of game returned tickets which is crazy

zls44

Reaction Score
Thanks for clarifying.

Any college hockey ticket being $55 is nuts. Especially for this team.

Reaction Score
Thanks for clarifying.

Any college hockey ticket being $55 is nuts. Especially for this team.
that almost gets me into whatever we're calling the Leonsis Village in Chinatown (DC)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom