Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hate replay for three reasons:

1. Games are longer
2. Refs are timid
3. They don't even get the calls right

That TD replay just confirmed in the Penn State game is laughable. The ball isn't even in contact with his hands and his next step is out of bounds.

Ban replay. Play the games.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I hate replay for three reasons:

1. Games are longer
2. Refs are timid
3. They don't even get the calls right

That TD replay just confirmed in the Penn State game is laughable. The ball isn't even in contact with his hands and his next step is out of bounds.

Ban replay. Play the games.
Uh-oh. Somebody bet on USC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Uh-oh. Somebody bet on USC.

Nah - I hate replay. If they would get the calls right with replay I'd accept it but they get as many wrong with it as right - so it is just creates the illusion of accuracy while you can see the impact it has on officials.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Nah - I hate replay. If they would get the calls right with replay I'd accept it but they get as many wrong with it as right - so it is just creates the illusion of accuracy while you can see the impact it has on officials.

I don't believe that we should get rid of replay however.... more plays are being reviewed on YoY basis and more calls are being reversed. (For the NFL)

History of Instant Replay | NFL Football Operations

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So now we get commercials for a replay review. Maybe they get this one right?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The other one that drives me nuts is in hockey when they wave off a goal because of a microscopic offsides that happened 90 seconds before the goal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The other one that drives me nuts is in hockey when they wave off a goal because of a microscopic offsides that happened 90 seconds before the goal.

I can't watch hockey because the rules by which they make the standings are too painfully stupid.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I can't watch hockey because the rules by which they make the standings are too painfully stupid.

Yeah they got way to cute with that. I married Canadian so I'm watching if I want to or not. ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah they got way to cute with that. I married Canadian so I'm watching if I want to or not. ;)

3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT/SO win, 1 for an OT/SO loss, 0 for a regulation loss.

Would improve the league 100% with one change but it wouldn't allow garbage teams to only be 10 points out of the playoffs mid-season

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT/SO win, 1 for an OT/SO loss, 0 for a regulation loss.

Would improve the league 100% with one change but it wouldn't allow garbage teams to only be 10 points out of the playoffs mid-season
I'm pretty sure that's a feature... they want more teams involved later. I heard a report that the were looking at adding a 1 game wildcard like play in... because of "how successful" the baseball play in has been.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that's a feature... they want more teams involved later. I heard a report that the were looking at adding a 1 game wildcard like play in... because of "how successful" the baseball play in has been.

I know why they keep it. It's an affront to the concept of competition. Teams are rewarded for playing for ties.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I know why they keep it. It's an affront to the concept of competition. Teams are rewarded for playing for ties.

Um, you can't complain about the OT/standings thing in the same post as "teams are rewarded for playing for ties." The whole reason for the standings thing is trying to get rid of playing for OT / ties.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'd just dump overtime and go back to the old rules. There's nothing wrong with ties.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Um, you can't complain about the OT/standings thing in the same post as "teams are rewarded for playing for ties." The whole reason for the standings thing is trying to get rid of playing for OT / ties.

Well they sort of botched then didn't they? A regulation win is worth a total of 2 points and games that go to OT are worth 3.

So you are giving the teams an incentive to go to OT.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'm cool with the way FIFA-sanctioned tournaments do it. Three points for a win and one for a tie. Adds a little more incentive for actually winning.

? The "old" rules in the NHL were this? Too many teams played for a tie, as the single point is valuable. It led to boring conservative 3rd periods and OT.

Not shocking the soccerheads will like boring and low-scoring. :)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Well they sort of botched then didn't they? A regulation win is worth a total of 2 points and games that go to OT are worth 3.

So you are giving the teams an incentive to go to OT.

Yes, but they're also giving incentive for the OT to not be a snoozefest. Nothing is boring about OT, if it's done correctly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, but they're also giving incentive for the OT to not be a snoozefest. Nothing is boring about OT, if it's done correctly.

I didn't say it was boring - I am saying the way they calculate points in the standings is idiotic. I get it's intentional so that the 12th place team can pretend they are in the playoff race.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
? The "old" rules in the NHL were this? Too many teams played for a tie, as the single point is valuable. It led to boring conservative 3rd periods and OT.

Not shocking the soccerheads will like boring and low-scoring. :)

No you got 2 points for a win and 1 for a tie. That's why 3 for a regulation win would fix many problems.

Instead of needing ridiculous gimmicks to make the game 'exciting'.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Everyone gets gets a medal.

No... everyone is in the playoff hunt until late in the season so fans will continue to go to games and pay for merch, and teams wont tank as soon. Off course we all know how much better it was back in the day... and what not... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Replay is necessary for the next time the Huskies are robbed on an obvious mistake. Or for that long USC sideline catch called incomplete in the 4th quarter of The Rose Bowl-- which was in fact complete. It would be insane for mistakes so clearly obvious to fans seeing them replayed on wide screens with HD/4K precision, to go uncorrected on the field. The delays are absolutely worth getting it right--even if at times they still get it wrong.

Reaction Score
There have been some studies that say that slowing things down doesn't actually result in a more accurate result. Just a different interpretation because you lose time perspective. But I agree with whaler. It lengthens the game. It makes refs sloppy more than tentative I think because they don't need to "get it right" and it doesn't necessarily get to better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom