Whitmer will be awesome next year! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Whitmer will be awesome next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
There are NO observable facts that Whitmer is better. The offense is limited by the kinds of throws he can make. Not to knock on a gutsy guy but opposing defensive coordinators only have to defend certain kinds of pass plays (i.e. long fade routes). If Diaco hadn't burned Boyles redshirt I would have no problem with Whitmer playing every down. However once burned even Stony Brook could defend Whitmer. By the way, to the village idiot who commented on Boyle starting only one year at Xavier it might be appropriate to remember Xavier won 3 consecutive state championships and their coach was bright enough to use the abundance of talent at Xavier and tailor each offensive year to that talent. Boyle will never improve until he has a chance to let that cannon arm force defenses to respect the entire field. Last year in his first game two TD passes were dropped. You can't throw it and catch at the same time.
Our guys and mostly young guys played one hell of a game against EC. It's too bad that we are so easy to defend and that's on Whitmer despite the FACT he is one tough kid. You want UConn to win you have to have a guy who can force all defenses to respect the entire field. Even Orlovsky didn't have a very good first year, but everyone learned and improved. Whitmer will never be able to do that. Even the running game stalls with some pretty good RB's because opposing defenses can still stack the box. Boyle may not be the answer but only a fool would think 1 series of action a game would enhance his development. Get him in a rhythm, force the opposition to respect the whole field and then we will know whether he is the future. Good guy that he is, Whitmer has proven he is not the answer, and a note to Boyle, get in the film room, play every practice like its the Super Bowl and force Diaco to play you. That's not on Whitmer it's on you!
Obviously this is your horse in the race - but youre right that it is time to force Diaco to play him - so get more intense (coaches words) and beat out the guy who has so many limitations that you have pointed out. The telling point of this is Whitmer is SO bad but that the coach will only play Boyle a series a week - I highly doubt it's that nagging lower leg 'injury' - I won't tell you why only one series a game as you seem much too intelligent to need me to point that out.

Dan O first year stats-
269 atts
9 TD's
11 ints

It is really not fair to attempt to claim Dan really didn't have a good first year compared to Tim's first year - there is a light years difference between the two.

Tim's first years
0 TD's
8 ints
133 atts
18 sacks

I could give CW stats but I guess those aren't observable facts ...and no observable facts that Boyle is better than Sheriffs...

'We want to play Tim, we really do'
'Tim is our future until someone beats him out'

Those are some telling quotes by our head coach about Tims development under this coaching staff.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would consider the argument against playing Whitmer more credible by those proposing it if they included Mateas and Cruz in their argument. As the two senior offensive linemen will not be back next year and our line play hasn't been even acceptable for nearly the entirety of the season to date.

There is an answer but in order to understand it you need to realize that a football team is about far more than one or two players and that running a program is a bit more involved than playing Madden on XBox.

Reaction Score
If Whitmer gives UConn a 25% chance of winning, and Boyle gives UConn a 10% or even 24% chance of winning, then yes there is a downside to playing Boyle.

It sounds like you're assuming that Boyle looks better than Whitmer in practice and the coaches choose to ignore that. If that were true it would be gross incompetence. You might believe that to be true, I think we don't have enough evidence. You said something about blind faith a while back, which is kind of funny given your blind faith in Boyle based on little to no evidence. How many wins has Boyle been involved in again?

I would like for Boyle to get more series in theory. But we're about halfway through the season and now I'm thinking if Boyle wants to make his case to the coaches to get more playing time he's going to have to demonstrate it by outcompeting Chandler in the film room, in practices, and maybe, I don't know, pick up some first downs when he goes into games. He's had at least one series in every game he's appeared in and I haven't seen him demonstrate that he's ready to take the bull by the horns and lead the team down the field. I don't think it's too much to ask. If he doesn't get the experience now, he'll have to make up for it in spring practice or he may find himself behind Tyler Davisby the summer.

Creating percentages is completely meaningless. You either win or lose. Zero sum game.

Coaches over value practice, always have, always will. It's because they can control everything in practice. This is not possible in games and everyone responds differently to live bullets. Coaches make personnel mistakes all the time. But the bigger issue here is not giving a player a FAIR chance. Just like P with Nebrich.

At this point there is zero value in playing Whitmer.

Reaction Score
Creating percentages is completely meaningless. You either win or lose. Zero sum game.

Coaches over value practice, always have, always will. It's because they can control everything in practice. This is not possible in games and everyone responds differently to live bullets. Coaches make personnel mistakes all the time. But the bigger issue here is not giving a player a FAIR chance. Just like P with Nebrich.

Is it fair for me to be rooting against Nebrich just so you don't throw him out every time you want a back up QB to play with no rational evidence that he would be as good as the starter? Probably not, but I'm close to paying a Fordham lineman some cash to get him to miss a block.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Show me where it says that QB competitions have to be fair. Or life for that matter. I have no problem with setting a higher standard for Boyle, a younger player who in theory should be the QB of the future, than for the outgoing QB with the low ceiling. Boyle has had an opportunity in every game he's played to show he can learn the playbook and make decisions. I have no problem saying that if he wants more playing time he has to earn it, both in practice and in the series he does get to play. I mean really, is it too much to ask him to pick up a few first downs in a series? You want to reward him for mediocrity which I thought was against your conservative free market principles. I want Boyle to learn how to compete and be successful. You want him to be gifted snaps.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
Creating percentages is completely meaningless. You either win or lose. Zero sum game. Coaches over value practice, always have, always will. It's because they can control everything in practice. This is not possible in games and everyone responds differently to live bullets. Coaches make personnel mistakes all the time. But the bigger issue here is not giving a player a FAIR chance. Just like P with Nebrich. At this point there is zero value in playing Whitmer.

This whole conversation wouldn't even be happening if they hadn't burned his RS for no reason.

But so far Boyle has been worse than Whitmer in game situations. I have no reason to think that changes THIS year with more PT. But that being said, at some point you have to let him play 1/2/3 complete games so you can see what we have.

Reaction Score
Exactly, we already know that Whitmer is terrible, let's see what Boyle can do. Whitmer hasn't beaten a FBS team in forever so isn't saying he gives us a better chance to win than Boyle a complete oxymoron.

This whole conversation wouldn't even be happening if they hadn't burned his RS for no reason.

But so far Boyle has been worse than Whitmer in game situations. I have no reason to think that changes THIS year with more PT. But that being said, at some point you have to let him play 1/2/3 complete games so you can see what we have.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Exactly, we already know that Whitmer is terrible, let's see what Boyle can do. Whitmer hasn't beaten a FBS team in forever so isn't saying he gives us a better chance to win than Boyle a complete oxymoron.
Not necessarily. Either QB has 0 FBS wins in however many games, but that doesn't mean their "chance to win" is zero, it means it's low. Saying Boyle has a better chance because CW has no wins is not a logical statement. It might be true, but it's not logical.

Let's try to agree on this - both QBs have faults. Boyle's ceiling might be higher. But having a higher ceiling does not guarantee wins.

Reaction Score
When the QB plays OL, RB, WR, TE, DL, LB, FS/SS, DB, LS, K, P, and Gunner then we can start giving them full credit wins, or full blame for losses.

Reaction Score
Yup, and winning 5 in a row in 2010 was also out of the question.

The spread offense we displayed on Thursday gives me a glimmer of hope, I just wish we were using the spread in game one vs BYU but I guess a new coach has a learning curve too. I respect that he is man enough to make changes during the season and not stubbornly stick with what was not working the way P did. Now if we could only get him to blitz on occasion when the ball is not in the red zone. He turns into Don Brown when it is in the red zone. The defense is very good but would be better if it were more unpredictable.

Don't be such a frontrunner metsguy.......they're fn awful this year, UMass would have their way with them and that sucks in a huge way. It's time to think about next year and beyond, not this year.

Reaction Score
Whether you favor Whitmer playing out the string or Boyle getting valuable game experience for the future, the one rational idea I would endorse is letting Boyle play at least three successive series. The three downs and hit the bench routine is neither confidence boosting nor helpful for team chemistry. I'd like to see Tim come into a game knowing that if he didn't move the team on that one series he would have a few more successive chances to adjust and perform---both in executing plays and leading the team with confidence.

Reaction Score
Show me where it says that QB competitions have to be fair. Or life for that matter. I have no problem with setting a higher standard for Boyle, a younger player who in theory should be the QB of the future, than for the outgoing QB with the low ceiling. Boyle has had an opportunity in every game he's played to show he can learn the playbook and make decisions. I have no problem saying that if he wants more playing time he has to earn it, both in practice and in the series he does get to play. I mean really, is it too much to ask him to pick up a few first downs in a series? You want to reward him for mediocrity which I thought was against your conservative free market principles. I want Boyle to learn how to compete and be successful. You want him to be gifted snaps.

Two receivers dropped Boyle TD passes against Boise late. Three plays against ECU and Tulane gives us no indication as to what Boyle can do. Whitmer has shown how tough he is and commited to the program he is on numerous occasions. The minute the Huskies are eliminated from the Bowl hunt Boyle should be the starter. Chandler had 2 shots to take the lead in the ECU game in the 4th Q and we went nowhere. Blame the play calls, blame the QB but we need to win a game and Boyle only has 2 years of eligibility left. A fool would play Chandler the most for the rest of the year. UNH beat Stoney Brook on Saturday. This concerns me. The Patriots drilled the Bears and DL line coach PP. This makes me happy.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Some of us need to accept the fact that all of the components of these equations are not fixed. The series that Boyle played against ECU was at a time when a) Whitmer was very effective, b) Boyle appeared more timid and stiff than ever and c) we were very much in that game and a victory was within reach.

Reaction Score

You and uconn34 are LOL funny! Take a deep breath and really look past your rose colored blinders. You will see what everyone else does, the value of playing Whitmer is he is saving Boyles life. He may get stronger and faster but right now with our line he is D1 fodder. To be blind of the fact the coaching staff and a large % of us village idiots see this and you do not should at least have you taking a closer look.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Whether you favor Whitmer playing out the string or Boyle getting valuable game experience for the future, the one rational idea I would endorse is letting Boyle play at least three successive series. The three downs and hit the bench routine is neither confidence boosting nor helpful for team chemistry. I'd like to see Tim come into a game knowing that if he didn't move the team on that one series he would have a few more successive chances to adjust and perform---both in executing plays and leading the team with confidence.
THIS!

I have been clamoring for Boyle to play more yet Whitmer showed that he could lead this team to some semblance of an Offense on Thursday so he has earned the starting gig again next week. However, everyone here is judging Boyle off what he did this season when he enters games KNOWING that if he screws up he's done for the game. Not ONCE has he been given the chance to prove what he can do to bounce back. It would be nice to see the staff recognize this and if they're gonna give him a series, make it be a few series in a row so they can fully see what they have in Boyle in a game setting, not just practice.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If the only argument for Boyle playing is that the experience may benefit him next year, then it's not a good enough reason IMO. It sounds like just about everyone agrees that Whitmer has been the better QB (there are one or two "hold outs" of note, but I won't note them). Well, the coach is supposed to play the best players on the team. Period.

Boyle has been given chances and, for the most part, they've been squandered. I hope he comes back next year and looks like Dan Marino, but he clearly isn't the best QB on the team right now and therefore shouldn't be taking the snaps. There are still 85 or so players on this roster that still want to be put into a winning situation. And with each passing week, it becomes increasingly clear that Whitmer is putting us in a better situation to win than Boyle...

Reaction Score
THIS!

I have been clamoring for Boyle to play more yet Whitmer showed that he could lead this team to some semblance of an Offense on Thursday so he has earned the starting gig again next week. However, everyone here is judging Boyle off what he did this season when he enters games KNOWING that if he screws up he's done for the game. Not ONCE has he been given the chance to prove what he can do to bounce back. It would be nice to see the staff recognize this and if they're gonna give him a series, make it be a few series in a row so they can fully see what they have in Boyle in a game setting, not just practice.

Yup, and we can also assume the practice reps with the first team for Boyle are close to nil.

I honestly doubt Boyle would come in and right away be better than Whitmer (he probably would be worse) but if Boyle got all of the practice reps and playing time from Stony Brook on and learned from his mistakes each week, it is entirely possible he would be as good or even better than Whitmer is right now. Whitmer has reached his ceiling, Boyle has barely gotten off the ground.

I think this whole situation speaks volumes for who Diaco expects to be the QB next year. There will be a new Shirreff in town.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Yup, and we can also assume the practice reps with the first team for Boyle are close to nil.
How can we be sure of that? My guess is that from the day Casey retired the first team reps would be pretty even between Boyle and Whitmer. I have no evidence to support or refute this but logically this should be the case.

Reaction Score
How can we be sure of that? My guess is that from the day Casey retired the first team reps would be pretty even between Boyle and Whitmer. I have no evidence to support or refute this but logically this should be the case.

If the practice reps are split evenly that is coaching to fail, I doubt that is the case. The starter should get the bulk of the reps if we are trying to win.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Just to add to the discussion:

Whitmer is the #73 QB in quarterback rating this year with 127.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...assing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating/count/41

Boyle, if you even average last year's numbers which were higher, is still 30 points below the lowest rated QB in the country, and with 150 D1 attempts, has thrown 0 TDs and 10 INTs.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546675/tim-boyle

Let's all let that sink in for a minute. One of these guys catches so much crap on this board that he wouldn't even be safe wearing galoshes. The other is supposedly the next coming of Joe Montana. But the stats say the exact opposite. And yet the Boneyard keeps on keepin' on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom