Why Geno Auriemma Should Move On From UConn | The Boneyard

Why Geno Auriemma Should Move On From UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate to say this. I hate to bring up a touchy subject, something that the lovely grandmas and grandpas who love the UConn women will get mad at me for, something that half-asleep Huskies fans might actually have to read all the way to the end.

But I feel like it’s the only thing to say after UConn’s 66-54 outclassing of No. 2 South Carolina in Columbia on Monday night, a game in which the Huskies led by as many as 21 points and never trailed.

It’s the only logical conclusion to reach after watching this team build a modern-day Roman Empire in women’s college basketball, treating other, even elite programs like Iberia.

It’s time for Geno Auriemma to move on from UConn.

It’s time for him to try men’s college basketball, the NBA, the WNBA, hockey, curling, something else.

The man is too...

[MORE ...lots more]

Reaction Score
Winning never gets old. Maybe Kels is looser all his life and thus never know what's winning is like.

Reaction Score
The writer states that Geno has the most wins of all-time, which is blatantly untrue. Tough to take someone seriously when they don't take the time to google search basic facts.

Reaction Score
The writer states that Geno has the most wins of all-time, which is blatantly untrue. Tough to take someone seriously when they don't take the time to google search basic facts.
I' don't think the article was intended to be serious. More like a back door salute to phenomenal accomplishment.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno's next big move will be devoting more time to his grandchildren. Certainly not Curling. Funny article though.

Reaction Score
I' don't think the article was intended to be serious. More like a back door salute to phenomenal accomplishment.
I'm sure you're right about intent. But seriously, one of the most important lessons--perhaps THE most important lesson--to learn in life is to appreciate where/when you are happiest. Geno is a fantastic pragmatist, and while he is obviously tempted by the men's game and bristles at those who qualify his achievements because it's the women's game, he know at his age, with his circle of family and friends, that this is where he makes his stand. Dealing with the prima donnas in the pro game doesn't fit with how he molds a team.

Reaction Score
If the article was even meant to be serious, I'd say Kels Dayton is the one who needs to seek new employment.

Reaction Score
May I recommend that Kels Dayton move on to another field ! Why don't he try 'Curling' ?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
It's a fun little story -- not especially well written.
The writer should have gone a bit further with additional job recommendations, either within or outside of sports.
But, hey, he was having some fun.
Good for him

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Clearly, this is tongue-in-cheek. If it weren't, it'd simply be an attention grab. Bottom line, no one seriously believes people should try something else when they've mastered one thing already...

Reaction Score
I hope we don't make fun off-limits on the Boneyard. Winning and fun seem to me to be a coveted combination. BTW, I haven't seen any challenge or mention of it here, but I seriously doubt Geno really carries 5 cell phones. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I hope we don't make fun off-limits on the Boneyard. Winning and fun seem to me to be a coveted combination. BTW, I haven't seen any challenge or mention of it here, but I seriously doubt Geno really carries 5 cell phones. :rolleyes:
Nah, it was just mediocre idea that was poorly executed. Agree with the posters that suggest adding more potential job descriptions (e.g., #8. End global warming...) could have saved it along better research.

mr006

Reaction Score
Clearly, this is tongue-in-cheek. If it weren't, it'd simply be an attention grab. Bottom line, no one seriously believes people should try something else when they've mastered one thing already...

I vote for it being an attention-grab...

BTW, he is still setting the records others will be chasing. Might as well make the records as challenging and worth breaking as possible :)

He is also still trying to push (drag?) the sport forward by showing how good it can be. Maybe that's another exercise in futility, but someone has to do it. And it is still unfinished business.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If it was intended to be tongue in cheek the author has a lot of polishing to do on his writing skills.

I, too, vote for attention gathering.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Kels must really need the attention.....and will say anything to get it......must be contract time.

Reaction Score
WTNH wont even report a Women's basketball score, they use sports as a filler and now clearly feel its time to bash the 1% that succeeds. Pull their press pass and let them read the score from the "New Haven Register" where they get all their news from anyway.

Reaction Score
At least the got rid of Noah Finz but not certain that per se improved anything.

For some reason WTNH seems like a newspaper with a seriously bad circulation trend (God forbid they should look at improving the product).

WTNH wont even report a Women's basketball score, they use sports as a filler and now clearly feel its time to bash the 1% that succeeds. Pull their press pass and let them read the score from the "New Haven Register" where they get all their news from anyway.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

I dunno, bro. I saw him doing a news interview on SNY where he was wearing all ten rings! What a he-go!

Reaction Score
I dunno, bro. I saw him doing a news interview on SNY where he was wearing all ten rings! What a he-go!
Maybe he was just rehearsing for the commercial. :rolleyes:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

Um, that LOOKS like an SNY interview, but is in fact the commercial......for UConn. NOT a real interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom