'Why do they keep shooting all those threes' | The Boneyard

'Why do they keep shooting all those threes'

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We have heard this from some of our fans here on the boneyard, and visiting other boards I see the complaint as well. The other versions of it are 'why doesn't she drive to the basket' or 'why aren't we getting it into the post players'. (I even see this quoted from some post game coaches' pressers.)

And usually the answer is pretty simple - teams, especially teams over-matched in the low post, tend to play sagging zone defense - often some version of 4 in 1 out, or 3 in 2 out, meaning three or four players in the paint area and one or two players around the perimeter applying pressure on the ball or running at a shooter. Temple played that kind of defense almost exclusively against Uconn whenever they had the chance to get back and set it up. Watching Butler in the second half being sandwiched by two or three players, and Tuck and Stewart in the first half you could see how difficult the entry passes would be, and how difficult trying to drive into all that humanity would be.

Against that kind of defense you really do have to make some shots, or rely on rebounds and put backs. Unless you are making perimeter shots there is no reason for the defense to come out from the lane. Luckily getting open perimeter shots is pretty easy.

One thing I was really happy to see from Uconn was the number of pull up jumpers taken in the Temple game. Those 10-15 foot shots can be as effective in altering the defense as three point bombs, and tend to be higher percentage shots.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
One thing I was really happy to see from Uconn was the number of pull up jumpers taken in the Temple game. Those 10-15 foot shots can be as effective in altering the defense as three point bombs, and tend to be higher percentage shots.
Yup. Seems so simple from my easy chair. Kia needs to put some air under hers.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thats why steals (turnovers during the full court press) and fast breaks are also important

besides... the other team has to score as well

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
We can thank,in my opinion,the media,for the upsurge in the number of threes taken on the women's side,and the number of threes and dunks on the men's side.
Years ago,(showing my age),media reported the game,noting outstanding play,teamwork,talent,and such,and even though there were stars in the games,the whole concept was about winning and contributing to that winning atmosphere.
There were major stars and dominating teams,but the emphasis was on the whole and not the individual,as it is today.
With the inclusion of the three,and the execution of the dunk being displayed more and more,it became something the media could make sexy,and the idea of the importance of team took a back seat,and individual play and results became the media focus.
Young people began to see the advantage of becoming adapt at these things,to be recognized nationally,and got away from what is best for the team and the game,and,instead concentrated on what would be best for them.
On top of that,over the years,the media,in general,has flooded us with the idea it should be in the best interest,no matter what one does,for I,me,and not us.
There were some great teams over the years,both men and women,and some great stars,but,those teams that consistently were winning,were recognized more for team dominance and not so much individual stardom.Individual stars were well recognized,for sure,but,teams like the Celtics were more glorified as a team,and not just for one star.
This,is why,in my opinion,there is such a recognition,in today's I,I,me,me society,for Connecticut.For all the individual stars that have worn the Connecticut uniform,the dominance over the years that the school has had in women's basketball,has been largely due to total team play,and has been recognized as such.We have had our dominant outside scorers,inside players,defensive wizards,and floor generals,but what is most important,here,is team,and very few other schools can proudly stand by that idea year after year.
Stewart,if she wanted to,Diana if she wanted to,Maya,Tina,and many more,could have raised up their stats,completely dominated the games,and basked in the spotlight a lot more than they did or have.However,the beauty of Connecticut basketball,is the whole and not the individual.This is why we get excited with the entry of a game with TLaw,and all the other minor players that have been at Connecticut.It is a different mind set here,than in the rest of the country,even though it is generally against what the media wants.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I dont think the media has anything to do with why UConn shoots sooooo many threes as the OP is wondering.

BTW the womens side is lucky if they get any attention from the media

and for those who dont care for the dunk, the 3 pointer, tats, showboating etc. I suggest you subscribe to your local paper just for the boxscore, small write-up and a black & white photo or 2.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
and for those who dont care for the dunk, the 3 pointer, tats, showboating etc. I suggest you subscribe to your local paper just for the boxscore, small write-up and a black & white photo or 2.
LOL. :D

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I like the 3 point shot. I think it rewards a particular skill set. Dunking in WBB not so much. Mostly because it is such a lame version of a men's dunk and it counts for no more than a layup.

I don't know about other teams, but UConn has been fairly consistent on the number of 3s taken. I remember hearing Auriemma saying (years ago) that he tried to limit the number of outside shots but I don't remember the number he was looking for. I think it was between 1/4 and 1/3. I'm sure that the makeup of the team also has an impact on the number of outside shots. When MM and TC played the number was less, as low as 22% in 2007. IMO it has nothing to do with media.

15/16 32%
14/15 32%
13/14 32%
12/13 35%
11/12 34%

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it was between 1/4 and 1/3. I'm sure that the makeup of the team also has an impact on the number of outside shots.
I believe he said 1/3 is the number he thinks is best, and 1/3 post-ups as well.
We can thank,in my opinion,the media,for the upsurge in the number of threes taken on the women's side,and the number of threes and dunks on the men's side.
Years ago,(showing my age),media reported the game,noting outstanding play,teamwork,talent,and such,and even though there were stars in the games,the whole concept was about winning and contributing to that winning atmosphere.
There were major stars and dominating teams,but the emphasis was on the whole and not the individual,as it is today.
With the inclusion of the three,and the execution of the dunk being displayed more and more,it became something the media could make sexy,and the idea of the importance of team took a back seat,and individual play and results became the media focus.
Young people began to see the advantage of becoming adapt at these things,to be recognized nationally,and got away from what is best for the team and the game,and,instead concentrated on what would be best for them.
On top of that,over the years,the media,in general,has flooded us with the idea it should be in the best interest,no matter what one does,for I,me,and not us.
There were some great teams over the years,both men and women,and some great stars,but,those teams that consistently were winning,were recognized more for team dominance and not so much individual stardom.Individual stars were well recognized,for sure,but,teams like the Celtics were more glorified as a team,and not just for one star.
This,is why,in my opinion,there is such a recognition,in today's I,I,me,me society,for Connecticut.For all the individual stars that have worn the Connecticut uniform,the dominance over the years that the school has had in women's basketball,has been largely due to total team play,and has been recognized as such.We have had our dominant outside scorers,inside players,defensive wizards,and floor generals,but what is most important,here,is team,and very few other schools can proudly stand by that idea year after year.
Stewart,if she wanted to,Diana if she wanted to,Maya,Tina,and many more,could have raised up their stats,completely dominated the games,and basked in the spotlight a lot more than they did or have.However,the beauty of Connecticut basketball,is the whole and not the individual.This is why we get excited with the entry of a game with TLaw,and all the other minor players that have been at Connecticut.It is a different mind set here,than in the rest of the country,even though it is generally against what the media wants.
I agree with you about the dunk, and I would carry the same theory over to the 'touchdown dance' and general showboating like the first down signal, sack dance, and chest bump. I think the first real bump in attention came with the shattered backboards that got constant play on sports reports for weeks and led to the hinged rim.

On the three point shot - I think it really is sound coaching and simple math. If your guards and wings were shooting 50% from 18 feet, then they only had to hit 33% from 3 +/- feet further away to score the same number of points. Coaches and players alike did the math and realized that for most decent shooters stepping back made strategic sense.

Reaction Score
I'm also a huge fan of the 3-ball. It would appear as if Geno encourages some of our bigs( KLS, Tuck and Stewie) to shoot the three when open. It should bring out a big defender which makes rebounding a miss more likel, among other benefits. . The numbers are fairly interesting as to results. This year we are averaging 1.1 points per three point shot. We average 1.18 for non-3 point shots. If we take away easy transition baskets our average points per 3-ball shot has got to be significantly higher than 2 point shots when we are in the half court offense. What we don't know and what would be interesting is the offensive rebounding differential between missed threes and missed twos. My sense is that we have a higher % of offensive rebounds on threes which makes it an even more powerful weapon. However, that is clearly guesswork.
In any event, one can really understand the value of KLS as a 6'3" long range shooter as she can command a defender of size. That really opens up the floor for low post entry passes, wings and guards driving to the hoop and widens passing lanes.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Should we pack the paint v. SC and let them have at it from 3 polint land?
Well, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see UConn play some zone against them. UConn has a lot of long players, players whose wingspan to height ratio is relatively high. Examples include Stewie, Napheesa, Saniya, Moriah, and possibly Lou and Natalie, who are spacious anyway. Add to that the rambunctious sophomores, Kia and Gabby, and you have the makings of a good zoning team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom