Who impressed you during the spring game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who impressed you during the spring game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Would love to redshirt Newsome and get him completely acclamated physically, then have him burst on to the scene killin it from day 1 in 2015...
i think they need playmakers on offense and special teams, i think Arkeel will get a firm look as the punt returner or kr this year.

Reaction Score
I don't know if you guys heard Diaco's comments in the presser after the game but it seemed like he wasn't really impressed with much... Said "we have a long way to go". Interesting to see who he names the starting QB against BYU.
coachspeak, what else can he say?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
All of the QBs had their moments. Being rotated out after a series doesn't do much to get a QB in rhythm. Cochran started stronger than he finished. Some of the "sacks" would have been escaped in real game situations, and on the other hand, the QB's knew they couldn't be tackled, so who can say if say, Boyle or Whitmer would be any more relaxed in the face of a real rush than they were last year. Same for the punter. Impressive, but no rush on him. Puyols showed plenty of leg even when off a little. Team speed looked decent. I though the LBs and dbacks looked generally good. DeLorenzo looked good. Using the big fullbacks in a single back set where they became the rb and used that way was pretty intriguing.

Reaction Score
I thought Noel Thomas and Kamal Abrams (except for one particular drop) performed well. I'm not sold on the o-line. The running game didn't seem to pick up any significant yardage until late. Also seemed to be a decent amount of sacks, perhaps not so noticeable since it was hands off the QB and the whistle was blown early. FB's Clax and Walsh both played well and I like getting Clax more involved in the running game - when he gets a head of steam going he's tough to bring down. The TE's performed well and I liked the increased usage of them in the pass game. Stewart seems very fast and physical, so it seems he's completely healthy. The punting game was solid. Puyol I guess was sick - his leg is strong but the accuracy was a little off on kicks. Boyle had the most solid day at QB for the afternoon. I also was impressed with Nick Vitale. A small guy but very quick and good hands.
y a running game that picks up late is a good sign for the o line. Means they are winning the trench battle.

Reaction Score
i think they need playmakers on offense and special teams, i think Arkeel will get a firm look as the punt returner or kr this year.

PR takes some time to adjust at this level, but Arkeel uses his vision and his blockers exceptionally well so I would be interested to see him at KR.

Reaction Score
PR takes some time to adjust at this level, but Arkeel uses his vision and his blockers exceptionally well so I would be interested to see him at KR.
I want to see Arkeel at RB. If he's the best he should start. We have to play the best players regardless of seniority.

Reaction Score
I want to see Arkeel at RB. If he's the best he should start. We have to play the best players regardless of seniority.

I think the most difficulty Newsome will have will be with pass blocking and assignments. Blitz recognition and protection adjustment is huge for Cochran's and UCONN's success. McCombs has gotten better at pass protection every year. Running backs can't be one dimensional ... let Newsome & McAllister learn the system and develop their techniques before throwing them in. I feel very confident with the way the backfield is taking shape ...

Reaction Score
I think the most difficulty Newsome will have will be with pass blocking and assignments. Blitz recognition and protection adjustment is huge for Cochran's and UCONN's success. McCombs has gotten better at pass protection every year. Running backs can't be one dimensional ... let Newsome & McAllister learn the system and develop their techniques before throwing them in. I feel very confident with the way the backfield is taking shape ...

I have heard and read a number of college coaches say that, if fast enough, RB, CB and WR skill sets are those most immediately adaptable to the 1A level. Supposedly, Newsome and McAllister are faster than recent RB's. I hope at least one of them can earn significant caries cause we didn't scare anyone with speed at RB.

Reaction Score
I have heard and read a number of college coaches say that, if fast enough, RB, CB and WR skill sets are those most immediately adaptable to the 1A level. Supposedly, Newsome and McAllister are faster than recent RB's. I hope at least one of them can earn significant caries cause we didn't scare anyone with speed at RB.

Joe Williams was very fast, and apparently also very dumb. Let's hope that we don't have the same combination again. I agree, that a fast RB can contribute early - but only in a balanced offense with lots of options - young RB's are terrible with picking up the speed of the game in blocking in 2nd and 3rd down situations.

Reaction Score
Joe Williams was very fast, and apparently also very dumb. Let's hope that we don't have the same combination again. I agree, that a fast RB can contribute early - but only in a balanced offense with lots of options - young RB's are terrible with picking up the speed of the game in blocking in 2nd and 3rd down situations.

Just another kid that PP didn't know how to use. Players had to adjust to PP and GDL. It's suppose to be the other way around.

Even worse was P constantly nailing weapons to the bench because he was comfortable other players.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Whitmer looked better than he has in the past but we've seen that before from him.

Overall wide receivers impressed me with the amount of depth there.

Tough to pick out any one player as we all know that the spring game has players who look great who never pan out. So I will hold off till the end of summer.

Reaction Score
Whitmer looked better than he has in the past but we've seen that before from him.

Overall wide receivers impressed me with the amount of depth there.

Tough to pick out any one player as we all know that the spring game has players who look great who never pan out. So I will hold off till the end of summer.

Don't be fooled by Whitmer in the red shirt. I was, once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom