Why Football is the best UConn fan experience by far | The Boneyard

Why Football is the best UConn fan experience by far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have had UConn FB, MBB, WBB, and Soccer season tickets since I graduated in 1970. I currently have FB and WBB season tickets. Without a doubt, going to a football game is the best experience. How can that be, you ask! How could anyone enjoy attending a FB game the last three years? I love UConn BB but going to a game at Gampel or the XL can’t come close to matching my experience at the Rent. Here’s a few reasons:

· The tailgating experience at the Rent is awesome (we have a group of 12)

· Looking around and seeing all the flags, grills, and kids throwing footballs is awesome

· Just closing your eyes and taking a wiff of the food cooking makes you want to have another “cold one”

· Sitting with your family and friends for a few hours and being able to have football and non-football conversations that last more than a minute is very rewarding

· Walking around the parking lot and meeting the friendly UConn and visiting fans eating, drinking, talking, and playing tailgating games is quite a site

· Hearing the Husky Band playing is invigorating

· Enjoying burgers, chicken, steak, beer, and wine only makes the experience better (Big Cliff is an awsome chef)

· Knowing that everyone in the lot is just chomping at the bit to be part of a winning tradition again makes it feel like a brotherhood

Standing up on third down and screaming like crazy as we stuff the running back or knock down a pass gives me a rush as our group is giving "High Fives" to each other

Please don’t wait for the team to start winning. Start attending games NOW. Join the HCBD era at the ground floor. The ride might be a little bumpy at first but that will make it all the more fun.

What do you enjoy most when attending games at the Rent?

Reaction Score
I have had UConn FB, MBB, WBB, and Soccer season tickets since I graduated in 1970. I currently have FB and WBB season tickets. Without a doubt, going to a football game is the best experience. How can that be, you ask! How could anyone enjoy attending a FB game the last three years? I love UConn BB but going to a game at Gampel or the XL can’t come close to matching my experience at the Rent. Here’s a few reasons:

· Looking around and seeing all the flags, grills, and kids throwing footballs is awesome

· Just closing your eyes and taking a wiff of the food cooking makes you want to have another “cold one”

· Sitting with your family and friends for a few hours and being able to have football and non-football conversations that last more than a minute is very rewarding

· Walking around the parking lot and meeting the friendly UConn and visiting fans eating, drinking, talking, and playing tailgating games is quite a site

· Enjoying burgers, chicken, steak, beer, and wine only makes the experience better (Big Cliff is an awsome chef)

· Knowing that everyone in the lot is just chomping at the bit to be part of a winning tradition again makes it feel like a brotherhood

Standing up on third down and screaming like crazy as we stuff the running back or knock down a pass gives me a rush as our group is giving "High Fives" to each other

Please don’t wait for the team to start winning. Start attending games NOW. Join the HCBD era at the ground floor. The ride might be a little bumpy at first but that will make it all the more fun.

This should be posted on every sports board on the 'yard.

Reaction Score
What do I enjoy MOST about going to the games at the Rent?

Tough question, so much to choose from, so many angles to look at. From a personal perspective, what comes to mind right now as I type, was my wife and I, together for that first game a long time ago with our kids, and the look of excitement on my youngest kids faces when the team ran out of the tunnel with the smoke around and music. Priceless. That was a long time ago now. So many memories since.

Mostly it's the anticipation though, and then following through the whole process. There is no one thing - for me. Getting ready for the tailgates, getting the food ready, coming up with new and interesting things to try out. Getting to the stadium. Setting up with thousands of other people that are engaged for the same reason. Checking out what everybody else in the row that day brought. Sharing food and drink. Breaking it all down, and then getting in through the lines - and that first moment when you actually see the field. Then - the game - and ideally, and hopefully a lot more than not - heading out after a win, and going home, thinking about and getting ready for the next time.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

What a post. Can't like it enough.

Reaction Score

Great post. Perfect.

Reaction Score
Love the game day experience. Food, camaraderie, etc. It's like a family reunion. With enough stressors in our lives, I feel that it's a major source of relaxation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Love the game day experience. Food, camaraderie, etc. It's like a family reunion. With enough stressors in our lives, I feel that it's a major source of relaxation.

Exactly. I still can't believe all of the Rent-bashers on this board. Even though most of them seem to be watching the games at home.

Reaction Score

Great post Kenny,
The smell of the food, the laughter of friends, the beer never tasting colder and better and remembrance back to a simpler time as an undergrad...before life happened. A chance to turn off
your smartphone and truly savor every minute at the Rent because to me life doesn't get any better than this-being with friends, family , great food surrounded by all things UCONN..

Reaction Score
Tailgating......beats any sport. I would still rather watch Uconn football over basketball just because tailgating is so much fun. Its nice when your football team wins but tailgating is always fun even at 0-9

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love second half close game. As it's getting dark and whoever is trailing is picking up the pace getting on and off the field

The wind picking up and the speed of how fast or slow the clock is moving depending on who is winning.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The wind picking up and the speed of how fast or slow the clock is moving depending on who is winning.

Now I can't get that PP Temple game out of my mind. Thanks for nuttin'.

Reaction Score
Great thread. I am excited and up for every game essentially counting the seconds at work on weeks leading up to home games. I tend to park at Silvas and walking through the lots smelling the food, seeing the flags, hearing the band...Best 7 weekends of the year.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I love soaking in a sunny day, cold brews and a warm buzz. I love great fall weather. I love sheets of rain, a rocking Rent and a frustrated, soaked opponent. I love 30 degrees and snowing with USF wishing they were back in the locker room. And of course I love Huskies football.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Night games at the Rent always make me that type of way. Hard for me to say its my favorite experience though.

Reaction Score
In my youth tailgating at Yale Bowl was fantastic. I'm a basketball player and fan but you can't beat tailgating!

Reaction Score
Dido - Great experience. Most sports fans in Connecticut who have never enjoyed a UCONN football game at the Rent have no idea what they are missing. Been going to games since the Rent opened and am in a great tail gate group!

Reaction Score
Always been a big hoop fan back to the Fieldhouse days but the level of pageantry for big time football can't be matched. The energy level in the tailgating areas, the UCMB, braving the elements, are just a few of the reasons.

Reaction Score
From Vermont, Delaware State, Nicholls St. New Haven and the rest of the YC to Miami,VT, ND, GTech, Oklahoma, Michigan and BYU, its been quite a ride.

LOL. Aint' that the truth. You forgot Yale and UMass. The one thing missing, that we gave up for this ride Duncan, was any resemblance of an annual rivalry. I wouldn't trade any of it, but I am hopeful that sooner than later, the train will end up in a good place, and we can start to build some annual rivalry games again. Until then, I just keep going, and the anticipation of the games, the planning and then execution of the tailgate - (see what I did there?) and then being in the stadium - an actual division 1A stadium, playing division 1A big boy football. Awesome.

Reaction Score
I am an unabashed football first fan, but my greatest UConn experience is still the Ramstein win against MSU, meeting Ollie, Calhoun, Big Warde Manuel in a C-17 hangar while I was marooned in the middle of Europe was surreal.

But for me there is nothing better than rolling up and seeing the acres and acres of flags on gameday, no matter what time or day.

Reaction Score
I love soaking in a sunny day, cold brews and a warm buzz. I love great fall weather. I love sheets of rain, a rocking Rent and a frustrated, soaked opponent. I love 30 degrees and snowing with USF wishing they were back in the locker room. And of course I love Huskies football.
The game against Memphis last season was sort of epic. People wouldn't stay around because it was so cold. And yet, we had players setting records on the field.

I can't even drink anymore or my girl is going to kill me (or leave me!)

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Awesome post. Actually have me goosebumps thinking about it. I don't even know where to start with this...

I think getting into the lots early on a Saturday morning when theres still dew on the grass, and hoisting the flags, getting the grill fired up all comes to mind. The feeling I always get walking into The Rent and up to our seats, its like coming home every season. Walking up to the landing before my row and taking a look out onto the field, watching the boys warm up and taking it all in. A stop at the Rentschler Field Pub for a half and half, and then back to our seats for the anthem and kickoff.

Can't wait for the 29th! Already been thinking of unique tailgating menus for this season... I'm acutally leaving our family vacation a day early on the Cape to get to the BYU game. Had to really talk my wife into it. Lol ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The game against Memphis last season was sort of epic. People wouldn't stay around because it was so cold. And yet, we had players setting records on the field.

I can't even drink anymore or my girl is going to kill me (or leave me!)

Hold on there is now a Mrs Butch?

Reaction Score

Know what? The sheer joy of the experience described above; the juxtaposition and panorama of sights, sounds and smells portray the kind of desirable environment that people seek out for themselves and their families. Combined with professionally provided video (air and ground level views of flags/people/food) and appropriate background music, the word picture painted by Kenny (with proper narration) is a great foundation for a TV/WWW ad.

SH, WM. Read Kenny's "post!" It describes the essence of the UCONN FB experience. Don't be afraid to sell the romance.

Again. like past UCONN FB successes, it's no good if it stays a BY secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom