Who should win Emmy's | The Boneyard

Who should win Emmy's

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't watch that much television, but I find these discussions interesting. My picks:

Best Drama Series

I expect Game of Thrones to win, although Boardwalk Empire had a great season too.

Best Comedy Series

I am sick of Modern Family winning everything. It is still very good, but there are other good shows on TV. I have thought Shameless deserved a win for years. I am not even sure what category they would be in. I have heard good things about Arrested Development's return, although I didn't see it.

Best Actor, Drama:

Kevin Spacey will win this easily by all accounts, but I really like:

Mads Mikkelson, Hannibal - I like, don't love the show, but Mikkelson makes this show very interesting. This is really closer to Richard Harris' original Hannibel Lector than the one in the movies, and I like that the producers didn't get someone to do an Anthony Hopkins impression. This show would be an A instead of a B show if it was on Showtime or HBO. Mikkelson may be in the supporting actor slot, but he is really the star of this show.

I like Homeland, but I don't think Lewis deserves more than a nomination.

Best Actress, Drama:

I don't have one. I think Claire Danes was a little too over the top in Homeland.

Best Actor, Comedy:

William Macy, Shameless - The last season was simply an amazing performance by Macy. Frank Gallagher is not an easy role, and Macy doesn't sugarcoat it or go for schtick to get unwarranted sympathy, but you care just enough about the character to keep watching.

Honorable mention: Rainn Wilson, The Office. He has been carrying that show for years. One of the most difficult characters to play on television.

Best Actress, Comedy:

Emmy Rossum, Shameless - should have won it 2 years ago. The show is an oddball and the character is very difficult, and she nails it.

Strong category - Julia Louis-Dreyfus would actually deserve it this time if she won. Nurse Jackie is not my favorite, but I get why people like it and Edie Falco. I don't know where Jane Levy belongs, but she deserves a nomination.

Other randoms:

Charles Dance has been fantastic on Game of Thrones, and really deserved a nomination last year.

Jack Huston who plays Richard Harrow on Boardwalk Empire was simply incredible last year. Anyone who has fantasies about being an actor should watch 5 minutes of Huston acting with a mask on and a scrambled voice. He can tell you more about his character with a tilt of his head than most actors can with a 10 minute monologue.

Peter Dinklage was not at his best this past season. I also think Bobby Canavale overacts really badly. Neither of them deserve a nomination but both will probably get one. Girls does not deserve any nominations.

The overrated HBO movie Behind the Candalabra will win more awards than it deserves.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Shameless got shutout of the major categories. This has been one of the 5 best shows on TV for 3 years. I don't get it.

Canavale and Laura Dern eat scenery for every second they are on camera, and they both get nominations. Laura Dern is one of my least favorite actresses on TV, in part because everyone thinks she is great and in a bigger part because she really sucks.

Buscemi and Canavale are probably the two worst actors on Boardwalk Empire last year.

I thought Dinklage did not deserve a nomination this year. Year 1 he was awesome, but other than the Battle of Blackwater, his character hasn't had much to do for the last 2 seasons. I don't think he was one of the 5 best actors in his own show this year. Emelia Clarke is fine, but not as good as the actresses that play Arya or Caitlyn Stark. Diana Rigg has guest actress in the bag. Great part, great job by Rigg.

Behind the Candalabra got way more nominations than it deserved. It was a garden variety "big star acts like a " biopic. Other than two huge stars like Douglas and Damon doing the movie, and the fact that Liberace was gay and the extravagance makes for good television, there was nothing special about the story or the movie at all. Didn't suck, just wasn't that good.

The guy that played Quinn on Homeland was a great job that I had forgotten about. He crushed it last season. Well earned nomination.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have no idea who should win what - I haven't even heard of most of the shows you mention.

But, on Dinklage, I think that may be a function of what the Emmys are. You don't get nominated for a season of work, you're nominated for individual episodes. (Or something like that.)

Reaction Score
Agree with most of what you said. Totally agree on Jack Huston, his portrayal of Richard Harrow is astonishingly good. Haven't seen Shameless but have only heard good things and Williams Macy is always good. I like Canivale a lot in some of his roles but agree that he is too over the top on Boardwalk, I get the character is supposed to be over the top but his performance borders on the absurd a lot of the time. Justified is the best show on tv in my opinion and once again it gets zero recognition from the Academy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom