Who are UConn's Top 5 Football Rivalries? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who are UConn's Top 5 Football Rivalries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Record has to count for something. We can hate each other all we want but no one is going to believe its a legit rival if BC has won an astounding amount of the times compared to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We played them 3 times since we moved up. We were competitive in 2 of those games. The hatred from both sides comes from essentially the same place.

From BCU's side.......by not playing us they can continue to hide behind the fallacy that they are a superior program.

From UConn's side.......we hate them because they hide behind said fallacy.

We would've destroyed them the last couple of years. And would destroy them this year as well. Deep down inside, they know it.

Reaction Score
Record has to count for something. We can hate each other all we want but no one is going to believe its a legit rival if BC has won an astounding amount of the times compared to us.

It's not astounding if the sample size is too small.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
We played them 3 times since we moved up. We were competitive in 2 of those games. The hatred from both sides comes from essentially the same place.

From BCU's side.......by not playing us they can continue to hide behind the fallacy that they are a superior program.

From UConn's side.......we hate them because they hide behind said fallacy.

We would've destroyed them the last couple of years. And would destroy them this year as well. Deep down inside, they know it.

I believe you.

I've got a story. My girlfriend thought that playing video games with me would be a great bonding experience. I'm thinking I have nothing to lose so I agree. I would absolutely destroy Alabama with UCONN. She picked them because they were number 1. Little did I know that she had been practicing and playing NCAA 2010 while I wasn't around and getting pretty good. Long story short, the very last game we played she was winning with about 2 mins left and I whipped out every cheap, automatic go to play that I know will gain a certain amount of yards and let the time run out. 10 seconds left, I run it in with Todman and the good guys won. She was pissed, because that had been the closest she had ever gotten to beating me, and hated the fact that I ran out the clock.

I haven't played her since.

Guy code.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

BS. Exhibit A - Marshall vs WVU. Marshall's never won. Ever.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
BS. Exhibit A - Marshall vs WVU. Marshall's never won. Ever.

A) They're in the same state. I think thats a completely different story. B) They've been playing each other for a lot longer than UCONN/BC. As someone stated, we've only played 3 games. They've won all 3. They left. Feelings got hurt and we haven't played them in almost a decade.

Reaction Score
A) They're in the same state. I think thats a completely different story. B) They've been playing each other for a lot longer than UCONN/BC. As someone stated, we've only played 3 games. They've won all 3. They left. Feelings got hurt and we haven't played them in almost a decade.

So, WVU-Marshall is allowed to be a rivalry, although even more lopsided, because of proximity?

Distance from Morgantown to Huntington, WV -- 205 miles

Distance from Storrs to Chestnut Hill -- 80 Miles.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
So, WVU-Marshall is allowed to be a rivalry, although even more lopsided, because of proximity?

Distance from Morgantown to Huntington, WV -- 205 miles

Distance from Storrs to Chestnut Hill -- 80 Miles.

It's not the proximity, it's the fact that fans who grow up in WVU will root for one school and hate the other. Did people in CT grow up cheering for BC? BC along with Cuse were established football programs. However, I think it's an entirely different story when you're trying to compare schools in states with one FBS school to a state with multiple.

Does BC consider UCONN a rival? If not, then it's hard to buy a rivalry if one fanbase thinks there is one and the other doesn't.

Reaction Score
It's not the proximity, it's the fact that fans who grow up in WVU will root for one school and hate the other. Did people in CT grow up cheering for BC? BC along with Cuse were established football programs. However, I think it's an entirely different story when you're trying to compare schools in states with one FBS school to a state with multiple.

Does BC consider UCONN a rival? If not, then it's hard to buy a rivalry if one fanbase thinks there is one and the other doesn't.

BC fans hate UConn and UConn fans. Again, that's all that matters.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

WVU and Marshall have only played 12 times. 4 of those 12 were <= 1923. It's much more similar than you think, but the key point is, NOBODY will accuse them of not being rivals.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
BC fans hate UConn and UConn fans. Again, that's all that matters.

No it doesn't. And I didn't ask that. We can agree to disagree though.

Reaction Score
Right now I think Rutgers is our top rival by quite a bit over Syracuse at number 2. After that it is anyone who is in our way for a Big East title which qualifies the rest of the league.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
WVU and Marshall have only played 12 times. 4 of those 12 were <= 1923. It's much more similar than you think, but the key point is, NOBODY will accuse them of not being rivals.

I wouldn't accuse them of not being rivals. Two FBS schools in the same state trumps records in my opinion.

Reaction Score
To me, you can't really have a rivalry unless you play each other regularly. Otherwise it is doesn't mean much. So I don't think BC even comes close to qualifying...same with UMass at this point. Back before our upgrade, sure, Yale, UMass, URI and New Hampshire were all more or less rivalry games I'd say. None of those would be today. I'd be hard pressed to come up with 5. I'd say more like 3 with Rutgers in the #1 spot and the others fighting for 2nd place. I'd put USF and Louisville as 2 and 2A. Syracuse would be there too but I don't think that will last any more. There were lots of overlaps between us and the Orange...coaches, they thought we would never be able to play with them, we beat them regularly...

Reaction Score
So some of you are saying that folks around here would NOT get more juiced about playing BC than they would about playing Rutgers? I can't believe that. We have a brand new AD and head football coach. BC got rid of their AD. Even if we don't end up in the ACC I'll bet we'll be playing BC one year and UMass the next as a continuing series within the next couple years.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So some of you are saying that folks around here would NOT get more juiced about playing BC than they would about playing Rutgers? I can't believe that.

So this is the key point for me, and the main reason why any list of UConn rivalries absolutely has to contain BC in it. Although I will say that the UConn-Rutgers rivalry is really starting to take off, still, one has to recognize the sheer hatred that each fanbase has for the other when it comes to UConn - BC. That is really what it takes to make a rival....not close games, close locations, or even same league, but hatred; the feeling that if you lose to "that team," that you would be sick to your stomach! Rutgers has it. Syracuse has it. BC DEFINITELY HAS IT!!! :mad:

Reaction Score
I just know our top four rivals are Rutgers, Syracuse, BC and UMass. No idea who #5 would be. Stevens Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom