Who's the bigger key to our success this year: Facey or Vital? | The Boneyard

Who's the bigger key to our success this year: Facey or Vital?

Bigger key to our success this season?

• Kentan Facey

Votes: 96 90.6%
  • Christian Vital

Votes: 10 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Between those two players, which one do you think is more critical to our success this year?

On the one hand Facey playing well (a la the Duke game in Dec 2014) means we can start two veteran bigs who will give us really good interior defense. We can bring Durham along a bit slower and we will have less rebounding issues than if we had to move Larrier to the 4.

On the other hand Vital playing as a solid ball handler and shooter off the bench means we have the depth to play Jalen and Alterique together more often. We can play Rodney and Larrier on the wings but might have some rebounding troubles.

Obviously we want both to exceed expectations, but whose play do you think will be a greater determinant of our success this season?

Reaction Score
It is definitely Facey. Plays a position where he is the only upperclassman (if you consider him a 4). Should hopefully provide a skill, rebounding, where we will be deficient.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Facey. Not even up for discussion. Only experienced 4-man on the roster.

Reaction Score
Between those two players, which one do you think is more critical to our success this year?

On the one hand Facey playing well (a la the Duke game in Dec 2014) means we can start two veteran bigs who will give us really good interior defense. We can bring Durham along a bit slower and we will have less rebounding issues than if we had to move Larrier to the 4.

On the other hand Vital playing as a solid ball handler and shooter off the bench means we have the depth to play Jalen and Alterique together more often. We can play Rodney and Larrier on the wings but might have some rebounding troubles.

Obviously we want both to exceed expectations, but whose play do you think will be a greater determinant of our success this season?

Rodney and Larrier won't see much floor time together unless Jalen or Alterique is also off the the court. Rebounding would be too scarce, but man that fast break would be looking great.

Reaction Score
Too short-sighted a topic. We have much bigger, long-term considerations to deal with and which should be the focus of this season.

Priority 1: getting Bunky on contract

Reaction Score
I imagine you are in the minority with this thought.

you think we would do a lineup of JA, AG, RP, TL and AB/KF? that's a super weak rebounding lineup unless the guards and wings really step up.

Reaction Score
Agree.. basically guard slated to get fourth most backcourt minutes versus big likely to get second most after Amida. Kentan should be the team's leading rebounder if he plays up to his potential-

Reaction Score
you think we would do a lineup of JA, AG, RP, TL and AB/KF? that's a super weak rebounding lineup unless the guards and wings really step up.

Yes, especially if Terry is as good as he was described to be this summer.

Reaction Score

can't believe you're still on this "Larrier is too small to play the 4" grip

Reaction Score
Yes, especially if Terry is as good as he was described to be this summer.

Sure, but Larrier still doesn't look like a wing who will get much more than 4-5 rebs a game. If we can defend the perimeter, which TL should do fairly well, it might be moot.

Reaction Score
What do you mean? Is this like my "thing" on the yard?

honestly I probably got you confused with someone else, my bad. There are a bunch of yarders tho who seem to think he can't play there tho, not saying he will play there fulltime but if he's as good as we hope he is I can see that lineup getting plenty of run.

Reaction Score
honestly I probably got you confused with someone else, my bad. There are a bunch of yarders tho who seem to think he can't play there tho, not saying he will play there fulltime but if he's as good as we hope he is I can see that lineup getting plenty of run.

My view is that our optimal lineup would probably include him as well as AG and JA at guard, RP at the other wing and AB. I do think, however, that he may lack some of the prototypical bulk we see out of 4's and we already have a pretty lanky team. If he is better than i'm giving him credit for, i'll gladly eat some crow.

Reaction Score
Facey is the only answer. Vital has no college experience and will sit 98% of the season. Kind of a foolish question

Reaction Score
Facey is the only answer. Vital has no college experience and will sit 98% of the season. Kind of a foolish question
So you're saying Vital will play 4 minutes per game

Reaction Score
Ok.. 5 minutes. Comparing a senior to a freshman who is not named ray allen or kemba is odd.

If Vital plays 5 minutes a game then we don't have the depth to play Jalen and Alterique together.

Reaction Score
If Vital plays 5 minutes a game then we don't have the depth to play Jalen and Alterique together.

I was not talk a game but the season...just playing

Reaction Score
why not? i'm not following this.. why can't RP, JA & AG play a collective 85+ minutes a game? Vital getting his 5 or so on top of that would mean half the game with a three-guard lineup too..

Reaction Score
I'm going to play devils advocate and say Vital is/could be more important because he is insurance handling the ball even if it ends up only playing Sam Casell's minutes for the season. Facey's rebounding, shot blocking, and scoring could be provided by Diarra and Durham or even Larrier or Jackson in a different way. However, we know Rodney is not a ball handler and that means we are just 1 turned ankle, tweaked shoulder, or flu illness away from Vital being the 2nd needed ball handler on the team if Jalen or Alterique can't go. And what if it is a key resume game. I'll take a back up to Jalen and Alterique as more important because the ball is in that person's hands for better or worse. Just food for thought on a slow day.

Reaction Score
Vital will play about 8 minutes a game. He may earn more minutes if he plays top notch D but thats it. He is the 2nd guard off the bench. If one of the other guards gets hurt then he would be important as first guard off bench.

Facey will most likely start at the 4, he may not be starting by years end but he will start there, he has plenty of experience and is a good rebounder. Don't forget he started half the games his Soph year.

Even if we go three guard lineup we still don't need Vital we can sub in a wing and move Purvis to the 2 to give one of the other guards a break. He is important if an injury happens only.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Not a reply to you personally, but every year you see the conventional wisdom "weak rebounding "claims . I find it to be an overrated concern considering we are 2 years off of winning a NC with a 6 foot PG and a Beanpole misplaced 3 man playing stretch 4, tied for team rebounding lead on that team.

For me rebounding is the type of thing where you put your best team on the floor and find a way to get it done. There are very few NCAA teams annually that will make you pay for that strategy. Once in a great while someone will. But not often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom