Why did I think Bryant is a "big" dude? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why did I think Bryant is a "big" dude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's fine. There are people here who think Davis can play now and not RS.

What I'm saying is that those people were watching a different game than I was.

If he plays a snap this upcoming season we're either down 3 QBs due to injury or HCBD is full of it... You'd think the first part would be the only way it happened.

Reaction Score
I'll cut Davis some slack on that pass due to the big wind at his back. What I I loved was his enthusiasm and seeming "command and control" of the huddle. He looked like he belonged out there. And his size. He's 6'4" and looked every bit of it. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I sensed an "it" factor in the kid.

LOL. Come on man. Obi was wearing a red jersey in what if I remember correctly was a 2 deep safety quarters coverage shell. Davis let the ball go into what would have been double coverage had there been a receiver in the area and the wind had nothing to do with it. He didn't see Obi in the coverage pre snap, even though he was wearing red, and he threw a ball to a route that wasn't there. He's a true freshmen that played like a true freshmen. I liked his physical presence on the field, other than that if he sees the field we are in trouble.

I saw a lot on Saturday, and the positive energy and enthusiasm from everyone was great. There were procedural penalties from the get go, fumbles, interceptions, miscommunications.....there was one play where Boyle threw the ball into the dirt because the tackle got beat so bad that the DE came in full speed on him and in a real game would have cleaned his clock. I'm not sure if we're going to be a better team this year, than we were last year based on what I saw Saturday. What I do think is that if they can ever get the discipline together on the football basics of communication, procedure and execution of play calls - we'll have a chance to move the ball and score points as long as Shireffs can stay on his feet and play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's fine. There are people here who think Davis can play now and not RS.

What I'm saying is that those people were watching a different game than I was.

No, they were watching the same game, but they didn't see it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I liked Davis' wheels. He had a nice scramble in the 4th down the UConn sideline that picked up a very easy 10-12 yards. Those long legs gobble up lots of yards very quickly. I also liked seeing him down field on a running play ready to block...although I hope he eventually learns that he's more valuable standing safely 10 yards behind the LOS than throwing blocks down field. But QBs who throw blocks seem to inspire their teammates and scream leadership which, as a true FR, is a quality that I love seeing. He absolutely has talent.

All that said, he's not ready to play this year (based on what I saw at the SG). He doesn't have the touch or accuracy to play...yet. That's not a knock on the kid whatsoever. If he does see the field by chance, it would likely mean that the play package for him would be of the "wildcat" type. Plays that he would use his legs. But my hope is that he redshirts and learns the offense while working on his throwing. If he can develop properly and not be rushed into action like Boyle was, he could be an absolute beast by his JR year.

Reaction Score
No, they were watching the same game, but they didn't see it.

Can we really evaluate the performance of a kid (based on 3rd string reps during 15 practices) who's High School class has yet to graduate? He may not be ready, but he'll be a different player in August. Looks like a thoroughbred colt to me.

Reaction Score
Can we really evaluate the performance of a kid (based on 3rd string reps during 15 practices) who's High School class has yet to graduate? He may not be ready, but he'll be a different player in August. Looks like a thoroughbred colt to me.

Sure we can evaluate. Did you see him play? I do agree with you otherwise though, and I've written a few times now that I was impressed with his physical presence on the field. QB needs to see the field and make decisions though, and I saw all I needed to see in one play to form my opinion that he's not anywhere ready, and won't be any time soon. It is what it is. The last thing this fragile fan base needs is the next coming of the famous backup QB that never played a down being the savior. Unless Boyle has some kind of epiphany over the summer, this team on offense goes as far as Shireffs takes it based on what I saw on Saturday. Davis is going to run the scout team if you ask me, and it's not a question.

Reaction Score
If he can develop properly and not be rushed into action like Boyle was, he could be an absolute beast by his JR year.

While I'm not against redshirting Davis's (if he were to redshirt) JR year wouldn't be until the 2018 season. So much can happen between now and 2018, new coaches, new position coaches with different philosophies, different Oline, different WR's and RB's, injuries. All of those scenarios can affect a QB from year to year. We aren't the OSU but if we have a talented/gifted QB's that can beat out an upper classman based on talent then so be it. If not then redshirt them, but I do believe in impact freshman and their ability to help turn programs around, regardless of the program's name.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't trust this fanbase to be realistic about Davis. Sure he has great physical attributes and nice presence on the field, but there's absolutely no way of knowing whether that can translate to performance in a D1 ballgame right off the bat. Look at all of the positive hubbub surrounding Boyle compared to how he's stunk it up on the field the past two years (and people still believe he's the second coming of Orlovsky). Not saying that Davis will be another Boyle, but we have to stop with the incessant hyping of players who haven't seen the field. Yes I know we're all desperate for wins, but give the poor kid a break.

Reaction Score
In fairness to him, Obi was wearing the same color jersey as TD, so there is that :rolleyes:

Davis looks like he could be a real player in time, but not now. RS him.

And why the fascination over a JUCO who could not start for his JUCO team?

I think we'll see better production from the QB position, and it feels like we are doing a good job of rebuilding depth, but this is down to BS and TB, only. And I, for one, would love to see TB hold a clipboard all year and regain a year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Sure we can evaluate. Did you see him play? I do agree with you otherwise though, and I've written a few times now that I was impressed with his physical presence on the field. QB needs to see the field and make decisions though, and I saw all I needed to see in one play to form my opinion that he's not anywhere ready, and won't be any time soon. It is what it is. The last thing this fragile fan base needs is the next coming of the famous backup QB that never played a down being the savior. Unless Boyle has some kind of epiphany over the summer, this team on offense goes as far as Shireffs takes it based on what I saw on Saturday. Davis is going to run the scout team if you ask me, and it's not a question.

I've seen Eli Manning make throws like Davis's after winning 2 superbowls. He made a bad throw and when I saw it, I too shook my head but I won't judge the kid by one mistake. If Davis is the thoroughbred I think he is, he will find his way to the field somehow, that's what the great ones do. I saw something different than I have seen in the last 4 years from the UCONN QB. Davis has shown leadership skill far beyond his years during this past recruitment period. I do agree for now Sheriffs is the guy. Mariotta Red shirted his freshman year and went on to start the following season.

http://the-boneyard.com/blog/incoming-qb-tyler-davis-has-a-message-for-the-fans-audio/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't trust this fanbase to be realistic about Davis. Sure he has great physical attributes and nice presence on the field, but there's absolutely no way of knowing whether that can translate to performance in a D1 ballgame right off the bat. Look at all of the positive hubbub surrounding Boyle compared to how he's stunk it up on the field the past two years (and people still believe he's the second coming of Orlovsky). Not saying that Davis will be another Boyle, but we have to stop with the incessant hyping of players who haven't seen the field. Yes I know we're all desperate for wins, but give the poor kid a break.

Wrong. Boyle did not show the Leadership or field presence this early. Furthermore, everyone knows Boyle can throw but is an average runner. That's why Steve Addazio didn't want him. Davis is not only big but can throw, run and has moxy. We should never stop getting excited about talented young rising stars. No one in the Boneyard has the ability or power to name anyone a starting quarterback but we certainly have the right to express our observations. I have been a 4 seat season ticket holder since 2002 and I have seen a lot of mediocre quarterback play over those 12 years. Tyler Davis is somebody to get excited about. He looks to have all the tools in the belt. You are absolutely correct, there is absolutely no way of knowing whether he can play but I maintain, if the opportunity presents itself, Davis will not disappoint. Nobody is hyping Davis. But I resent some on the Boneyard who don't allow free expression. I think there were some fans that saw an exciting confident young player. I maintain, that Tyler David could start for UCONN. Would he make freshman mistakes yes. Would he have some thrilling plays, most likely. Should he start right off the bat- NO. Did Jordan Spieth with the US OPEN tying Tiger Woods record and becoming the youngest player to win the Masters! Yes.

Reaction Score
Have you seen our QB play the last couple of years?

I did. And I have NEVER seen a juco game. But we are talking about a kid who did not start last year for his juco team. If anyone thinks he is the answer, well .......

Now, if it is week 10 and the wheels have come off the bus again and TB has not seen the field and we need to go to #2, give the kid the ball and let him have his chance in the sun. I'd prefer TB and TD wear the same color shirt this year that Obi wore on Sat.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Have you seen our QB play the last couple of years?
And it's also instructive to look at the level of competition Anderson played with, let alone against, at Laney JUCO. I think GA becomes our #2 QB by the end of fall camp and pushes BS for playing time before the season ends. All good.

Laney College Football Transfer List
QB Garrett Anderson (2014) UConn
DL Anthony Fotu (2014) Arizona
QB Kurt Palandech (2014) UNLV
OL Tevita Fonua (2014) New Mexico
DB Tyler Charrette (2014) Memphis
DB Cam Winston (2014) Nevada
DB Earnest Gardner (2014) Oklahoma
DB Demareyeh Lane (2014) Southeastern Louisiana
DB Mike Adams (2014) Louisville/Utah State/Wyoming (Deciding)
LB Eddie Heard (2013) Oregon
DB Jamal Mayo (2013) Hawaii
OL Wendell Taiese (2013) Iowa State
DL Joe Fotu (2013) Illinois
LB Chris Lee (2013) New Mexico

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wrong. Boyle did not show the Leadership or field presence this early. Furthermore, everyone knows Boyle can throw but is an average runner. That's why Steve Addazio didn't want him. Davis is not only big but can throw, run and has moxy. We should never stop getting excited about talented young rising stars. No one in the Boneyard has the ability or power to name anyone a starting quarterback but we certainly have the right to express our observations. I have been a 4 seat season ticket holder since 2002 and I have seen a lot of mediocre quarterback play over those 12 years. Tyler Davis is somebody to get excited about. He looks to have all the tools in the belt. You are absolutely correct, there is absolutely no way of knowing whether he can play but I maintain, if the opportunity presents itself, Davis will not disappoint. Nobody is hyping Davis. But I resent some on the Boneyard who don't allow free expression. I think there were some fans that saw an exciting confident young player. I maintain, that Tyler David could start for UCONN. Would he make freshman mistakes yes. Would he have some thrilling plays, most likely. Should he start right off the bat- NO. Did Jordan Spieth with the US OPEN tying Tiger Woods record and becoming the youngest player to win the Masters! Yes.

Sorry CC. You lose credibility when you compare a QB who has never played a snap of D1 ball to Eli Manning and Marcus Mariota. Nowhere is anybody saying that he won't turn into a special player down the road (I for one am very optimistic that he will), but you're going overboard here.

Reaction Score

Carl pump the brakes. Nobody is squelching your desire or ability to express yourself. We're just expressing how we (and it's nearly unanimous) don't see what you see. Amazing how many people don't understand the concept of freedom of expression.

Comparing him Mariota, Eli Manning, and now Jordan Speith (although I don't get that reference AT ALL)? Good grief.

Reaction Score

I think your objectivity card just got revoked.

Reaction Score
Why not throw more unrealistic pressure on Davis and say he's going to get us into the B1G? I kid of course, but I fully believe the best course of action is to red shirt him. I personally want him to redshirt so that he gets a full year of Balis training and study of the play book. Next year if he can beat out Boyle, Sheriffs and Anderson then so be it. Develop him to the point where he can step in and command the offense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry CC. You lose credibility when you compare a QB who has never played a snap of D1 ball to Eli Manning and Marcus Mariota. Nowhere is anybody saying that he won't turn into a special player down the road (I for one am very optimistic that he will), but you're going overboard here.

You'd need to have credibility to lose it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Get excited about young quarterbacks all you like - but understand the hype is 0-20 since Orlovsky left.

You'd think at some point that reality would temper expectations - especially after a handful of mildly successful plays in garbage time
of a spring game. But - nah.

Reaction Score
I did. And I have NEVER seen a juco game. But we are talking about a kid who did not start last year for his juco team. If anyone thinks he is the answer, well ...
Be careful.... you'll get your head bitten off by some on this board for pointing that FACT out.

Reaction Score
Carl pump the brakes. Nobody is squelching your desire or ability to express yourself. We're just expressing how we (and it's nearly unanimous) don't see what you see. Amazing how many people don't understand the concept of freedom of expression.

Comparing him Mariota, Eli Manning, and now Jordan Speith (although I don't get that reference AT ALL)? Good grief.

Even someone as great as Eli Manning can throw an air ball now and again. Nobody was comparing Tyler Davis to Eli Manning.

Mariota didn't start on his high school team until his senior year, was redshirted and the rest is history. That was the only comparison.

Jorden Speith- every now and again a youngster can come along and blow the field away.

For THIS UCONN team, regardless of how good Tyler Davis may or may not be is not the right team to have a freshman start off the bat. I agree with Spackler that we have to stock pile some of these guys. Starting any freshman QB right now would not be good because there are too many unproven commodities on this team and a very unsteady ship needs to be stabilized. For now, I am hoping that Sheriffs can get it done. I understand that. Once things settle down there may be an opportunity.

Let's keep this simple. I believe Tyler Davis, barring injury will become a star Quarterback for UCONN. I believe he will be REALLY good but I'm not anointing anybody yet. Tyler Davis has to earn my respect and everyone else's. You, elevator neck, Whaler and Spackler don't. No big deal. Just a difference of opinion. Some guys want UCONN to go back to the Big East in Basketball and go back to playing FCS football and I don't agree with that.

If I was starting a football team from scratch and I had to pick from the 4 QB's for the long term, I would go with Tyler Davis. He would be my long term choice. If I had to pick for next year only, it would probably be Brandon Sheriffs.

Most of you guys believe Diaco will be a flop too, so what else is new.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Even someone as great as Eli Manning can throw an air ball now and again. Nobody was comparing Tyler Davis to Eli Manning.

Mariota didn't start on his high school team until his senior year, was redshirted and the rest is history. That was the only comparison.

Jorden Speith- every now and again a youngster can come along and blow the field away.

For THIS UCONN team, regardless of how good Tyler Davis may or may not be is not the right team to have a freshman start off the bat. I agree with Spackler that we have to stock pile some of these guys. Starting any freshman QB right now would not be good because there are too many unproven commodities on this team and a very unsteady ship needs to be stabilized. For now, I am hoping that Sheriffs can get it done. I understand that. Once things settle down there may be an opportunity.

Let's keep this simple. I believe Tyler Davis, barring injury will become a star Quarterback for UCONN. I believe he will be REALLY good but I'm not anointing anybody yet. Tyler Davis has to earn my respect and everyone else's. You, elevator neck, Whaler and Spackler don't. No big deal. Just a difference of opinion. Some guys want UCONN to go back to the Big East in Basketball and go back to playing FCS football and I don't agree with that.

If I was starting a football team from scratch and I had to pick from the 4 QB's for the long term, I would go with Tyler Davis. He would be my long term choice. If I had to pick for next year only, it would probably be Brandon Sheriffs.

Most of you guys believe Diaco will be a flop too, so what else is new.

Like I said.. it's just a troll job.

Reaction Score
Like I said.. it's just a troll job.
images

images
Whaler are you okay? You appear to be distraught?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
images

images
Whaler are you okay? You appear to be distraught?

Like I said now three times... troll job.

Those pictures don't even make any sense.

I wouldn't say I care what your motivation for posting nonsense is - but I'd pay $5 to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom