Why is the board so hard on Dez Conner? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Why is the board so hard on Dez Conner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
even edsall may agree with dez s and coach p evaluation of offense. Lets look at 2010 offense. Michigan 10 points, usf no offensive touchdowns. Louisville shut out, Oklahoma no offensive touchdowns. None o these teams were top twenty defense nationally. Louisville was good defensively but even eastern Kentucky. Scored thirteen on them.
It looks like the lack of offensive talent was already showing signs so I am not so sure the reporters / coaches were being harsh. The offense does seem to finally be heading in the right direction. Sometimes you take a step back to take two steps forward

Can you imagine that offense without Todman? Yikes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree. The Courant still views itself as a fairly prestigious publication. It's one thing to offer an opinion like, "I think a dual threat QB would be a good thing to have" (heh.) or "We need a more dynamic offense," but actually damning a coach is a pretty serious charge to levy by someone who isn't technically an opinion writer.
True but the writer should also be unwilling to damn the players in an effort to defend the coach. If you listen to what Dez was preaching (takenwe had to work with. verbatim from GDL) in his defense of PP, you'd swear that we would be lucky to come away with a win against Central with the dearth of talent

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We did lack talent on offense, though not to the extreme that was portrayed. The problem is that we got used to seeing talent "coached up", and the inability to do that might be GDL's (and by extension, P's) biggest weakness. Hopefully Weist corrects this.

Reaction Score
We did lack talent on offense, though not to the extreme that was portrayed. The problem is that we got used to seeing talent "coached up", and the inability to do that might be GDL's (and by extension, P's) biggest weakness. Hopefully Weist corrects this.
I think this is over stated on this board. Its easier to "coach up talent" when that talent happens to be Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Jordan Todman, type talent. Fact is even in our best days we were incredibly one dimensional. The team was built one dimensionally offensively. We lost that dimension and were caught in a period where we were trying to implement a new offensive philosophy with parts not built/recruited for it. None of that changes the fact that Deleone has been an unmitigated disaster as OC, at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Exactly. We only had one player drafted on that offensive team and it came in the sixth round.
In fairness, we also had Sherman, but when your fullback is your best offensive draft prospect, your probably not going to be known for stretching defenses.

Reaction Score
Exactly. We only had one player drafted on that offensive team and it came in the sixth round.

Plus we had a first year QB in a BCS conference and a bad offensive line.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine UConn football without Pasqualoni? What a nice thought.

The problem with your entire premise is that you have to go into this season with no hope at all. Then what's the point? Why even bother with sports if you can't even hope for next year? If you just wanna give up?

The whole point of sports is that hope springs eternal. That as long as there's another game to play, there's another chance. You've given up before the season has even begun and it's sad and I'm glad our athletes at UConn haven't waved the white flag quite as hard and proudly as you have.

I'd say you ought to be proud of how well you've quit on this program, but it's simply not true.

Reaction Score
The problem with your entire premise is that you have to go into this season with no hope at all. Then what's the point? Why even bother with sports if you can't even hope for next year? If you just wanna give up?

The whole point of sports is that hope springs eternal. That as long as there's another game to play, there's another chance. You've given up before the season has even begun and it's sad and I'm glad our athletes at UConn haven't waved the white flag quite as hard and proudly as you have.

I'd say you ought to be proud of how well you've quit on this program, but it's simply not true.

We had a first year QB in a BCS conference and no offensive line.

Reaction Score
There's hope. It's spelled W-E-I-S-T. If not for that hire only those with rose-colored glasses who don't fully comprehend and accept the offensive coaching disaster of the past two seasons could be capable of hope.

Not sure how "imagine UConn without Pasqualoni' translates into "quitting on the program". It's OK to imagine how different things would be if the search was professionally done and landed a young Urban Meyer or Chip Kelly, instead of a proven college mediocrity whose top qualification was the blessing of Larry McHugh and the CT HS football coaches assn. Maybe a professionally done search would have gotten us Weist. Better to arrive 2 years late than not at all.

Reaction Score
We had a first year QB in a BCS conference and no offensive line.

The last time I dealt with someone who decided to just start repeating the same thing over and over again, that person was eight years old.

Congratulations on that.

Reaction Score
The last time I dealt with someone who decided to just start repeating the same thing over and over again, that person was eight years old.

Congratulations on that.

The last people I dealt with people that just repeated themselves over and over was you guys.

Reaction Score
The board loved him too much when he first started.....now it is way too hard on him when he doesn't agree with Boneyard Point-of-View. I have never found his football analysis to be deep, but he provides good coverage and he is actually more than likeable. He also beats the heck out of the coverage we had before he was assigned to cover Uconn Football. I have no problem with Dez, and I have no problem with a sports reporter using terms like "What's Good?". I would take him over J. Jacobs every day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom