Whitmer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No we didn't. No disrespect intended to NC State, but they are not a good team. They are simply better than us. Their defense is nothing special and their offense (minus a QB with a ton of potential) is just below average.

I disagree with this whole thing.

1) NCState is a very good team, and I expect that they will challenge for the ACC Championship this year (you can mark me down for having typed that).
2) They aren't better than us. 4 turnovers essentially gave them the game.
3) Their defense is pretty good.
4) Their offense is very good (big veteran offensive line and a very good QB). They just didn't look all that special because they played a superior D today. They still hung 21 on Tennessee after having turned the ball over 4 times last week.

Reaction Score

1) NCState is a very good team, and I expect that they will challenge for the ACC Championship this year (you can mark me down for having typed that).
4) Their offense is very good (big veteran offensive line and a very good QB). They just didn't look all that special because they played a superior D today. They still hung 21 on Tennessee after having turned the ball over 4 times last week.

Reaction Score
Lots of upside to Whitmer but agree the hype outraced the reality. The 4 picks he threw in his last JC game should have tempered the expectations

Reaction Score

Hate to break it to you, NC State is middle of the pack in the ACC, at best. They can't touch FSU. Va Tech, Ga Tech, UVa and UNC also better. BCU, Wake, MD, Dook are worse. They will be battling Miami for 6th place. Our D is very good but NC State is average.

Reaction Score
Whitmer didn't go through his progressions, he locked nto receivers, he missed receivers that were open in favor of trying to thread needles. The line didn't always give him time, but he could have thrown a few balls away that ended up being INT's.

Whitmer gets a F conidering this is a game that we should have won. I think the play calling didn't help him. The season is early, but I think the coaches need to either shorten his leash, or put in J Mac to help him think about how to manage a game better. The defense really put us in a position to win this game and the offense let the team down, it's a shame.

Reaction Score

I don't see that team competing for an ACC championship, but that's just me.

Reaction Score
Not sure how someone is an upgrade with 5 int's and no td's. He may be when all is said and done but so far he hasn't shown much.

Granted the OL is not helping but Mac got sacked what, 41 times last year?

Time will tell, as it always does, but it's time for me to put down the Whitmer kool aid until he proves himself.

Reaction Score
Same old UConn offense. Which is a terrible offense. Absolutely one of the worst in college football. Period.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Hate to break it to you, NC State is middle of the pack in the ACC, at best. They can't touch FSU. Va Tech, Ga Tech, UVa and UNC also better. BCU, Wake, MD, Dook are worse. They will be battling Miami for 6th place. Our D is very good but NC State is average.

I guess we'll see. I'll believe FSU when I see it, since I haven't seen it in a while. Va Tech has to be the favorite for me right now, but I fully expect NCState to be vying for the title...

pj

Reaction Score
I don't see that team competing for an ACC championship, but that's just me.

I don't think they're as good as Florida State or Clemson, but they're pretty good. They look worse than they are because they've played two pretty good teams.

I agree with both UConnDan97 and BigEastConf. We threw a winnable game away with a miserable offensive performance which is largely attributable to the coach's play calls and the QB's unwillingness to go to second-third options instead of double-covered receivers that he'd stared down.

But, the QB will develop - he's only in his second FBS game - and the coach ought to be able to ditch the plays that consistently don't work. We'll get to competence. Let's talk about changing personnel after the season.

Reaction Score
Tough game for Chandler but their defense was ready for us. Their DL was excellent and their DBs covered everything. I hated it when the "fans" booed him, does that really help anything?

The play of the game was that deep touchdown NCState had in the 3rd quarter. Wow what a play. The QB got crushed after he threw it and the WR caught it on his finger tips. That play should have been an incomplete. If so, we win the greatest defensive battle ever at the Rent.

If you want to feel better about today: Chandler will get better. Our Defense will get no worse. They were on the field a lot and they came up big every time.

Reaction Score
If you are consistently willing to use expressions like "if not for four turnovers we would have won" or "they scored 21 points despite three turnovers", you'll find that you frequently are very surprised when certain teams lose more than you think.

Good teams don't turn the ball over. It's that simple. If Whitmer insists on turning the ball over 2.5 times per game, we'll have to find someone different.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Longtime lurker, lost my other account's password and had to reregister.

Deleone deserves some blame, as does our terrible offensive line, but what can you really do when you actually give the QB time and he continuously forces passes?

I don't see the point in bringing in McCummings. I really don't. No one is fooled as to what is going to happen. If we are sticking with Whitmer, let the kid stay in and get in some sort of a groove. I don't think pulling him a play here and there is conducive to making him comfortable.

But man.. Our defense is fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Whitmer didn't go through his progressions, he locked nto receivers, he missed receivers that were open in favor of trying to thread needles. The line didn't always give him time, but he could have thrown a few balls away that ended up being INT's.

Whitmer gets a F conidering this is a game that we should have won. I think the play calling didn't help him. The season is early, but I think the coaches need to either shorten his leash, or put in J Mac to help him think about how to manage a game better. The defense really put us in a position to win this game and the offense let the team down, it's a shame.

Since when is Johnny freaking McEntee the guy to show a young quarterback how to "manage the game"?

Reaction Score
Since when is Johnny freaking McEntee the guy to show a young quarterback how to "manage the game"?

I meant more for motivation, maybe Whitmer would learn how to make better decisions if he were watching from the sidelines, not for tthe whole game but maybe just for a series. Sometime a QB needs to be pushed, just saying, very frustrated.

Reaction Score
I kept thinking during the game how Nebrich or Box would have performed today.

Reaction Score
I kept thinking during the game how Nebrich or Box would have performed today.

Yuck!

Whitmer is going to be good, potentially very good. He needs to improve his play fakes and learn to use his eyes to move the safeties and linebackers...but he will be good.

Reaction Score

1) The ACC is nothing special, so being in the top half doesn't mean much
2) Teams often cause turnovers. You have to credit the other team. This sounds like Pitt fans a couple of years ago when we beat them: " if we didn't GIVE them 7 turnovers..." Defenses force/capitalize on turnover opportunities.
3) Their defense isn't great. It is ok, but they haven't played a good offense yet and have looked far from dominant.
4) Their offense has less than 35 points in two games. Our Defense all but shut them out without 2 of our better D-linemen. Not to mention Tennessee is special either. Good offenses rarely turn the ball over 4 times.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
1) The ACC is nothing special, so being in the top half doesn't mean much
2) Teams often cause turnovers. You have to credit the other team. This sounds like Pitt fans a couple of years ago when we beat them: " if we didn't GIVE them 7 turnovers..." Defenses force/capitalize on turnover opportunities.
3) Their defense isn't great. It is ok, but they haven't played a good offense yet and have looked far from dominant.
4) Their offense has less than 35 points in two games. Our Defense all but shut them out without 2 of our better D-linemen. Not to mention Tennessee is special either. Good offenses rarely turn the ball over 4 times.

1) I didn't just say "top half". I said, "challenging for the ACC Championship. And I'd put the ACC around the same level as.....us.
2) Teams do often cause turnovers. But sometimes, teams get turnovers because the QB throws into a double-team.
3) Their defense is pretty good. Good size on the line, good corners, good linebackers = good defense.
4) Their offense scored 21 points and put up 400+ yards on a Tennessee team even after turning the ball over 4 times, against a Tennessee team that is still a mid-level SEC defense, which is saying they are pretty good.

Let's not make it sound like we played against the friggin' Sisters of Mercy today, okay? Jesus, it's amazing how little credit you are willing to give to both our team and our opponent today. Those are two good football teams that took the field today!

Reaction Score
I never said anything of the sort. If a team is challenging for a conference title...doesn't that mean they are top half of the conference?
The SEC is very top heavy, but after one game how are you sure Tennessee is any good?
I never avoid giving credit when due, but i won't pretend a sub-par team is good when they?! aren't. A few "experts" said NC State would be good without seeing them play a down. They are better than us and the proved that in he only place that counts, the field of play. But they aren't a good team. They were, however, good enough. Umass held our offense in check, so now the NC State defense is good because they held us to 7? Not taking anything away from them, just not "giving" them more than they earned.

Good is a subjective term, and maybe you are correct...maybe i did watch two good teams today. But it sure didn't look that way to me. I saw one great defense with a horrible and inexperienced offense, and one average defense with an almost average offense. End result, a three point game featuring two TDs and a field goal.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
I'm getting sick of the Wildcat. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and Expecting A Different Result." One Big Fail Deleone & Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom