Who's the bigger key to our success this year: Facey or Vital? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's the bigger key to our success this year: Facey or Vital?

Bigger key to our success this season?

• Kentan Facey

Votes: 96 90.6%
  • Christian Vital

Votes: 10 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to play devils advocate and say Vital is/could be more important because he is insurance handling the ball even if it ends up only playing Sam Casell's minutes for the season. Facey's rebounding, shot blocking, and scoring could be provided by Diarra and Durham or even Larrier or Jackson in a different way. However, we know Rodney is not a ball handler and that means we are just 1 turned ankle, tweaked shoulder, or flu illness away from Vital being the 2nd needed ball handler on the team if Jalen or Alterique can't go. And what if it is a key resume game. I'll take a back up to Jalen and Alterique as more important because the ball is in that person's hands for better or worse. Just food for thought on a slow day.
Agreed, I always have flashback nightmares to the 2006 team. Everyone thought we were a juggernaut and would win the title. I never really bought in because we only had two guys on the team who could handle the ball, Marcus Williams and Austrie. It won't be as dire this season because Adams and Alterique are both really good at handling the rock and Purvis while not his strength can help out a little. As you point out, an injury to one of them and we become dangerously weak at handling the ball and Vital's role becomes more vital.

Reaction Score
Not a reply to you personally, but every year you see the conventional wisdom "weak rebounding "claims . I find it to be an overrated concern considering we are 2 years off of winning a NC with a 6 foot PG and a Beanpole misplaced 3 man playing stretch 4, tied for team rebounding lead on that team.

For me rebounding is the type of thing where you put your best team on the floor and find a way to get it done. There are very few NCAA teams annually that will make you pay for that strategy. Once in a great while someone will. But not often.

I sort of agree, but Bazz averaged 6 rebs a game that year, that's more the exception than the rule for a pg. Jalen is a better athlete, but not sure his awareness is where shabazz's was. He's still only a sophomore, sure. But the concerns are reasonable, especially come tourney time.

Reaction Score
If we're assuming that everybody is healthy, the answer is Facey. If Adams or Alterique go down, we're going to hope Vital is further along than we thought or be in trouble.

Reaction Score
you think we would do a lineup of JA, AG, RP, TL and AB/KF? that's a super weak rebounding lineup unless the guards and wings really step up.
Yes, my guess is that will be our best lineup. It provides us with two point guards who can handle at all times and break down defenses getting into the lane opening things up for Purvis and Larrier on the outside. If the team gets out and runs like it should we will see rebounding from our guards and it would be by far our best offensive lineup. A Brimah Facey lineup will always scare me, having one black hole on offense is OK, having two is unacceptable except for small stretches.

Reaction Score
From what I've seen from Vital he's a very good on ball defender and plays with more heart than everyone on the court, I'd like to see him out there getting some minutes

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The results of your poll should make you feel dumb.

Reaction Score
The results of your poll should make you feel dumb.
Come on, he has successfully passed the Boneyard rite of passage, with flying colors.

If we were a gang David would receive his bandana as a certified member.

pj

Reaction Score
I'll be rooting for him, but so far, Facey has been a disappointment every year. Unless his basketball IQ and strength increase significantly, it's easy to see Larrier getting most of the minutes at the 4 and Diarra/Durham/Enoch (alongside Brimah) getting most of the rest.

Whereas Vital as the 3rd ballhandler could see 10-15 minutes a game including time late (when big men are subbed out for ballhandling and free throw shooting) and when Jalen/Alterique get in foul trouble.

I don't see the first year player being a big obstacle for him as guards usually adapt fast and Alterique is also a first year player.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
You're just still upset over the husky draft game
Well clearly there's been a mistake because I lost a draft game to someone who actually has to ask the question:

"Hey, is a senior big man on a team with a historically weak and flawed front court more important or a freshman 4th string guard??!?"

Reaction Score
Well clearly there's been a mistake because I lost a draft game to someone who actually has to ask the question:

"Hey, is a senior big man on a team with a historically weak and flawed front court more important or a freshman 4th string guard??!?"

I thought it would be an interesting debate. Most of the more convincing arguments have been in favor of Vital.

You shouldn't get upset over this.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I really think Facey will make the leap this year.

Reaction Score
This is not a knock on Vital but in a crowded backcourt he's number 4 but I fully expect him to be a factor.

But if Kentan can make the leap Waq is talking we're a better team. I'm not as confident but would love to see it.

Reaction Score
Christian will be a fan favorite....like i said previously he leaves a pound of flesh on the floor .....when he's on a streak he will shoot from 30 unabashedly....he will
dribble high ....in prep school he could get away with it....not so in big time basketball......facey is much more important this yeat.... he must rebound.......christian is on a mission....you will love him

Reaction Score
Easily Facey. He's by a mile the best rebounder on the team. Brimah and Larrier aren't the best rebounders so Facey will be relied on to scoop up the boards. I think he surprises us, plays 20-25 minutes a night, and averages 8 and 8.

Reaction Score
I think the success of UConn's 3 and 4 positions will be the difference for the team this year as to whether the team is fair, good or great. Our back court should be one of the team's strengths this year. I feel that Facey playing well at the 4 would be the bigger key to our success this year over Vital. However, there is something about Vital that I already love. I think he is going to outperform our expectations this year as a great defender with a lot of heart and get us some baskets when we need them. There just seems to be some intangible aspect to him that I think will make him a popular player for us as fans.

Reaction Score
I'm going to play devils advocate and say Vital is/could be more important because he is insurance handling the ball even if it ends up only playing Sam Casell's minutes for the season. Facey's rebounding, shot blocking, and scoring could be provided by Diarra and Durham or even Larrier or Jackson in a different way. However, we know Rodney is not a ball handler and that means we are just 1 turned ankle, tweaked shoulder, or flu illness away from Vital being the 2nd needed ball handler on the team if Jalen or Alterique can't go. And what if it is a key resume game. I'll take a back up to Jalen and Alterique as more important because the ball is in that person's hands for better or worse. Just food for thought on a slow day.

Absolutely. The answer is Vital, for the simple reason that we like to play 2 ballhandlers at a time and we only have 3 on the team. That's why he was such a crucial recruit.

I have high hopes for Facey this year, but that's a luxury not a requirement. We have a ton of options at the 4, especially if Durham plays.

Reaction Score
UConn always grooms their big men to get a ton of playing time their senior years. Now it is (finally) Facey's time. He will be better than people expect. The only way the answer to this poll is Vital is if one of Adams/Gilbert/Purvis gets a serious injury. In that case, he becomes vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom