Why did I think Bryant is a "big" dude? | The Boneyard

Why did I think Bryant is a "big" dude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Makes Whitmer look like Emeka Okafor. NC State wanted to make him a fullback? Also, how did I miss the posters?

Reaction Score
He was listed as 6-3 233 from NCST and on last year's roster alas he went the way of Junior Lee.

Reaction Score
He was listed as 6-3 233 from NCST and on last year's roster alas he went the way of Junior Lee.
Am I wrong in thinking he looks no where near those numbers? Tyler Davis looks HUGE though. I thought Davis was Shirreffs

Reaction Score
Am I wrong in thinking he looks no where near those numbers? Tyler Davis looks HUGE though. I thought Davis was Shirreffs

I thought the same thing... Davis looks big... He had freshmen moments for sure but that last drive against the 1's was, though a fraction of the game, was was impressive. I see a lot more upside in him than originally thought I would. Coming out of spring practice diaco said sherrifs and Boyle are far ahead of him...maybe play book wise but I'd disagree athletically.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I stood next to BS. He is at least 6'2.

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing... Davis looks big... He had freshmen moments for sure but that last drive against the 1's was, though a fraction of the game, was was impressive. I see a lot more upside in him than originally thought I would. Coming out of spring practice diaco said sherrifs and Boyle are far ahead of him...maybe play book wise but I'd disagree athletically.

Tyler Davis could be the man. He has a gun and can move around. Showed leadership. They don't need to Red shirt Davis. He can play now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tyler Davis could be the man. He has a gun and can move around. Showed leadership. They don't need to Red shirt Davis. He can play now.

Just chalk it up to trolling.

Reaction Score
I understand the ranking now but keep an eye on Davis as the season progresses. Depending on Anderson, they may decide to Red shirt him but physically Davis looks like he can play now. Houston's John O'Korn started as a frosh, got beat out last year and is headed to Michigan. Temple's PJ Walker started as a frosh too.

You never know with injuries. If given the shot, I think he would do well.

Reaction Score
Liked what I saw from all QB's today. It would be nice to have one that can make things happen on the ground and still be good through the air. Shirrefs looked like he has that potential. Boyle looked better than the way he played last year and he still is in the mix. His drops were quicker as were his decisions and he got rid of the ball well. I hope Davis redshirts. He looked very confident today and to me looks like a gunslinger. He will push the other two, no doubt. Lot of potential there.

Reaction Score
There wasn't a receiver within 15 yards of Obi on his INT, and Obi was wearing red.

I'll cut Davis some slack on that pass due to the big wind at his back. What I I loved was his enthusiasm and seeming "command and control" of the huddle. He looked like he belonged out there. And his size. He's 6'4" and looked every bit of it. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I sensed an "it" factor in the kid.

Reaction Score
The gap between BS and TB was, based on today, significant.

Not sure I'd use that descriptor. Tim threw some nice passes and looked more sure of himself and Bryant, after some early jitters, also looked confident. His tendency to take off after a first read--which has been mentioned/questioned by the receiving corps--will be interesting to watch for. The separator for me will be the swagger/leadership this team requires from its QB. That's what CC provided. It doesn't come naturally to Tim but he's working on it. Let's see how Bryant does this summer. The Juco kid is an X factor right now. Davis shows lots of promise.
I guess you could call me cautiously enthusiastic about our QB prospects.

Reaction Score
Davis is the new Boyle. I don't give until the end of the Nova game before we hear it. Knock it off.

I honestly have no idea what some people were watching. Davis looked nowhere near ready to step on a college football field right now. That's normally the case for 95% of true freshmen QB's. It's not a knock on him. He just needs time to develop.

Reaction Score
I honestly have no idea what some people were watching. Davis looked nowhere near ready to step on a college football field right now. That's normally the case for 95% of true freshmen QB's. It's not a knock on him. He just needs time to develop.

We absolutely DO NOT want to burn Davis's red shirt this year. I think he could be the future, and am willing to continue to mortgage the present for that.

Reaction Score
We absolutely DO NOT want to burn Davis's red shirt this year. I think he could be the future, and am willing to continue to mortgage the present for that.

It's not even about mortgaging the future. He is just not as good as Shireffs or Boyle right now. He's a distant 3rd based on what I saw. Diaco has stated this publicly. Davis may turn out to be the real deal. But he's not ready as a true frosh. For example, see Mike Nebrich. Turned out to be a good QB just wasn't ready (despite Palatine's claims) as a freshman.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Give Davis a year to learn the system and get stronger. His arm is already good but needs to learn his arm can't get him out of trouble like in high school. He has talent, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
It's not even about mortgaging the future. He is just not as good as Shireffs or Boyle right now. He's a distant 3rd based on what I saw. Diaco has stated this publicly. Davis may turn out to be the real deal. But he's not ready as a true frosh. For example, see Mike Nebrich. Turned out to be a good QB just wasn't ready (despite Palatine's claims) as a freshman.

I'm already sensing that some here would say play Davis even if became the best right in the fall. I say no. Bite the bullet one more year with the others if that is the case. Having said that, I agree that won't be the case.

Reaction Score
I'm already sensing that some here would say play Davis even if became the best right in the fall. I say no. Bite the bullet one more year with the others if that is the case. Having said that, I agree that won't be the case.
With the likes of Shirreffs, Boyle, and come the summer Anderson, why would anyone in their right mind want Davis to see the field this year??! For that I question your sanity. Depth is being created. Let the kid get acclimated to college and college life. Let him battle it out in practice, improve behind the scenes and be ready to play when he is needed. How many programs start true freshmen QB's? Even if there are a handful of them, UConn should not EVER be one of them.

Reaction Score
Davis needs to redshirt. This program HAS to stockpile its. qbs. Reading the tea leaves, Coach Diaco knows this. (Look at 2014, he treated the first half of the season as extended practice sessions). Besides, though Davis showed promise on some plays, he's no Doug Flutie (4th string frosh who towered over the 3 ahead of him due to their own ineptness).

Reaction Score
Davis needs to redshirt. This program HAS to stockpile its. qbs. Reading the tea leaves, Coach Diaco knows this. (Look at 2014, he treated the first half of the season as extended practice sessions). Besides, though Davis showed promise on some plays, he's no Doug Flutie (4th string frosh who towered over the 3 ahead of him due to their own ineptness).

Regardless of what happens, I get the sense that quarterbacking will not be the problem this year. If Garrett Anderson's highlight reel is a true indication of his skill set that further reinforces the depth at QB.

We need to see dramatic improvement in the run game to open up the passing lanes regardless of who is behind center.

As stated, I am excited about Tyler Davis. He looks like the TOTAL package, a very special player. If he has as much potential as I believe (Tangibly and Intangibly) then better days are ahead for UCONN football. I will put my faith in the coaches and hope that they utilize him in the best way possible for his and UCONN's future. With Anderson coming in, there is a good chance Davis Red shirts in 2015. If Anderson is NG then the chance of a Davis RS decreases.

Reaction Score

Davis didn't look ready to step in right now.

But what people saw was a kid with the size of a LB who moved very, very well.
He has a big arm, throwing a strike across the field off his back foot.
He looked like Dan Orlovsky with wheels.

It is easy to see why people are excited.

Reaction Score
Davis didn't look ready to step in right now.

But what people saw was a kid with the size of a LB who moved very, very well.
He has a big arm, throwing a strike across the field off his back foot.
He looked like Dan Orlovsky with wheels.

It is easy to see why people are excited.

That's fine. There are people here who think Davis can play now and not RS.

What I'm saying is that those people were watching a different game than I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom