Why a yearly Thanksgiving series vs UMASS makes sense | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Why a yearly Thanksgiving series vs UMASS makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I doubt Edsall will be the Maryland coach after next season. Even if a rivalry developed, it wouldn't preclude them from seeking out an OOC rival that is close by.
That was never my argument. My point is that the two will probably be forever linked merely because they enter the Big Ten at the same time. Rivalries have formed out of much less.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dicky V...every game he announced that year. Apparently he thought it was 1971 and Juniors weren't allowed to declare for the NBA.

Dickie V.? Wasn't he the guy that said he would do the game if they scheduled it and somehow missed it when they did?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Dickie V.? Wasn't he the guy that said he would do the game if they scheduled it and somehow missed it when they did?
Must have been a Duke game vs. Southwest North Carolina Tech State College on the same day.

Reaction Score
ARMY/NAVY was played in mid December. Which is at least one week after the rest of FBS football school have completed their schedule. I think its been that way for a while.
What happens when Navy joins the AAC? The conference, with 12 teams, will have a conference championship game. Should Navy be eligible for the CCG, will they continue to conclude the regular season one week after participating in it?

Reaction Score
The fan passion has to happen in both directions. It might be there on the Rutgers side, but I sincerely doubt that Maryland will reciprocate.That's what I mean. Penn State has been in the B1G for a couple of decades now, and they really don't have an established rival. Some say MSU is theirs but it doesn't really pass the smell test.
That's my point on "rivalries" With the exception of some natural ones that go back 100 years, Harvard-Yale, Army Navy, Michigan-Ohio State, its really not possible to ordain them. BC-Clemson was supposed to be the ACC match up for the Eagles. Nobody much went for it. And we came from a conference that couldn't seem to figure out to take advantage of the ones that actually existed, in fact seem to go to great lengths sometimes to NOT schedule them for rivalry weekend. Rivalries develop on their own.

Reaction Score
OK. What we are trying to do is create something special. Will UConn vs. UMass ever become one of these:

My guess is not. Obviously it is ridiculous to suggest it would. We are very short in the game of top level college football here. The majority of our history has been played against schools that have not made the jump.

The obvious candidates for us would be Rutgers, BC and UMass for a Thanksgiving Rivalry. Politics aside, it should be BC. There is a built in hatred. There are regional stakes. Recruiting battles.

The rivalry needs to be real and not the creation of athletic departments or broadcasters. There is an existing history here that should be exploited.

Reaction Score
Don't forget the most played college football rivalry: Lehigh vs Lafayette. Go Hawks!

Reaction Score
What happens when Navy joins the AAC? The conference, with 12 teams, will have a conference championship game. Should Navy be eligible for the CCG, will they continue to conclude the regular season one week after participating in it?

To my knowledge, the army/navy game will not be moved, and should the situation arise where Navy will qualify for an American Athletic CCG, with only 11 games played, in 2015 or thereafter, they'll play the CCG on the first Saturday in December, then get Army the following Saturday, and then have their bowl game a week or two later, which if they are in position to play in CCG, and win the Army game as well, will probably be in contention for the 4 team playoff system.

Even if they only played in one bowl game, instead of the 4 team playoff - should Navy get into this position, they'll pretty much put to rest the concept that a true playoff of all conference champions, and at large seeds in a playoff field for a national champion, would be too much football, or too many games, for a college student athlete to handle.

Reaction Score

Was wondering the same thing. I guess they would have to. No way they are moving that game.

Reaction Score
OK. What we are trying to do is create something special. Will UConn vs. UMass ever become one of these:

My guess is not. Obviously it is ridiculous to suggest it would. We are very short in the game of top level college football here. The majority of our history has been played against schools that have not made the jump.

The obvious candidates for us would be Rutgers, BC and UMass for a Thanksgiving Rivalry. Politics aside, it should be BC. There is a built in hatred. There are regional stakes. Recruiting battles.

The rivalry needs to be real and not the creation of athletic departments or broadcasters. There is an existing history here that should be exploited.

Would love Rutgers and BC on the schedule. Short distance to travel gives the students a chance at actually traveling to an away game.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Thanksgiving is for local high schools to play their traditional games

Husky25

Reaction Score

You forgot Oklahoma vs. Texas (Red River Shootout) and to a much smaller extent, Pitt vs. WVU (Backyard Brawl), but as you, me, and Scoot have said, rivalries are not manufactured, they are nurtured.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Thanksgiving is for local high schools to play their traditional games
Are you saying that you don't think college football should be played 50 hours later?

Reaction Score
Engineers. :)

Haha..I'd consider Mountain Hawk an upgrade.

upload_2014-1-7_15-14-24.jpeg

Reaction Score
That's my point on "rivalries" With the exception of some natural ones that go back 100 years, Harvard-Yale, Army Navy, Michigan-Ohio State, its really not possible to ordain them. BC-Clemson was supposed to be the ACC match up for the Eagles. Nobody much went for it. And we came from a conference that couldn't seem to figure out to take advantage of the ones that actually existed, in fact seem to go to great lengths sometimes to NOT schedule them for rivalry weekend. Rivalries develop on their own.

Lots of ways you can describe what "rivalry" is. For me, for it to exist, there needs to be two things - consistency in scheduling, and mutual fan interest. Yale Columbia games have been played every year that Yale Harvard games get played, but Yale Columbia isn't drawing 60k into the Yale Bowl of people that are Yale and Columbia fans. It's also a much different thing in the northeast, than something in the South. You can get huge 'rivalry' games in the south, where the entire 65,000+ stadium has fans for only one of the programs in the seats - vast majority. That kind of environment doesn't exist in northern football where things are closer together. Look at Army Navy - Harvard Yale - Michigan Ohio-State -etc. and you get arenas that are packed with fans from both sides.

UConn football had rivals for many, many years. The fan bases were small, northeastern based groups of 10k-15k people at most. We gave that level of football up to upgrade b/w 1997-2000, and we now have a 40,000 seat venue waiting to be expanded and are scheduling whoever we can regionally and nationally that fits what we are.

Because of the way things turned out for UCONN from 1997 through current, with the constantly changing conference membership every 2-3 years at most, come 2014...we simply do not have anything in football scheduling that can be even remotely be called a "rivalry", and what we have here with young student Drew, is a 21 year old kid that has recognized that is something that UCONN football doesn't have, and wants it.

Looking at the 2014 home schedule, off the top of my head, I don't think we've played a single program we have at home in 2014, more than 8 times EVER, I think Cincy and Temple qualify for the most games played, which isn't a lot for either, especially if you only consider post 2000 years, most of them are first or second time. We've had schedules each year since 1997, that are similar in such characteristics - programs with very little history between matchups, and that's 16 years and counting.

It is what it is - trying to manufacture such a thing as a UCONN football rivalry is foolish though. It's ok that we don't have it.

What we need to do, is simply go out and win. THen win more, and win some more after that. It's also been touched on that thanksgiving weekend in CT is a bad idea - I agree. Students aren't around, and for local high school football, whatever you think of it - thanksgiving is the most important time.

Filling our home stadium, and filling arenas on the road, any time, any weekend, is entirely about us- and winning. Embrace it. Love it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
...Because of the way things turned out for UCONN from 1997 through current, with the constantly changing conference membership every 2-3 years at most, come 2014...we simply do not have anything in football scheduling that can be even remotely be called a "rivalry", and what we have here with young student Drew, is a 21 year old kid that has recognized that is something that UCONN football doesn't have, and wants it.

Maybe Drew can steal the Minuteman...Alas, there is a real person in that costume. It's no longer a harmless prank. It's called kidnapping nowadays...

What we need to do, is simply go out and win. Then win more, and win some more after that. It's also been touched on that thanksgiving weekend in CT is a bad idea - I agree. Students aren't around, and for local high school football, whatever you think of it - thanksgiving is the most important time.

Filling our home stadium, and filling arenas on the road, any time, any weekend, is entirely about us- and winning. Embrace it. Love it.

Provided UConn does the former (win), the latter (fill the stadium) will not be an issue regardless of timing...even on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It's been mentioned by myself and others that student attendance was lacking that game this year due to 1) product on the field (2 1-9 teams), 2) Weather (19 degrees w/wind), 3) Timing. Fix 1), hope for better 2), and 3) becomes a non-issue.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
And I complained about the new Husky...
You'd be surprised how many folks were upset at dropping Engineers in favor of Mountain Hawks. I was there from 96-98 before smartening up and finishing at UConn.

Reaction Score
You'd be surprised how many folks were upset at dropping Engineers in favor of Mountain Hawks. I was there from 96-98 before smartening up and finishing at UConn.

Very true. Not to mention the fact that there is no such thing as a Mountain Hawk...

And yes, UCONN would have been much better on my wallet. Sallie Mae would beg to differ.

Reaction Score
While I would love to see an annual game with a P5 opponent late in the year it's unlikely to happen.

The Big 10 has already gone to a 9 game league schedule and the Big 12 has a 9 team round robin format. Given the upcoming SEC Network and the dollars that ESPN is paying the ACC I would guess that for inventory purposes they will be going to a 9 game schedule as well.

The reality is that there will probably not be any P5 teams available to play on an annual basis after September/beginning of October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom