Who Did Vote Yes For Tulane? | The Boneyard

Who Did Vote Yes For Tulane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All we've heard are comments from various AD's or through sources about how pissed off everyone was about Tulane and how the vote had to be pushed through three times. Who exactly voted yes? The basketball schools all hated them, UConn and UL apparently had to have their hands wrung.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Success has many fathers, while failure is an orphan.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The basketball schools did. I'm convinced of it.

Now, if the football conference falls apart (which it may very well do), they get their share of the NCAA credits, exit fees, and don't have to pay exit fees of their own. Even though they are leaving. That was an exceptionally smart play by the basketball schools. Exceptionally smart. And if UConn and Cincy do what they may have to do, which is to form their own league and vote to disband the current version of the BE (see below), that's exactly what's going to happen...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...st-leaving-conference-realignment-connecticut

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Now, if the football conference falls apart (which it may very well do), they get their share of the NCAA credits, exit fees, and don't have to pay exit fees of their own. Even though they are leaving. That was an exceptionally smart play by the basketball schools. Exceptionally smart. And if UConn and Cincy do what they may have to do, which is to form their own league and vote to disband the current version of the BE (see below), that's exactly what's going to happen...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...st-leaving-conference-realignment-connecticut
If Cinci, USF and UConn take that action before the Catholics vote to dissolve the conference they split things seven ways instead of ten ways. The only problem with that reasoning is that the three football schools can make claims that the Catholic schools public declarations scared the invitees and could claim damages. The problem for the football schools is to prove the public comments were official and not leaks by so called unauthorized individuals.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering the same thing... if the Basketball schools were besides themselves about Tulane, and the football schools weren't impressed (to the point of Tulane's exclusion in the theoretical new league being considered); how in the heck did they get in? Was Aresco given the power to single-handedly extend an offer?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If Cinci, USF and UConn take that action before the Catholics vote to dissolve the conference they split things seven ways instead of ten ways. The only problem with that reasoning is that the three football schools can make claims that the Catholic schools public declarations scared the invitees and could claim damages. The problem for the football schools is to prove the public comments were official and not leaks by so called unauthorized individuals.

The basketball schools are not concerned with splitting the money seven ways versus ten. In fact, they are resigned to splitting it ten ways. What they absolutely DON'T want is to have to split it SIXTEEN ways, when UCF, Memphis, Boise, SDSU, SMU, and Houston come on board. In fact, I read in another thread that they are calling for a vote soon (before July 1, 2013), in order to guarantee that they don't split it with the new members. Nice....

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The basketball schools are not concerned with splitting the money seven ways versus ten. In fact, they are resigned to splitting it ten ways. What they absolutely DON'T want is to have to split it SIXTEEN ways, when UCF, Memphis, Boise, SDSU, SMU, and Houston come on board. In fact, I read in another thread that they are calling for a vote soon (before July 1, 2013), in order to guarantee that they don't split it with the new members. Nice....
If they are going to leave it would be ridiculous to give monies to schools who were never in the conference. So I'm sympathetic to that. But there is one complication for the BE football schools. Time is not on their side. None of the schools invited will wait until June. So if the Catholics vote in June to dissolve who will be around to establish a league. And if the three try to find a landing spot in an established conference can scheduling be completed in such a short time. Until this week the assumption was the BE conference even in it's crappy state was a haven until further CR. But now that haven is not there or potentially not there and UConn could be forced to find shelter well before the vote and be penalized by being forced to pay an exit fee or forfeit the BE monies.

My hope is that those schools don't play that type of vendetta. But after the past couple of years I wouldn't put it past them to play dirty.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering the same thing... if the Basketball schools were besides themselves about Tulane, and the football schools weren't impressed (to the point of Tulane's exclusion in the theoretical new league being considered); how in the heck did they get in? Was Aresco given the power to single-handedly extend an offer?

That was my thought, that me was given some lateral to just make these decisions. Otherwise you'd think the NNBE is at a point where we really just need to add the best programs we can. Adding Tulane 5 years ago would have been one thing as every conference can handle a couple Dukes, but at this point, for the NNBE, performance on the field needs to be top priority. The NNBE isn't creating it's own network, and I can't see how adding Tulane isn't going to enhance our TV contract, so who cares what market it's in? It's not like NO is such a big market anyhow.

Reaction Score
All we've heard are comments from various AD's or through sources about how pissed off everyone was about Tulane and how the vote had to be pushed through three times. Who exactly voted yes? The basketball schools all hated them, UConn and UL apparently had to have their hands wrung.

I don't know who, but I heard it was unanimous:)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could well be mistaken but I thought there was something published a while ago (not long after Aresco was named commissioner) that Aresco was given full authority to improve (expand) the conference as he saw best.

If this is true, it is possible that he (and the small circle of people who he discusses strategy with) made the decision to add Tulane (as Rutgers' replacement) as soon as the opening became available, without needing to run it by the remaining members of the BE.

Reaction Score
If they are going to leave it would be ridiculous to give monies to schools who were never in the conference. So I'm sympathetic to that. But there is one complication for the BE football schools. Time is not on their side. None of the schools invited will wait until June. So if the Catholics vote in June to dissolve who will be around to establish a league. And if the three try to find a landing spot in an established conference can scheduling be completed in such a short time. Until this week the assumption was the BE conference even in it's crappy state was a haven until further CR. But now that haven is not there or potentially not there and UConn could be forced to find shelter well before the vote and be penalized by being forced to pay an exit fee or forfeit the BE monies.

My hope is that those schools don't play that type of vendetta. But after the past couple of years I wouldn't put it past them to play dirty.
Good questions...
Warde's been monitoring the situation...

What do you have Warde?

"Well, there's a new Dunkin Donuts coming to Mansfield with a drive thru window. Should be open by early spring... We should be all set."

Reaction Score
I could well be mistaken but I thought there was something published a while ago (not long after Aresco was named commissioner) that Aresco was given full authority to improve (expand) the conference as he saw best.

If this is true, it is possible that he (and the small circle of people who he discusses strategy with) made the decision to add Tulane (as Rutgers' replacement) as soon as the opening became available, without needing to run it by the remaining members of the BE.

I think Aresco could go out and find them, but I still think they need to be voted on. Now he may have been very persuasive in the vote meetings. Maybe free Huricanes for everyone :)

Reaction Score

Yes, I agree. The BB schools voted Tulane in. The only one who has been shooting his mouth off about Tulane is the Marquette AD.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's irrelevant. Marquette says they are gone

Adding New Mexico and UNLV might have pacified them and forcing Boise and SDsu into all sports and creating divisions. 12 teams plus the 4 best catholic program would be great. Kicking ECU, TULANE, PC, DEPAUL & SETON to the curb? The Arescos screwed this up completely

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's irrelevant. Marquette says they are gone

Adding New Mexico and UNLV might have pacified them and forcing Boise and SDsu into all sports and creating divisions. 12 teams plus the 4 best catholic program would be great. Kicking ECU, TULANE, PC, DEPAUL & SETON to the curb? The Arescos screwed this up completely

Pacified who??? If you are referring to the basketball schools, then you clearly don't get it. They want regional, they don't want national. The furthest they were willing to go was Marquette, because it is a fellow Catholic institution. They don't want New Mexico, they don't want UNLV, and hell, they may not even want Memphis! They want a primarily Catholic league from the Northeast and near Midwest (Marquette, DePaul, perhaps Xavier). They have been talking with each other about this very prospect for the last six months, as it's been reported, and this is what they desire.

No "national conference" was going to keep them!!!

RS9999X

Reaction Score
We'll see if they approach the Zaga and St Marys and create divisions. PC isn't driving the bus

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We'll see if they approach the Zaga and St Marys and create divisions. PC isn't driving the bus

Yes, we will see. But again, what do St. Mary's and Gonzaga have in common with the C-7? It's not a trick question; it's very easy to answer.

Once you've answered that, tell me again how New Mexico and UNLV would have saved the day. Would love to hear about it...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I doubt it. No need to go that far. Xavier, SLU, Creighton, Dayton all Catholic. Plus St Joes, Duquesne, LaSalle etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I doubt it. No need to go that far. Xavier, SLU, Creighton, Dayton all Catholic. Plus St Joes, Duquesne, LaSalle etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You are assuming they want all Catholic Schools. While cute in theory it's more likely they allow a few Heathens in the door if the little hellions have a track record like Butler

They've got 30 months to play around with this :)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are assuming they want all Catholic Schools. While cute in theory it's more likely they allow a few Heathens in the door if the little hellions have a track record like Butler

They've got 30 months to play around with this :)

It's a cute theory? Well, if it's a cute theory, it's one that they've concocted. They want "like-minded institutions", and most everyone knows that at this point. Does it mean that they would exclude a non-Catholic university from joining (i.e., Butler)? No. But you are kidding only yourself if you think that there is not a strong strong preference for another Catholic university...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom