Whitmer will be awesome next year! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whitmer will be awesome next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Come on, the two situations are not remotely close. Bazz, was an all american candidate, pro prospect, and a proven winner.

Whitmer is Whitmer, and not to close to being any of the three things I mentioned about Bass.

Right. All Whitmer is is MUCH better than the alternative.

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk, except one team was built to win now and one is supposedly about developing.

But you are right,/its about who the coach wants in there and that isn't the younger kid.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
With all this experience he is getting, he'll be great. Game experience like this is invaluable. Glad he's getting it.

Forget the won/lost record. It will pay off in 2015.

Nevermind next year - CW was great last night!
:)

I REALLY hope Tim Boyle steps up Next Year and shows some moxy, better instincts and more intensity - for your sake.

Serious side - TB, as many have said, has the strong arm and tall frame to be a standout QB and I do hope he can put it together for 2015 and lead UConn back to a bowl team, it would be a great story and happy ending for all.

Reaction Score
I'm a happy dude. But I am comfortable with reality.

And playing Whitmer (nice kid) makes no sense.

At no point, did I believe that Whitmer could lead this team to a win. Nothing personnel. I just knew.

Please explain to me why is he playing?
WOW, why is he playing, lets see, according to our head coach, he wanted to win this game. By a very wide margin Whitmer is the best choice we currently - and I mean currently have. Now if you think we would have won this game with anyone on our team based on how they have been playing, i want whatever it is that you are smoking, drinking, snorting, and injecting! Do I think we were going to win this game NO! and that is a major Hell to the NO. However, if I thought we were going to get embarrassed playing ECU in their stadium, then yes that is exactly what I thought. No, I don't believe there are points for coming in second or points for style. All points go to the victor. Why would we start anyone other than Whitmer? Lets see our offensive line is Bad - really bad, and no I am not thinking we win another game this year. Our O-line played one game well with how much time to prepare. I don't mean to take the wind out of our sails. We played Michigan great last year too and look what happened, but to say that we would have won with TB at QB last night is just ridiculous at the highest level. Also for the record, next year is not going to be much better either. Get use to it fans, until this team can demonstrate that they are in every game each week which means winning at least half of our games, each season will be difficult to watch.

Lets reflect on our history which we somehow want to forget, inflate the sails with our past efforts and watch our over-confidence fade as the wind dies. Skip Holtz coach prior to Randy Edsall makes inroads in FCS, Randy Edsall remember the team playing on campus? Remember losing to GT and to Temple? Remember opening game at the Rent and the first fans there were UConn-nope University of Indiana - Hoosier fans. Lets look at our history not as negative as it may appear to you, but those are facts. Now go and improve on it! Tired of people asking who is we when talking about the team. We are the fans that leave the game early when the team playing knows the ugly score and knows the bus ride back to campus is long and arduous with all their nicks, scrapes, wounds, and injuries. We are the fans that in history were not the first ones into the Rent when it opened. (We as fans failed that day!!!) We are the fans who will witness the team turn-around or watch it wither. We are the 12th man! This season and next will be ugly, don't hide from it, don't expect to find that which wont be found, embrace it with a sense of truth. There is nothing worse than going into each game each week with higher expectations and feeling them ripped out of you. Go there, know what your about to see is no better than a scrimmage. Don't think of re-alignment, think of your fellow tailgaters and talk about the glory days of seasons past don't waste time on the future as the script is not written. Go to the game, and when the team under-performs just stay seated, your silence is the best motivator!

Reaction Score
I'm a happy dude. But I am comfortable with reality.

And playing Whitmer (nice kid) makes no sense.

At no point, did I believe that Whitmer could lead this team to a win. Nothing personnel. I just knew.

Please explain to me why is he playing?
I will put it to you now. Boyle will not even be the starter next year. Your evaluation is that of a loving parent and not of what coaches see. He needs development and moxie big time. Get over the proto size and look at what he has for experience. Not a starting QB until SR year and that was shared.
He may be great for us down the road but not ready at this time. He was happy to be considered for a redshirt at the beginning of the season, that should be enough for anyone to get it.

Reaction Score
He did not play well or good, he played well for him.

His one throw that had 50+ YAC was an under thrown ball and it allowes the receiver to take advantage of the coverage.

He needed to manage drives late and was totally ineffective.

I can't believe how quickly you forget his complete ineptitude because of one improved game.

But...he played well. We had a chance to beat the #18 team in the country on the road

Reaction Score
For what, a goal of getting 1-2 wins and never moving the offense forward.

Whitmer was gutty tonight.
He played his best game. I do not know what is going on, but this was our best game this year, and Chandler's. Tim looked okay, and I cannot question HCBD today, and I have been a major critic. At this point, Palatine, and I think you know your sh&t, I think we stay with Whitmer.

Reaction Score
WOW, why is he playing, lets see, according to our head coach, he wanted to win this game. By a very wide margin Whitmer is the best choice we currently - and I mean currently have. Now if you think we would have won this game with anyone on our team based on how they have been playing, i want whatever it is that you are smoking, drinking, snorting, and injecting! Do I think we were going to win this game NO! and that is a major Hell to the NO. However, if I thought we were going to get embarrassed playing ECU in their stadium, then yes that is exactly what I thought. No, I don't believe there are points for coming in second or points for style. All points go to the victor. Why would we start anyone other than Whitmer? Lets see our offensive line is Bad - really bad, and no I am not thinking we win another game this year. Our O-line played one game well with how much time to prepare. I don't mean to take the wind out of our sails. We played Michigan great last year too and look what happened, but to say that we would have won with TB at QB last night is just ridiculous at the highest level. Also for the record, next year is not going to be much better either. Get use to it fans, until this team can demonstrate that they are in every game each week which means winning at least half of our games, each season will be difficult to watch.

Lets reflect on our history which we somehow want to forget, inflate the sails with our past efforts and watch our over-confidence fade as the wind dies. Skip Holtz coach prior to Randy Edsall makes inroads in FCS, Randy Edsall remember the team playing on campus? Remember losing to GT and to Temple? Remember opening game at the Rent and the first fans there were UConn-nope University of Indiana - Hoosier fans. Lets look at our history not as negative as it may appear to you, but those are facts. Now go and improve on it! Tired of people asking who is we when talking about the team. We are the fans that leave the game early when the team playing knows the ugly score and knows the bus ride back to campus is long and arduous with all their nicks, scrapes, wounds, and injuries. We are the fans that in history were not the first ones into the Rent when it opened. (We as fans failed that day!!!) We are the fans who will witness the team turn-around or watch it wither. We are the 12th man! This season and next will be ugly, don't hide from it, don't expect to find that which wont be found, embrace it with a sense of truth. There is nothing worse than going into each game each week with higher expectations and feeling them ripped out of you. Go there, know what your about to see is no better than a scrimmage. Don't think of re-alignment, think of your fellow tailgaters and talk about the glory days of seasons past don't waste time on the future as the script is not written. Go to the game, and when the team under-performs just stay seated, your silence is the best motivator!

Whitmer is ONLY the best choice because Diaco hasn't cared to learn what Boyle can (or can't) do or played him enough to compete for the job. If Diaco had done these things and Whitmer was STILL the best choice, then fine, I would agree with Diaco.

Whitmer has lost every game -EVERY GAME- this year (except SB) and he lost all four of his starts last year. If that gives us the best chance of winning, then there is some definition of winning that doesn't include scoring more points than the competition.

Even worse, since Whitmer loses every game, there is absolutely no downside to playing Boyle. He could have given Boyle any number or starts of quarters without effecting our record or chance for a bowl. And that, at the very least, would put us in a much better posture moving forward. Heck, it might have improved our record, we'll never know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So ECU switched up the defense and suddenly Whitmer became ineffective... And that's Whitmer's fault, rather than the coaching for not making adjustments to what ECU was doing.

3rd and 8 and they run a QB read option. And that's Whitner's fault it's ineffective.

Right.

He accounted 85% of our offense and that includes sitting a series.

85%!!

We can't run the ball. Period. The best rushing play of the night required our QB to block a linebacker. What do you expect from a QB with a shaky line and zero ability to move the ball on the ground.

Morons.

Oh, and 12 penalties for 119 yards. We were penalized for 35 more yards than we rushed for. But let's pick on Whitmer.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Whitmer is ONLY the best choice because Diaco hasn't cared to learn what Boyle can (or can't) do or played him enough to compete for the job. If Diaco had done these things and Whitmer was STILL the best choice, then fine, I would agree with Diaco.

Whitmer has lost every game -EVERY GAME- this year (except SB) and he lost all four of his starts last year. If that gives us the best chance of winning, then there is some definition of winning that doesn't include scoring more points than the competition.

Even worse, since Whitmer loses every game, there is absolutely no downside to playing Boyle. He could have given Boyle any number or starts of quarters without effecting our record or chance for a bowl. And that, at the very least, would put us in a much better posture moving forward. Heck, it might have improved our record, we'll never know.
If Whitmer gives UConn a 25% chance of winning, and Boyle gives UConn a 10% or even 24% chance of winning, then yes there is a downside to playing Boyle.

It sounds like you're assuming that Boyle looks better than Whitmer in practice and the coaches choose to ignore that. If that were true it would be gross incompetence. You might believe that to be true, I think we don't have enough evidence. You said something about blind faith a while back, which is kind of funny given your blind faith in Boyle based on little to no evidence. How many wins has Boyle been involved in again?

I would like for Boyle to get more series in theory. But we're about halfway through the season and now I'm thinking if Boyle wants to make his case to the coaches to get more playing time he's going to have to demonstrate it by outcompeting Chandler in the film room, in practices, and maybe, I don't know, pick up some first downs when he goes into games. He's had at least one series in every game he's appeared in and I haven't seen him demonstrate that he's ready to take the bull by the horns and lead the team down the field. I don't think it's too much to ask. If he doesn't get the experience now, he'll have to make up for it in spring practice or he may find himself behind Tyler Davisby the summer.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Other players who have lost every game except Whitmer-
G Davis
D Foxx
B Jones
Obi
B Diaco
Everyone that has player on the OL
Etc etc etc.

I could keep going but you must be smart enough to know it takes 22 and ST to win or lose a FB game - it is a team sport. If CW was a Singles tennis player on the UConn tennis team and he was 1-6 then yes - he lost every game except SB.

What if TB played and got his shoulder ripped up on a hard hit because he doesn't sense the rush and the OL doesn't give him the time to throw as his reads are slower - and his career is cut short due to injury - how would you react to that? How would that put us in a much better posture moving forward?? You would be bitching about putting Boyle behind that OL?

Be a team player and get behind the guys are are bleeding and sweating for this team instead of ripping them. Instead of calling out Whitmer call out Diaco to play Boyle - but your act of ripping Whitmer is getting old.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Pal, you've gone completely off the deep end.

I hate the idea of knocking one of our kids but there is one thing here that I absolutely need to point out. The biggest knock (while Casey was still active) on Whitmer was how he reacted with even the slightest amount of pressure. Whitmer panicked and scrambled while Cochran slid a little and completed a pass. The one series when Boyle played Thursday, on a pass play, without anything other than the line forming a pocket around him, Boyle pulled the ball in, started moving forward, towards where the pocket was forming, putting himself in a position where he could not throw the ball and where it was easier for ECU's linemen to sack him. If Boyle played, there would have been no opportunity for the offensive linemen or receivers (many of each who will return next year) to experience any success or gain any confidence.

An entire offense needs to be developed, not merely your (at the moment) pet player (who will be in your doghouse the minute a backup who you believe may have more potential emerges).

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pal's entire theory rests on 1) Diaco and his whole staff either not wanting to win or being too stupid to know how, and 2) Boyle is better- not based on any observable facts, but simply by not being Whitmer.

My money is on Pal being the idiot here.

Reaction Score
There are NO observable facts that Whitmer is better. The offense is limited by the kinds of throws he can make. Not to knock on a gutsy guy but opposing defensive coordinators only have to defend certain kinds of pass plays (i.e. long fade routes). If Diaco hadn't burned Boyles redshirt I would have no problem with Whitmer playing every down. However once burned even Stony Brook could defend Whitmer. By the way, to the village idiot who commented on Boyle starting only one year at Xavier it might be appropriate to remember Xavier won 3 consecutive state championships and their coach was bright enough to use the abundance of talent at Xavier and tailor each offensive year to that talent. Boyle will never improve until he has a chance to let that cannon arm force defenses to respect the entire field. Last year in his first game two TD passes were dropped. You can't throw it and catch at the same time.
Our guys and mostly young guys played one hell of a game against EC. It's too bad that we are so easy to defend and that's on Whitmer despite the FACT he is one tough kid. You want UConn to win you have to have a guy who can force all defenses to respect the entire field. Even Orlovsky didn't have a very good first year, but everyone learned and improved. Whitmer will never be able to do that. Even the running game stalls with some pretty good RB's because opposing defenses can still stack the box. Boyle may not be the answer but only a fool would think 1 series of action a game would enhance his development. Get him in a rhythm, force the opposition to respect the whole field and then we will know whether he is the future. Good guy that he is, Whitmer has proven he is not the answer, and a note to Boyle, get in the film room, play every practice like its the Super Bowl and force Diaco to play you. That's not on Whitmer it's on you!

Reaction Score
There are NO observable facts that Whitmer is better. The offense is limited by the kinds of throws he can make. Not to knock on a gutsy guy but opposing defensive coordinators only have to defend certain kinds of pass plays (i.e. long fade routes). If Diaco hadn't burned Boyles redshirt I would have no problem with Whitmer playing every down. However once burned even Stony Brook could defend Whitmer. By the way, to the village idiot who commented on Boyle starting only one year at Xavier it might be appropriate to remember Xavier won 3 consecutive state championships and their coach was bright enough to use the abundance of talent at Xavier and tailor each offensive year to that talent. Boyle will never improve until he has a chance to let that cannon arm force defenses to respect the entire field. Last year in his first game two TD passes were dropped. You can't throw it and catch at the same time.
Our guys and mostly young guys played one hell of a game against EC. It's too bad that we are so easy to defend and that's on Whitmer despite the FACT he is one tough kid. You want UConn to win you have to have a guy who can force all defenses to respect the entire field. Even Orlovsky didn't have a very good first year, but everyone learned and improved. Whitmer will never be able to do that. Even the running game stalls with some pretty good RB's because opposing defenses can still stack the box. Boyle may not be the answer but only a fool would think 1 series of action a game would enhance his development. Get him in a rhythm, force the opposition to respect the whole field and then we will know whether he is the future. Good guy that he is, Whitmer has proven he is not the answer, and a note to Boyle, get in the film room, play every practice like its the Super Bowl and force Diaco to play you. That's not on Whitmer it's on you!
I am not out to bash Boyle but he simply is not ready for this level of play. He averages a sack every four downs of play, if this is not observable to you I would suggest a closer seat or opticals. Blame it on the line or the coaches but open your eyes. He not only gets sacked he crumbles, you are asking for him to get seriously injured.
Yes he has a great arm but his foot speed and strength needs to catch up. He may be the QB of the future but to play him now may not afford him one.

Reaction Score
He has been sacked several times this year cause that's all he has played. Get a better bark Woof!

Reaction Score
It's funny, as a less than die hard fan as many of you, I don't find Palantine to be that far off. He may be stretching the line a bit but having Whitmer QBing the majority of the time this year is really a waste. As the rest of the team hopefully improves who's going to be behind center in what is obviously the most important position. It is not fair to Whitmer as a senior and a kid who stuck it out to Not play at all I agree. But this one game, against an obviously weak defensive opponent, has people suddenly believing he needs to be the guy, that's funny. While the line has been fairly awful this year so has he, clueless at times and having no pocket presence. I realize Boyle hasn't looked good either when thrown in, but he also is the only of the 2 QB's not to be given a chance to get any type of rhythm to prove anything other than what you can see from 2-6 passes a game.

The line looked better the other night or maybe ECU's defensive line wasn't too good, either way they will continue to grow while next year they will have no one with any game experience to speak of, ready to lead them as they try to improve on what will be an awful 2014 campaign no matter how you slice it. I guess we better hope that Davis also is a stud along with the NC State transfer who likes to run a lot too. Obviously there is little confidence by this staff Boyle will have any chance to be the guy or else he'd playing I would think. Then again, he hasn't had a fair shake on a team who isn't very good at all. Crazy!:rolleyes:

Oh yeah and another thing, with all of the good QB's out there, and there's tons as you watch highlights and games, it's amazing that PP couldn't find any of those diamonds while recruiting. Well then again, it's not!

Reaction Score
My guess is that Diaco is going to stick with Whitmer until we have no chance of bowl eligibility. I know bowl eligibility seems absurd at this point, but if we upset UCF it will not be out of the question given our schedule.

Reaction Score
My guess is that Diaco is going to stick with Whitmer until we have no chance of bowl eligibility. I know bowl eligibility seems absurd at this point, but if we upset UCF it will not be out of the question given our schedule.

Oh it's out of the question. I mean the only thing not out of the question is whether they can roll on SMU? The rest has been out of the question since the win over SB.......

Reaction Score
Oh it's out of the question. I mean the only thing not out of the question is whether they can roll on SMU? The rest has been out of the question since the win over SB..

Yup, and winning 5 in a row in 2010 was also out of the question.

The spread offense we displayed on Thursday gives me a glimmer of hope, I just wish we were using the spread in game one vs BYU but I guess a new coach has a learning curve too. I respect that he is man enough to make changes during the season and not stubbornly stick with what was not working the way P did. Now if we could only get him to blitz on occasion when the ball is not in the red zone. He turns into Don Brown when it is in the red zone. The defense is very good but would be better if it were more unpredictable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69