Which NFL draft prospect has the most upside? - Obi Melifonwu (NFL.com) | The Boneyard

Which NFL draft prospect has the most upside? - Obi Melifonwu (NFL.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ask 5: Which NFL draft prospect has the most upside?

>>Each year, we see players that were picked outside of the first round make a tremendous impact in the NFL. Guys like Everson Griffen and Antonio Brown are great examples of high-upside talents that weren't quite finished products when they were drafted. Over a brief period of development, they emerged as stars at their respective positions. Which current senior prospect has the most upside? I polled five different NFL executives. Here are their answers.

Executive 2: UConn safety Obi Melifonwu
"The UConn safety is really intriguing. He's freaky athletic and he's going to put up big-time testing numbers. He'll run low 4.4s (in the 40-yard dash) and jump over 40 inches. He can play in the slot as well. Huge upside."<<

Reaction Score
UConn’s Obi Melifonwu is a name to monitor | Seahawks Draft Blog

>>On this evidence he has the versatility to play free or strong safety, line up vs TE’s in the slot, possibly play some outside corner and provide an option at deathbacker or SAM.

He has four interceptions this season, 94 tackles and two TFL’s.

This is a really impressive safety class overall — but Melifonwu is without doubt a name to monitor. Byron Jones’ workout for the ages only helped him become the #27 overall pick — so even if Melifonwu has a similar combine performance, he won’t necessarily leap into the top-20.

The 2017 draft class is really starting to look very interesting. Players like Takk McKinley, Garett Bolles and Obi Melifonwu are providing genuine freaky athleticism to a big-name group of prospects. Exciting times.<<

Reaction Score
I think he will moved to LB in the NFL.

I think he might be a nickel or dime backer but not full time. Always thought it was a mistake not moving him to linebacker here.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I think he might be a nickel or dime backer but not full time. Always thought it was a mistake not moving him to linebacker here.
He has major coverage issues. Has gotten burned way too much ala Roy Williams from Dallas. Comes up...stuffs the run but that was it (for RW).
Any success for Obi will need to be at the Free Safety position.
He has the size and ability.....needs the Football IQ to catch up.

Reaction Score
He has major coverage issues. Has gotten burned way too much ala Roy Williams from Dallas. Comes up...stuffs the run but that was it (for RW).
Any success for Obi will need to be at the Free Safety position.
He has the size and ability.....needs the Football IQ to catch up.

That's why I thought he should be moved to OLB. When asked to play centerfield he bites on fakes and gets turned around easily. I think he would thrive covering tight ends and backs out of backfield and his speed would have been a huge asset to an unathletic lb corps. Also would add speed on edge when asked to rush.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think he will moved to LB in the NFL.

He is not nearly big enough. Might be strong safety though. Perfect size for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom