why go for 2? (byu-bsu) | The Boneyard

why go for 2? (byu-bsu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
thye had no kicker. take the point and go to ot. bsu has a worse O then us this year. they would go for it on 4th in ot and byu would get its shot. just wierd.

for the record, i think we are a lot like bsu this year. but we have a kicker and a stud lb. if we take care of biz the next 2 games, ppl will start to see.

Reaction Score
Wow. I agree with the announcer! Why not tie the game? Anyway GOOD! I like Boise and have reservations about BYU coming in the league.

Reaction Score
BYU has name recognition nation wide and we need any and every angle we can get to keep Boise St from pulling a TCU on us. If the bidders on the tv contract see a committed Boise St and BYU to the Big East the pot might get sweeter for everyone. More money(per school) means stronger league stability. Hey Boise St & BYU aren't Alabama or USC but.... their better than 90% of the ACC, better than 50% of the Big 10 or the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
BYU has name recognition nation wide and we need any and every angle we can get to keep Boise St from pulling a TCU on us. If the bidders on the tv contract see a committed Boise St and BYU to the Big East the pot might get sweeter for everyone. More money(per school) means stronger league stability. Hey Boise St & BYU aren't Alabama or USC but.... their better than 90% of the ACC, better than 50% of the Big 10 or the Pac 12.

Agreed. Especially since Boise is now in a fall from grace with 2 losses. Ahhh the Big East curse continues.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Um Boise won.

TDH is probably just happy that BYU tried to throw for the 2 pt conversion since throwing the ball is obviously the best way to provide an entertaining product.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If BYU was going to be aggressive, they should have finished the game aggressive. After missing the 2 point conversion they should have tried an onside kick. Also, down by 1 with no timeouts and 3 mins left, why not just let Boise score? That way you are down by 8 with a chance to tie. That is better than watching the other team run the clock out. Of course Boise may have not taken the td, but it is worth the risk.

But, it was a bad move going for 2 in the first place.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about either team, but I can see going for two there. You would do it for one of two reasons:

1. You had a play that you thought had a greater than 50% chance of working. Since the odds are something like 40% to 45% in college generally, it's not a big stretch to sometimes just believe you have a play that will tip the odds in your favor.

2. In OT, your FG kicking becomes disproportionately important. If you think the other team has a big advantage on you in the kicking game, I absolutely can see taking your shot there and winning or losing on a 2. If you go back to the game we lost in Raleigh to NC State when we still had Orlovsky, I absolutely thought we should have gone for 2 when we tied the game with a 1 with about 3 minutes left because I didn't like our odds bringing out Matt Nuzie in that environment on the road in OT.

I was watching. Most coaches take the 1, and that's the safe play. But I don't view it at all as flat out dumb -- it depends what his reasoning was.

Reaction Score
2. In OT, your FG kicking becomes disproportionately important. If you think the other team has a big advantage on you in the kicking game, I absolutely can see taking your shot there and winning or losing on a 2. If you go back to the game we lost in Raleigh to NC State when we still had Orlovsky, I absolutely thought we should have gone for 2 when we tied the game with a 1 with about 3 minutes left because I didn't like our odds bringing out Matt Nuzie in that environment on the road in OT.

I was watching. Most coaches take the 1, and that's the safe play. But I don't view it at all as flat out dumb -- it depends what his reasoning was.

But #2 is the key point. BYU had a HUGE advantage over Boise in FG kicking ... since Boise had stopped using its kicker.

Boise had not scored an offensive touchdown all game and it had no FG kicker. Thus, its chances of scoring in OT were low.
As long as BYU had a kicker who could hit from ~40 yards -- less if they could get a 1st down -- they win.

The odds were in BYU's favor. Taking a risk was a poor decision.

Reaction Score
But #2 is the key point. BYU had a HUGE advantage over Boise in FG kicking ... since Boise had stopped using its kicker.

Boise had not scored an offensive touchdown all game and it had no FG kicker. Thus, its chances of scoring in OT were low.
As long as BYU had a kicker who could hit from ~40 yards -- less if they could get a 1st down -- they win.

The odds were in BYU's favor. Taking a risk was a poor decision.

I turned the game on when the Giants were done. If that is the case, then I don't get it either.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
clueless

maybe that one drive intoxicated him

anyhow, as others have said, with Boise unwilling to even attempt a FG, the advantage in OT swings to BYU

keep it in your pants coach

Reaction Score
Boise missed a 33-yd FG early. After that, they passed up opportunities for 47, 44, 37, and 20 yd-field goals, and instead went for it on 4th down.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I gotta disagree with you guys on this. If he gets the 2-point conversion, they probably win the game. They're on the road, their offense has shown they could get into the end zone for what was probably the only time all night. Forget how you can win the game in OT, win the game right then and there.

With the way both offenses looked, I refuse to believe in any situation that prolonged the game based on the ability to have offensive success. C'mon. They might have shut each other out from the 25-yard line for 4 more hours.

AND THE O/U WAS 50.5!!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Did they have no kicker? This would be the only thing that would make any sense. In a game where it appeared nearly impossible to move the ball OT logically would have been the outcome if the kicked the extra point. If they wanted to get risky they could have tried the same thing in OT.

Reaction Score
The 2nd QB BYU brought in was moving the ball better down the field, so they definitely should have kicked the XP. I can't believe BSU is still having trouble finding kickers. If I remember correctly, BSU could have gone to BCS games in 2010 and 2011 with a couple of FGs.

Reaction Score
Um Boise won.
Damn, I hate when my one mistake occurs before the last week in a month. Besides weren't folks trying to get BYU into the BE-West-Frontier Conference? So just substitute one for the other. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom