Which True Freshman Will Play | The Boneyard

Which True Freshman Will Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For all the talk about more day one ready recruits coming into the program under P, I would not be surprised if we saw fewer true freshman take off the redshirts this year than we've traditionally had. My analysis would be as follows:

DB is a position that true frosh can easily play, but including Kantor I see us as 11 deep there, and settled on the two deep at both CB and S, and haven't heard anything that makes me think a true freshman is playing. LB is harder for true frosh to play, and while we're a litttle thinner there it would take a few injuries before you saw any true frosh. Finally, on the DL where it's hardest (on D) to play true frosh, I think we're deep enough (without being truly deep) that it's unlikely. The only rumble we've heard has been Myers at DT, and not even Kendall Reyes played there as a true frosh. As for Knappe, I would be shocked if he didn't need a year to acclimate to American football played in the States.

On offense, Bockeloh is the only true frosh on the two deep. Will he come in with the 2d unit if we're blowing out UMass? We'll see. Maybe, but also maybe P does what he did with Ashiru and Vann last year and keeps him on the two deep but doesn't take the redshirt off unless he's needed the first haff of the season. At WR, we've heard about Guitierrez making an impact, and it's not impossible he could be the 6th WR and Foxx and Abrams could redshirt. But we'll have to see. I don't see a true frosh playing at TE or FB. Williams absolutely could play at TB, as true frosh can play there, but we've heard little to nothing about that as a possibility to date. With Cochrane not being 100% yet, and having two other QBs, I think it's doubtful (thought not impossible) that he plays this year. And Puyol seems to have been beaten out by Chad Christen for PK, unless Christen fails under pressure (which I don't see happening).

So, as we sit here today, I'm not sure you will see any true frosh play this year, which I think would be unprecedented since UConn went I-A. If I had to guess the five most likely to play this year they would be, in order, as follows:

1. Bockeloh (C)
2. Joe Williams (TB)
3. Puyol (PK)
4. Cochrane (QB)
5. Gutierrez (WR)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
norris may make his way in even tho his positions are deep.

Reaction Score
Center may be the hardest position to play as a true frosh. My prediction is Williams at RB and Norris as a hybrid see the field this year. Maybe a WR like Gutierrez or John Green, but I would be surprised.

Reaction Score
i think that sounds about right except I'd probably put Gutierrez above Cochrane

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i think i would make this my top 5
bockeloh
williams
norris
myers
samara

casey is getting a rs. we have 3 qbs to go thru before him this fall. not happening. if bp gets time then the kicking game is bad and its him for the next 4 years. i don't see that happening. i see bp getting a rs with ck kicking this and next year then bp for 3 years. i think the 2014 class we will add a kicker and punter btw....

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Given Cochran's lost time due to injury I don't see any way he plays barring injuries to the other 3 QBs

Reaction Score
the only ones I expect to see on the field barring injuries are Myers at DT, and possibly Williams at RB. Guttierez needs 20 lbs. and in this scheme I think C is too hard to for a freshman to absorb everything, although Bockeloh is very smart.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Dez had an interview last week with the running backs coach in which he said that he expected all of the RB's to play.

I'm surprised Bullock is not listed as the back-up center.

If something were to happen early in the season to Whitmer I would not be surprised to see Cochran get a look (if the hand is good to go)

Whitmer and Phillips aren't freshmen, but they are year one recruits expected to have a huge impact this year.

Reaction Score
Me thinks:

1) Joe Williams
2) E.J. Norris
3) Casey Cochran (only in emergency situation)
4) Tyler Samra (was specifically mentioned at the MCCC to travel w/team, along with E.J.)
5) Kyle Bockeloh

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
agree, CC will probably only be considered an emergency... like complete loss of Whitmer

Reaction Score
Just watched Press Pass on SNY. P mentioned that they may rotate 5 DT's during the game. He said Mikal Myers was the 5th tackle.

Reaction Score
Bockeloh should be fine, hopefully. Almost 20 years old.

Reaction Score
Cochran isn't playing this year. Not a chance. And I think they may have decided that between the other running backs they have enough that they can let Williams redshirt. They won't use him just to use him. Now if someone goes down, the equation could change, but I would bet that is not the plan.

Reaction Score
Knappe must count as a freshman, no? If so, he plays this year. Norris and Samra appear to be on travel squad, so they may see action. Williams and Gutierrez will, IMO, be playing by mid-year. The latter will surpass the back-up sophs.

I'm still confused about the LB depth issue, but I must have misread.

Reaction Score
I hope the answer is none, but i think Norris and Williams could get some this season.

Reaction Score
Why are some hoping frosh don't play? What a great way to tell recruits you can see field early. More, if they earned it, why would you sit them now?

Reaction Score
I hope that any frosh who can help us plays.

That having been said, last year we used three true frosh at the skill positions -- Nebrich, Foxx and Abrams -- and the truth is that none of them contributed to the season in any material way. So I think some concern about whether the staff was too quick to put a true frosh out there is not inappropriate at the moment.

Reaction Score
Why are some hoping frosh don't play? What a great way to tell recruits you can see field early. More, if they earned it, why would you sit them now?
Think early is considered the second year as opposed to the third year or even fourth out of five..

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree w/the remarks about the staff. Look at the LBs, where the starters were exhausted so the staff could retain RS'. The examples you pick represent the anomaly 2011 was - Nebrich played b/c no QB took the reins and the staff wanted experience there; Foxx and Abrams played because we had no depth at their position. In other words, those kids benefitted from lack of depth. Notice any of them in the 2 deep this year?

I don't see that being the case this year. Lots cann happen over 4/5 years. Lots can happen after year 1 (injury, academics, other) - see Mike Smith, Graham Stewart. Who knows, maybe Abrams and/or Foxx RS this year.

I hope that any frosh who can help us plays.

That having been said, last year we used three true frosh at the skill positions -- Nebrich, Foxx and Abrams -- and the truth is that none of them contributed to the season in any material way. So I think some concern about whether the staff was too quick to put a true frosh out there is not inappropriate at the moment.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree w/the remarks about the staff. Look at the LBs, where the starters were exhausted so the staff could retain RS'. The examples you pick represent the anomaly 2011 was - Nebrich played b/c no QB took the reins and the staff wanted experience there; Foxx and Abrams played because we had no depth at their position. In other words, those kids benefitted from lack of depth. Notice any of them in the 2 deep this year?

I don't see that being the case this year. Lots cann happen over 4/5 years. Lots can happen after year 1 (injury, academics, other) - see Mike Smith, Graham Stewart. Who knows, maybe Abrams and/or Foxx RS this year.

I'm not sure what you actually disagreed with (other than that I'm obviously not allowed to say anything that might be perceived as remotely negative about the current staff). I supported the Staff putting these kids on the field last year trying to win games, and don't criticize them for doing so. But to ignore the fact that all three basically wasted their RS in a year where they got limited snaps and didn't help the team -- well, that's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Reaction Score

Because it is extremely rare for them to actually make a meaningful contribution when they do see the field. The impact most players have on the program in their 3rd, 4th, and 5th year is FAR greater than the impact they have in their first year.

I hope the best players see the field, if that means a few true freshman, then so be it. I'd just prefer we redshirt as many as possible as the program is generally better off in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom