Who will wear the "bull's eye" on their back this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will wear the "bull's eye" on their back this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and Pat had nothing to do with me wishing them well...
\
A true fan. I wasn't sad when UTn and Holly had issues--they had way too much talent to not be successful. Truthfully, I hoped UTn would dump Holly. After the successes of Pat, Holly was a disappointment to WBB world. So color me bad.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame, Louisville, and South Carolina have been ranked ahead of UConn with Baylor ranked 5th in the way too early preseason rankings for 2016-2017. With Geno, CD, Shea and Marissa UConn is always in the running. For this young group not being the favorite has its advantages - less scrutiny. No one expects them to win this year with the loss of Breanna, Moriah and Morgan. Flying under the radar.

Reaction Score
This season is one in which after a long time UConn is exerting without the best player in the country or even the best player in any position. So, making the final 4 will be an mazing achievement and winning the title will be ridiculous.
IMO the clear front runners are ND, SC, Baylor and TX with Louisville, TN and UConn behind.
Come 2017/8 UConn jumps to the favorite position again.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This season is one in which after a long time UConn is exerting without the best player in the country or even the best player in any position. So, making the final 4 will be an mazing achievement and winning the title will be ridiculous.
IMO the clear front runners are ND, SC, Baylor and TX with Louisville, TN and UConn behind.
Come 2017/8 UConn jumps to the favorite position again.
Hmmm - why are you so negative about Lou, Kia, and Gabby? :)

Reaction Score
"What will happen this year? I bet it'll be similar to 2011 where UCONN still fields a title worthy team even without a superstar. Notre Dame appears to have the best team on paper when you look at their talent and coaching staff. Baylor might have the deepest team, South Carolina may have the best individual player and the top front court next year, and Ohio State has a lot of really strong talent eligible to play this year, but there isn't a standout team that appears to be a heavy favorite like there usually is. It should be a very very exciting season."

The above from bbnut90 seems right on. Another important point y'all have made: UConn is the target until someone beats them. Because the toughest games are front-loaded, my first focus will be on seeing if the Huskies can top 90 wins. Oddly, if they can get through undefeated to the AAC games, they might have a spectacular season. Lastly, whatever happens this year isn't a harbinger of the future. Starting in 2017, UConn becomes an unquestioned juggernaut again. Will this year be a burp or a bravo? Quien sabe?

I thought Cocohusky's comment that you can respect Pat Summitt and wish her peace and still revile the Vols was also right on.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
UCONN... because it's UCONN. Currently the bourgeousie of WCBB.

No matter who leaves and who arrives, UCONN will always have a big if not the biggest target on their back. The huskies are currently on a ridiculous championship run and every team on your schedule is looking forward to ending it. Why do you think there was a rush to get on the schedule this year.. other coaches sense blood in the water (even if there is none) and they all want a piece.

Beating UCONN is still an incredible achievement because when you play the huskies you know you're playing the best regardless of who's on the roster. So I disagree, the huskies ARE NOT flying under the radar.. everyone on your schedule has that game circled and underlined.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Won't be one team with the Bulls Eye. ESPN and other Media Experts will talk about how Parity has finally come to WBB. Won't be saying in the beginning of the year that UConn is bad for the sport. They will be saying teams have finally caught up to UConn and may have passed them. Teams have best get to UConn next year as the following year UConn may once again have the dominant team when Stevens and Camara are eligible to play.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Any Duke player or any person with Duke WBB/Duke athletics that dares to question Joanne P. McCallie.

Wait, wrong answer... that is the answer to the question of what is in front of the bus.
Good one Camrn. you've inspired me to do a Carnac answer and question post.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Any Duke player or any person with Duke WBB/Duke athletics that dares to question Joanne P. McCallie.

Wait, wrong answer... that is the answer to the question of what is in front of the bus.
Good one Camrn. you've inspired me to do a Carnac answer and question post.regarding Tom Brady

Reaction Score
Katie Lou, Kia, Gabby, Napheesa, Natalie, Crystal, Kyla and Molly. That's eight, which is right for this team. Saniya makes nine if she's healthy. UConn usually doesn't even play nine, at least not lately.

Carnac

Reaction Score
"What will happen this year? I bet it'll be similar to 2011 where UCONN still fields a title worthy team even without a superstar. Notre Dame appears to have the best team on paper when you look at their talent and coaching staff. Baylor might have the deepest team, South Carolina may have the best individual player and the top front court next year, and Ohio State has a lot of really strong talent eligible to play this year, but there isn't a standout team that appears to be a heavy favorite like there usually is. It should be a very very exciting season."

The above from bbnut90 seems right on. Another important point y'all have made: UConn is the target until someone beats them. Because the toughest games are front-loaded, my first focus will be on seeing if the Huskies can top 90 wins. Oddly, if they can get through undefeated to the AAC games, they might have a spectacular season. Lastly, whatever happens this year isn't a harbinger of the future. Starting in 2017, UConn becomes an unquestioned juggernaut again. Will this year be a burp or a bravo? Quien sabe?

I thought Cocohusky's comment that you can respect Pat Summitt and wish her peace and still revile the Vols was also right on.
Touche'

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Nor did she have anything to do with me (a fan) wishing they'd fail... glad we all understand each other.
you're entitled to feel that way... as am I.

I hope Tenn, ND, SCar and UConn do well this season

BTW I wasn't trying to understand you, really don't care how you feel about Tn. I respect your feelings/opinion tho. I'd never question your view

Reaction Score
This year UCONN will take its lumps with one of the most difficult out of conference schedules if not the most difficult in their glorious history. This does not mean that UCONN will drop like a brick since they still be a great team. They still should be high top ten if not top five. The 2017-18 year makes me smile because UCONN once again will be the heavy favorite to win it all.

Reaction Score
I see N.D. or S.C winning it this year. S.C. might take some time to get adjusted with all their transfers. But if Dawn can coach them up they have all the tools to peak right at tournament time. Also i think UCLA is a team to look out for. They wont win it all. But they should be a top 10 team this coming year. If i had to choose id say S.C. wins it all and my Irish end up losing in the title game yet once again.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This year UCONN will take its lumps with one of the most difficult out of conference schedules if not the most difficult in their glorious history. This does not mean that UCONN will drop like a brick since they still be a great team. They still should be high top ten if not top five. The 2017-18 year makes me smile because UCONN once again will be the heavy favorite to win it all.

Not to hijack the thread--but 2018 should be a very interesting year. I think Notre Dame and Connecticut will be the cream of the crop, with South Carolina, Ohio State, Texas, and potentially Baylor in that next tier.

Notre Dame and Connecticut will have the best combination of coaching, star power (Turner/Stevens) and overall depth and talent. Regardless of what happens with the 2017 class, both teams project to have really solid players in all 5 starting spots. A big factor will be where the likes of Walker and Westbrook end up. If either player goes to Connecticut or Notre Dame, she could tip the odds in her teams favor.

Unlike recent seasons, the next tier of teams shouldn't be all that far behind Notre Dame or Connecticut. South Carolina will have A'ja Wilson as a senior alongside Gray and Davis. Ohio State will have Mitchell/Mavunga and the other transfers will be eligible. Texas will have a stacked roster and is in the mix for Walker. Baylor will also have a great frontcourt with Cox/Mompremier/Brown. Not to mention other sleeper programs out there could emerge (ala Washington/Cuse/Oregon State) and a team like Tennessee could field a strong team depending on if Deshields returns.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that with Jones at the point and with the added versatility of Cox that Baylor will be a much better team this season. Jones will provide passing, defense, and scoring from the PG position, which Baylor sorely lacked last season. Wallace is going to be REALLY good on the wing. She can handle the ball and has a very nice shot, almost textbook perfect form. And if Chou can offer outside shooting like we expect, we will be a much better offensive team. Prince will also be a senior and if she stays healthy should have a tremendous season. Brown and Mompremier now know what it takes to compete at this level and will surely make the sophomore leap. Also add top 20 "Juicy" Landrum, who adds athleticism and three point shooting from the guard position. Not saying that Baylor is THE team to beat, but we will be A team to beat. Oh yeah, and we still have Nina Davis. And I didn't even mention Cave, at 6-3, and Cohen, at 6-2, both of whom could start for most teams.

This is going to be the deepest team in the country and Mulkey's biggest worry may be how to distribute minutes. There really is no weakness I can see.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I've read every response to my query of which team YOU think will be THE team to beat this up coming season. Some of you have some very interesting opinions. This question spurred some lively debates as intended.

Losing is not something we like to think about, but there are few if any that think UConn will go undefeated again this year. Many posters have suggested somewhere between 2-4 games. I'm predicting no more than two. Somehow, UConn's resolve is always strengthened and magnified after al loss. When was the last time the UConn women lost two games in a row?

Last question: Looking at the non-conference schedule for 2016-2017 below, Which team will be the first to beat UConn, and end their current win streak? Please support your opinion/theory as to why this team will win, and why UConn will falter, or not be able to overcome this opponents offensive assault/defensive schemes. Will UConn's first loss come at home, or on the road?

Nov 14 - @ Florida State
Nov 17 - Baylor
Nov 20 - LSU
Nov 22 - Dayton
Nov 29 - Chattanooga
Dec 1 - DePaul
Dec 4 - Texas (Jimmy V Classic in Uncasville)
Dec 7 - @ Notre Dame
Dec 11 - @ Kansas State
Dec 19 - Ohio State
Dec 21 - @Nebraska
Dec 29 - @ Maryland
Feb 13 - South Carolina

Below: Charlie Cream's takes/rankings on the upcoming 2016-2017 season.
Cream: "The season that the rest of women's basketball has waited for will finally arrive. The reign of Connecticut, at least as the dominant, immovable force in the game, is over. The 2016-17 season looks to be as wide open as any season in more than a decade (even in 2011, when Texas A&M and Notre Dame met for the championship, UConn and Baylor entered the season as big favorites).
Certainly teams can change before next season tips off, with player transfers, coaching changes and injuries. But it's time to start looking ahead".

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15230529/notre-dame-fighting-irish-lead-way-way-too-early-2017 preseason-top-25-rankings

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not to hijack the thread--but 2018 should be a very interesting year. I think Notre Dame and Connecticut will be the cream of the crop, with South Carolina, Ohio State, Texas, and potentially Baylor in that next tier.

Notre Dame and Connecticut will have the best combination of coaching, star power (Turner/Stevens) and overall depth and talent. Regardless of what happens with the 2017 class, both teams project to have really solid players in all 5 starting spots. A big factor will be where the likes of Walker and Westbrook end up. If either player goes to Connecticut or Notre Dame, she could tip the odds in her teams favor.

Unlike recent seasons, the next tier of teams shouldn't be all that far behind Notre Dame or Connecticut. South Carolina will have A'ja Wilson as a senior alongside Gray and Davis. Ohio State will have Mitchell/Mavunga and the other transfers will be eligible. Texas will have a stacked roster and is in the mix for Walker. Baylor will also have a great frontcourt with Cox/Mompremier/Brown. Not to mention other sleeper programs out there could emerge (ala Washington/Cuse/Oregon State) and a team like Tennessee could field a strong team depending on if Deshields returns.

If Baylor can land a PG in 2017, look for them to be right in the mix. The post position will have juniors Brown and Mompremier, and Sophomore Cox. I have watched video of DiDi Richards and she is the real deal and is going to have an immediate impact. We will also have Cohen as a senior and she could start for most teams. And Baylor is still on the list of several other top guards so the 2016-17 will be ultra important in landing some of those players.

Baylor will be very deep again with at least 8 players who will be fighting for playing time: Brown, Mompremier, Cox, Cohen, Landrum, Richards, Wallace, Chou and hopefully a couple more freshmen (my hope is Morris or Ursin...or both).

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Last question: Looking at the non-conference schedule for 2016-2017 below, Which team will be the first to beat UConn, and end their current win streak? Please support your opinion/theory as to why this team will win, and why UConn will falter, or not be able to overcome this opponents offensive assault/defensive schemes. Will UConn's first loss come at home, or on the road?

Nov 14 - @ Florida State
Nov 17 - Baylor
Nov 20 - LSU
Nov 22 - Dayton
Nov 29 - Chattanooga
Dec 1 - DePaul
Dec 4 - Texas (Jimmy V Classic in Uncasville)
Dec 7 - @ Notre Dame
Dec 11 - @ Kansas State
Dec 19 - Ohio State
Dec 21 - @Nebraska
Dec 29 - @ Maryland
Feb 13 - South Carolina

All I have to say is wow.. that will be a hell of a schedule. I would be blown away if UCONN went through that gauntlet unblemished. I don't think it will happen though.

Nov 14 - @ Florida State WIN
Nov 17 - Baylor LOST
Nov 20 - LSU WIN
Nov 22 - Dayton WIN
Nov 29 - Chattanooga WIN
Dec 1 - DePaul WIN
Dec 4 - Texas (Jimmy V Classic in Uncasville) WIN
Dec 7 - @ Notre Dame LOST
Dec 11 - @ Kansas State WIN
Dec 19 - Ohio State TOSS UP
Dec 21 - @Nebraska WIN
Dec 29 - @ Maryland LOST
Feb 13 - South Carolina LOST

My analysis: I'll stick to the bigger games.

@Florida State: out of the gate will be tough for your relatively young team. The seminoles play an aggressive, almost SEC like brand of defense and they have Shakayla Thomas (who I still wishes came to SC), who takes a leap in her game every year. She's been working on an outside game, so be prepared for that. I still like UCONN here..

Baylor: This will likely be UCONN's first loss. This Baylor team is gargantuan.. and that front court of Brown and Mompremier will more than likely present all kinds of havoc for UCONN. Sure, some of you will say "big front courts never bothered us in the past"... well back then you had Stewart and Tuck, two phenomenal front court players in their own right. Who's going to stop them or even slow them down? Samuelson, eh? Butler, maybe. Collier, she'll definitely try. Gabby? Probably you're best bet. And that's not it.. when Brown and Mompremier get winded.. boom, Mulkey brings in the next wave of Cave and Lauren Cox. I haven't even mentioned All-American Nina Davis yet.. yeah, she's still there. The Baylor backcourt should be better as well, with Wallace and Jones... and Prince waiting on the wings. This team is stacked.

Texas: I think UCONN takes this. Texas is a talented team and they recruit well.. but a lot of those players have yet to really show what they're made of (cough, cough Ariel Atkins). If Texas finally decides to play up to the level of their talent then this could easily be a Longhorn win. Higgs and McCarty are two of my favorite guards in all of WCBB... but UCONN typically has the bodies to slow down elite guards (Nurse.. Nurse.. Nurse.. she's amazing). Texas is another tall team.. and I'm sure Joyner Holmes would love for this to be her coming out game.

@Notre Dame: I don't really think ND has a huge advantage over UCONN.. for one, they are very guard oriented. Turner will have to play a lot. This will be a game of guards and outside shooting.. if anybody takes over the post it will be UCONN (unless the Huskies have trouble defending dribble drives). This game is in South Bend and ND has a proven senior point guard... ND always moves the ball well and they will in this game. I can see ND's offense really getting in a groove this game.. but unless Turner decides to leave the paint, who's going to help Westbeld contain the outside/inside tandem of Samuelson and Collier? I still like Notre Dame here..

Ohio State: This is a home game for UCONN.. so I had a lot of trouble picking.. but for some reason I just think tOSU will be ready this year. Ohio State is another bigger team.. Mavunga, Hart and Cooper will provide a great front court.. but aside from just that, they've improved substantially at the guard position as well. Mitchell, who I'm sure is looking forward to "getting hers" versus UCONN, is still there.. but she's now complemented with Linnae Harper (being a former SEC player, I'm VERY familiar with her game, she's a tank) and Sierra Calhoun. Jensen Caretti is an instant impact freshmen guard that could present a matchup challenge for any team. In my heart, I picked tOSU to win.. but I'm really skeptical.. toss up.

@Maryland: This team presented a lot of challenges for UCONN last year. Well, in that span of time, they loss very little while UCONN loss A LOT.. Walker-Kimbrough and Jones are still there and they now have Ieshia Small. Maryland's guards are good and can score.. they'll continue to next year.. but Maryland also has great forwards that are strong and athletic but play like guards.. Fraser, Gillespie and Ellison. If Maryland decides to play big, those athletic forwards could be trouble with Jones inside, SWK on the wings and no Stewart or Tuck to effectively neutralize the attack.

South Carolina: This game comes later in the season.. when both teams should have an idea of who they are. Because I know my team and how they operate, I'm fairly confident that SC will take their lumps in the beginning.. but by the time this game rolls around they should be operating at an optimal level. If you're a husky fan, your biggest concern here should be neutralizing A'ja Wilson... at this point, I'm not convinced there's a player currently playing WCBB that can STOP her.. slow her down? Perhaps.. but shut her down? No. Stewart did a great job on Wilson last season.. but there were still times in the game where Wilson scored easily and used her body to bear down against Stewart. Wilson has the body and the strength that very few college players will be able to match up against, and last year Stewie was the only player that could. No Stewie to slow down A'ja? No Tuck to take Coates completely out of the game?.. and unlike previous years, SC's guard attack will not be a one woman show.. Cuevas, Davis, Gray and Cliney will provide a good scoring attack to open up the inside for Wilson and Coates.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If you check the Volnation board, the posters give the coaching staff a good measure of credit for the sub par season, though they came alive in the tournament.
If you go over to VolNation, though, do not forget to wear hip boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom