Who impressed you during the spring game? | The Boneyard

Who impressed you during the spring game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sort of focusing on the new guys. Me first.

Learn to say Folorunso Fatukasi or just look for the #93. Very active against the run and pass. He is a load. Diaco mentioned McBride but I thought FF major disruptive force.

We have many good LBs. Welcome John Hicks to that group. I think he is almost certain to crack the two deep.

Newsflash, Thomas Lucas is very good. Big body that is very fluid at WR. He looks like a natural to me.

Loved the hands on TE Tommy Meyers. Not the fastest guy but he caught the ball away from his body (no drops) and was a willing blocker.

You can see the potential of Knappe at OT. Nice feet, not over matched. The question is can he make up for the two wasted years on D under PP?

Two guys from last year I think take a step up. Max DeLorenzo gets better and better. I watched Graham Steward over WRs from the LB spot. When his instincts catch up to his physical skill, watch out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good list. I'd add Josh Marriner to that mix...

BTW - Myers is fast enough that he qualified for States in the 100, 200 and 400 his senior year in HS I believe. Sneaky fast and strong as ox :)

Reaction Score
Good list. I'd add Josh Marriner to that mix...

BTW - Myers is fast enough that he qualified for States in the 100, 200 and 400 his senior year in HS I believe. Sneaky fast and strong as ox :)

He should run some Rob gronkowski seam routes. Size and speed to do it.

Reaction Score
Like what you guys are saying about Meyers. Not the pass catching part, the blocking part. We need a tight end you is willing to mix it up blocking. We got zero blocking from the position last year.Maybe Quinn Thompson and Meyers will step up. Would be huge.

Reaction Score
Noel Thomas. Thought they were calling him Mo Thomas over the PA, but then I realized they were pronouncing his No-Ol, I pronounce mine No-Well. Decent size speed ratio. Liked Knappe as well. Quick feet. Levy is B1G. On the Dline I liked 95, was that Kenton? Showed good speed flushing the QB out of the pocket on two occassions and looks stronger than last year. Graham Stewart had some nice hits and looked better than in any regular season game he played last year. Was really finishing his tackles yesterday.

Reaction Score
I agree with Stewart, Thomas, Lucas, Knappe. Jammar Summers looked good for a kid playing high school last fall. I thought Boyle looked the best of the QBs followed by Whitmer. Overall I think its very encouraging. Fatukasi was the most impressive

Reaction Score
Casey appears to be much better in games than in these scrimages, but he dropped in a pretty throw in the bucket to Phillips who dropped it as he was a tackled out of bounds. It was over the LB, in front of the DB and absolute pro throw. What seperates him from the other two is his touch. Even yesterday I felt all of Boyles throws had too many rpms. He needs to learn to take something off some of his passes.

Reaction Score
My boy Tommy Myers looked great. Good blocking TE that can catch and get YAC. Fantastic athlete-All state hoops(averaged over 20 rpg in 2012) and track (went to the Penn Relays). He's added a lot of weight since high school though- hopefully he doesn't lose too much quickness. Also, if Puyol doesn't get it together he kicked FGs for Coventry High:D

Max and Lyle both had nice long runs.

DLine got really nice penetration.

Reaction Score
Strength wise Marriner reminds me of T Caulley.

That TD run he had sure did! We are going to be loaded at this position with McCombs, DeLorenzo, Marriner, Newsome & Ron Johnson. Talk about stacked. Our skill positions on O are loaded as is tight end with both Thompson (clear #1) and Meyers! Our O should be dominant.

Reaction Score
I thought Noel Thomas and Kamal Abrams (except for one particular drop) performed well. I'm not sold on the o-line. The running game didn't seem to pick up any significant yardage until late. Also seemed to be a decent amount of sacks, perhaps not so noticeable since it was hands off the QB and the whistle was blown early. FB's Clax and Walsh both played well and I like getting Clax more involved in the running game - when he gets a head of steam going he's tough to bring down. The TE's performed well and I liked the increased usage of them in the pass game. Stewart seems very fast and physical, so it seems he's completely healthy. The punting game was solid. Puyol I guess was sick - his leg is strong but the accuracy was a little off on kicks. Boyle had the most solid day at QB for the afternoon. I also was impressed with Nick Vitale. A small guy but very quick and good hands.

Reaction Score
Richard Levey (lt) and Quinn Thompson (te), IMO have made the biggest strides...

Reaction Score
Also - as I mentioned in other threads - Lucas and Noel Thomas (2nd straight year) stood out big time.

Reaction Score
I watched Levy a lot. I think he may be the most important piece to this year's success or failures. I thought he held up relatively well. Got beat a few times but that's to be expected for his experience level.

The most encouraging thing that I saw from the OL as a unit was that they actually looked like they knew who to block. I didn't see anyone standing in space looking for someone to hit. That is progress.

Reaction Score
Richard Levey (lt) and Quinn Thompson (te), IMO have made the biggest strides...
Thompson dropped two passes and bobbled another. It might have been nerves but I would hate to have to depend on those hands. That is highly problematic.

Reaction Score
I thought Tim Boyle looked the best out of all the QB's. Cochran looked nothing like he did last year, but he did have some drops. I like that Whitmer tucked and ran it a couple times. I don't know much about Ecke, but looks like he can throw well and he's got some speed to run it. I'd like to see him take a few more snaps to see what he brings to the table.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Marriner ran hard. I like backs who finish their runs, ala Donald Brown. Always got an extra yard or two by taking on DBs. I think Marriner can do that.

Reaction Score
Marriner, Clax both ready to contribute at RB. Hopefully Newsome can do some return work but we don't need to push him unless he's ready.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I don't know if you guys heard Diaco's comments in the presser after the game but it seemed like he wasn't really impressed with much... Said "we have a long way to go". Interesting to see who he names the starting QB against BYU.

Reaction Score
I don't know if you guys heard Diaco's comments in the presser after the game but it seemed like he wasn't really impressed with much... Said "we have a long way to go". Interesting to see who he names the starting QB against BYU.

What I took away from all his post game comments was that they have made good progress but they are not a finished product... (sure wouldn't expect them to be after just the Spring)

Reaction Score
What I took away from all his post game comments was that they have made good progress but they are not a finished product... (sure wouldn't expect them to be after just the Spring)

I thought the same thing. At least to me, they seemed to be a lot better than I expected them to be. Defense looked back to form and offense seemed to be able to move the ball relatively well. The only thing I saw that was a bit discouraging was running between the tackles was a bit weak in my opinion. They got a couple nice runs, but other than it seemed everything was one yard or no gain.

Reaction Score
That TD run he had sure did! We are going to be loaded at this position with McCombs, DeLorenzo, Marriner, Newsome & Ron Johnson. Talk about stacked. Our skill positions on O are loaded as is tight end with both Thompson (clear #1) and Meyers! Our O should be dominant.

I agree, this offense should be one of the better offenses in the AAC. I hope we haven't completely abandoned the shotgun spread that worked so well at the end of last year. (no shotgun during spring game)

Reaction Score
Marriner, Clax both ready to contribute at RB. Hopefully Newsome can do some return work but we don't need to push him unless he's ready.
Would love to redshirt Newsome and get him completely acclamated physically, then have him burst on to the scene killin it from day 1 in 2015...

Reaction Score
Marriner ran hard. I like backs who finish their runs, ala Donald Brown. Always got an extra yard or two by taking on DBs. I think Marriner can do that.

LOVE this kid... He was highly regarding coming out of HS too... broke a ton of records... Can't wait to see how he performs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom