Who will wear the "bull's eye" on their back this year? | The Boneyard

Who will wear the "bull's eye" on their back this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn has worn the preverbal "bull's eye" on their backs the past four seasons, and rightly so. They were the elephant in the room. Now that UConn's BIG 3 have moved on, the talk around the water cooler is that this distinction left with them. Who will be the preseason #1 ranked team in the country? Who do you think has the best chance of surviving the challenges of this season's big boogie (formally called the UConn invitational)?

Question: Who do you think will be the team to beat for 2016-2017 and why?

Notre Dame, Baylor, South Carolina, UConn, Louisville, Maryland, Syracuse, Oregon State, Florida State, Ohio State, Texas, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Arizona State, Stanford or Mississippi State?, or a dark horse none of us see at this moment?

What say you?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN because in the words of Quentin Hillsman "They (UCONN) have forgotten how to loose". Other teams are still learning how to win. The remaining UCONN players are alpha females in their own right and anxious to prove that they can all ball out! The tradition continues and come May or June Geno will be showing our new president around the White House- he's been there enough!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think there are about few teams. That should be in the national title discussion. In no order Note Dame they ended last year, with a disappointing loss. I think they should still be one of the top teams. UConn even though they lost the three players. They will still be one of the top teams. Texas they have improved every year under Aston. I think the will again and be one of the top teams. South Carolina if they can be a little better on offense. They should be one of the top teams. Tennessee I think will have a bit more motivation. With the events of past couple of weeks. So far the Mercedes and Diamond are in better health than last year. So I think they will be one of the best teams.
Baylor still has one of the top coaches. A good class coming in. I think they will be one of the top teams.
Those teams in think right now. Will be the best teams.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Stewie, Mo, and Morgan might be gone but I think the four-time defending national champions will be the team everyone wants to topple and will be super-pleased if they can (and won't care that it's a "down" year personnel-wise for UConn), because: four-time defending national champs. Oh, and that fairly long winning streak.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stewie, Mo, and Morgan might be gone but I think the four-time defending national champions will be the team everyone wants to topple and will be super-pleased if they can (and won't care that it's a "down" year personnel-wise for UConn), because: four-time defending national champs. Oh, and that fairly long winning streak.

Wally East - We know everyone on UConn's schedule this season is taking a number to be the first team to beat the Huskies. Who has the winning number? Who stops UConn's winning streak this season? :eek:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think there are about few teams. That should be in the national title discussion. In no order Note Dame they ended last year, with a disappointing loss. I think they should still be one of the top teams. UConn even though they lost the three players. They will still be one of the top teams. Texas they have improved every year under Aston. I think the will again and be one of the top teams. South Carolina if they can be a little better on offense. They should be one of the top teams. Tennessee I think will have a bit more motivation. With the events of past couple of weeks. So far the Mercedes and Diamond are in better health than last year. So I think they will be one of the best teams.
Baylor still has one of the top coaches. A good class coming in. I think they will be one of the top teams.
Those teams in think right now. Will be the best teams.
I was disappointed in the Lady Vols last season... very disappointed

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Everyone will be gunning for UCONN harder than they have the last 3 years. The last three years there was little to no doubt that Connecticut would waltz to a championship, and many times teams played incredibly intimidated and lost the game before it even began. This year everyone in the top 25 will believe they have a chance to hang with and upset the Huskies now that the seniors are gone.

The only years I can think of where there wasn't an obvious front runner in the last ~20 years are 2003, 2005 and 2011. All were years where UCONN was coming off a title and UCONN lost a ton of talent.

2003 was similar to this upcoming year in that UCONN graduated a great senior class and the rest of the top programs all returned their best players. Duke and Tennessee looked extremely formidable, and Beard had all the hoopla of being the next big star in women's basketball. How did it pan out? Another dominant year for the big dogs of Tennessee, Connecticut and Duke with a UCONN repeat. But 2003 had Taurasi, 2017 UCONN doesn't.

2005 was a weird year because the 2004 graduating senior class was amazing, and the incoming freshman class made up one of the best collections for freshman we've ever seen in a season. Fast forward to day, and besides UCONN's seniors, the 2016 senior class was incredibly weak and there isn't a ton of hype regarding the incoming freshmen. UCONN was in a somewhat similar spot to how they are in 2017 in that they lost significant talent that won't be replaced, but have potential stars waiting in the wings (Turner/Strother in 2005 and KLS/Nurse in 2017) and both teams bring in some nice kids with potential to contribute. In 2005, Strother and Turner didn't pan out as stars, Houston didn't emerge as a star freshman and other teams have stronger rosters and played better basketball. LSU was a newcomer on the block but emerged as the early favorite and Tennessee joined them as the other big favorite going into the NCAA tournament until both were upset in the Final Four.

2011 was a really incredible year looking back. UCONN was decimated by graduation/injury/transfer but had the best player in WCBB and still emerged as the title favorite. That year you had 3 other really dominant teams who all posed major threats for the title in Stanford, Baylor led by sophomore Griner and freshman Sims, and to a lesser extent Tennessee who had a really good team that year. Most felt UCONN had a great shot to win a 3rd straight with Maya Moore leading the charge, but it wasn't a slam dunk and would be a much more difficult feat. Notre Dame and A&M were not really on anyone's radar as title threats, although Diggins and Adams were good players in their own right. The tournament went as planned until the Elite 8 and Final Four, when both of those teams went on to pull off huge upsets. ND beats Tennessee for the 1st time in program history, and stops Connecticut who has won 114 of their last 115. I believe the are only team to ever beat Tennessee and Connecticut in the same tournament. As impressive, A&M stops Baylor after losing to Baylor three times earlier that year, and pulls off a miraculous comeback over a LOADED Stanford squad that appeared to be a major title threat. Replay that tournament 10 times and you could have 5 or 6 different winners.

What will happen this year? I bet it'll be similar to 2011 where UCONN still fields a title worthy team even without a superstar. Notre Dame appears to have the best team on paper when you look at their talent and coaching staff. Baylor might have the deepest team, South Carolina may have the best individual player and the top front court next year, and Ohio State has a lot of really strong talent eligible to play this year, but there isn't a standout team that appears to be a heavy favorite like there usually is. It should be a very very exciting season.

Reaction Score
We'll be good, but no NC IMO. It's time to pay now for that single recruit year. Had we picked up even one or two top 50 players with Saniya, Geno et. al. would have made them solid contributers by now. Nothing like senior leadership!
Possibly final four though.

Reaction Score
After the last 3 years it will be Uconn.The names have changed but not on the front of the shirt.If they dont do it this year.Forget about next year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Everyone will be gunning for UCONN harder than they have the last 3 years. The last three years there was little to no doubt that Connecticut would waltz to a championship, and many times teams played incredibly intimidated and lost the game before it even began. This year everyone in the top 25 will believe they have a chance to hang with and upset the Huskies now that the seniors are gone.

The only years I can think of where there wasn't an obvious front runner in the last ~20 years are 2003, 2005 and 2011. All were years where UCONN was coming off a title and UCONN lost a ton of talent.

2003 was similar to this upcoming year in that UCONN graduated a great senior class and the rest of the top programs all returned their best players. Duke and Tennessee looked extremely formidable, and Beard had all the hoopla of being the next big star in women's basketball. How did it pan out? Another dominant year for the big dogs of Tennessee, Connecticut and Duke with a UCONN repeat. But 2003 had Taurasi, 2017 UCONN doesn't.

2005 was a weird year because the 2004 graduating senior class was amazing, and the incoming freshman class made up one of the best collections for freshman we've ever seen in a season. Fast forward to day, and besides UCONN's seniors, the 2016 senior class was incredibly weak and there isn't a ton of hype regarding the incoming freshmen. UCONN was in a somewhat similar spot to how they are in 2017 in that they lost significant talent that won't be replaced, but have potential stars waiting in the wings (Turner/Strother in 2005 and KLS/Nurse in 2017) and both teams bring in some nice kids with potential to contribute. In 2005, Strother and Turner didn't pan out as stars, Houston didn't emerge as a star freshman and other teams have stronger rosters and played better basketball. LSU was a newcomer on the block but emerged as the early favorite and Tennessee joined them as the other big favorite going into the NCAA tournament until both were upset in the Final Four.

2011 was a really incredible year looking back. UCONN was decimated by graduation/injury/transfer but had the best player in WCBB and still emerged as the title favorite. That year you had 3 other really dominant teams who all posed major threats for the title in Stanford, Baylor led by sophomore Griner and freshman Sims, and to a lesser extent Tennessee who had a really good team that year. Most felt UCONN had a great shot to win a 3rd straight with Maya Moore leading the charge, but it wasn't a slam dunk and would be a much more difficult feat. Notre Dame and A&M were not really on anyone's radar as title threats, although Diggins and Adams were good players in their own right. The tournament went as planned until the Elite 8 and Final Four, when both of those teams went on to pull off huge upsets. ND beats Tennessee for the 1st time in program history, and stops Connecticut who has won 114 of their last 115. I believe the are only team to ever beat Tennessee and Connecticut in the same tournament. As impressive, A&M stops Baylor after losing to Baylor three times earlier that year, and pulls off a miraculous comeback over a LOADED Stanford squad that appeared to be a major title threat. Replay that tournament 10 times and you could have 5 or 6 different winners.

What will happen this year? I bet it'll be similar to 2011 where UCONN still fields a title worthy team even without a superstar. Notre Dame appears to have the best team on paper when you look at their talent and coaching staff. Baylor might have the deepest team, South Carolina may have the best individual player and the top front court next year, and Ohio State has a lot of really strong talent eligible to play this year, but there isn't a standout team that appears to be a heavy favorite like there usually is. It should be a very very exciting season.
Good synopsis. I agree this could/should be a pretty wide open year.

Of course besides UCONN winning last year, having 3 new teams in the FF made last year kind of "wide open". (just nobody noticed because it was still UCONN's coronation)

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
UConn has worn the preverbal "bull's eye" on their backs the past four seasons, and rightly so. They were the elephant in the room. Now that UConn's BIG 3 have moved on, the talk around the water cooler is that this distinction left with them. Who will be the preseason #1 ranked team in the country? Who do you think has the best chance of surviving the challenges of this season's big boogie (formally called the UConn invitational)?

Question: Who do you think will be the team to beat for 2016-2017 and why?

Notre Dame, Baylor, South Carolina, UConn, Louisville, Maryland, Syracuse, Oregon State, Florida State, Ohio State, Texas, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Arizona State, Stanford or Mississippi State?, or a dark horse none of us see at this moment?

What say you?

Reaction Score
Wally East - We know everyone on UConn's schedule this season is taking a number to be the first team to beat the Huskies. Who has the winning number? Who stops UConn's winning streak this season? :eek:

Interesting premise! Every top coach and lower coaches for that matter in WBB have been gleefully awaiting this year and the next 2 down years (the usual after Uconn win's 2 or 3 in a row, but Uconn reloaded). They all wanted to be the ones to kick Uconn around. They are looking forward to the 50 point wins against the Huskies!!!!!
I don't agree with many who think (rightly or wrongly) that Uconn will go into March without a loss.
But I don't think they shall be less than in the Final 4.
Baylor, if their talls are any good, will probably topple Uconn--and Mulkey in her plastic leather pants will dance for joy--Dawn could also have that opportunity.
But if there is a early season number one ---it will be Notre Dame.
Talent is wonderful--but masterful coaching and conditioning is hard to beat.

Reaction Score
Mrs Summitt died in a horrible way. Something decent people would not wish on their worst enemy!!! The school has had a great winning tradition. What has Uconn fans to gain in wishing U Tenn bad. Life if much much too short to not be accepting of one who will accept you.

Reaction Score
If you check the Volnation board, the posters give the coaching staff a good measure of credit for the sub par season, though they came alive in the tournament.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mrs Summitt died in a horrible way. Something decent people would not wish on their worst enemy!!! The school has had a great winning tradition. What has Uconn fans to gain in wishing U Tenn bad. Life if much much too short to not be accepting of one who will accept you.
It is possible to simultaneously have infinite empathy for Pat ( I do ) and take tremendous glee ( I did) in the dumpster fires that happened in of this last Lady Vols season. The dumpster fires were self inflicted by incompetence and should in no way be associated with Pat.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and Pat had nothing to do with me wishing them well...

Reaction Score
It is possible to simultaneously have infinite empathy for Pat ( I do ) and take tremendous glee ( I did) in the dumpster fires that happened in of this last Lady Vols season. The dumpster fires were self inflicted by incompetence and should in no way be associated with Pat.
Yes but the crash and burn of the Vols last year was prior to Pat dying. I enjoy when ND or Baylor or Dawn have problems getting to the final four. That's a whole different thing--it's called fan competition.
If the issues started with Pat and the then administration of Ut is gone shouldn't this end the issue for Uconn fans??
\My point is the Uconn/UT issues have to die at some point and wouldn't it be a perfect death of the ill feelings should Uconn play them and beat them significantly??? Then move on.
Ive seen way too many grudges held past someones death at the detriment of the living.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom