Where We Recruited Well | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where We Recruited Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
P's judgment, with his experience and hours put in and access to practice, is far, far, far more likely to be right on a personnel matter than the judgment of anyone on the board.

My view fwiw.[/quote

Agreed, but his experience and hours put in with regards to CLOCK MANAGEMENT stink. Maybe he should hire Flavor Flav to remind himself that clock management can WIN games.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the Huskies get the reputation for developing BCS caliber receivers (nevermind the NFL). Speed, hands, separation, athletic playmakers . . . on a consistent basis. Marcus Easley can be the prototype, but UConn needs more than 9 games in season after season. And . . . maybe to achieve that, you need a coach who will commit to a passing game and not treat it the way a pitcher treats an intentional walk (sometimes they're force to issue one, but it doesn't mean they like it).

As for Cochran, you mean that PP won't put him in during the first quarter of some D-1A game burning his redshirt, but then never really using him afterwards dispite horrible QB performances.

COuld be me, but the only thing I care about is UCONN winning. I don't care if they run the wing t or run and shoot. You seem fixated on having an exciting offense, even at the expense of wins.

Take a gander at the total passing yards a game for BCS teams this year. Check out where the 2 teams who played for the BCS Championship were.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Just an uneducated look at the numbers and my personal bias.

OL - We got numbers, size and some local guys who seem to come through for us at that position. I believe you succeed on offense from the inside out and these guys make me happy.

LB/ILB - Looks like a nice group of athletes similar numbers. While Vinci doesn't show up for the star gazers, I wouldn't sell him short at this position or somewhere else on the field.

QB - Awesome. I think we got just what we needed. Something for now and something for later.

DL kind of worries me. Not many eggs in that basket.
Any comments on other skill positions?

-i like the size of most of the WR's we have coming in.
-overall several guys in the class have speed that we just havn't seen(john green/joe will/mike em)
-agree at qb
-our line guys have bcs ready size mostly so the rs year if it happens is more for learning than eating in the cafe.
-PP said whitmer is a big guy, i'm hoping for some big time arm strenght with this suposed down the field throwing

Reaction Score
COuld be me, but the only thing I care about is UCONN winning. I don't care if they run the wing t or run and shoot. You seem fixated on having an exciting offense, even at the expense of wins.

Take a gander at the total passing yards a game for BCS teams this year. Check out where the 2 teams who played for the BCS Championship were.

Totally agree. DEFENSE wins football games. The offense has to control the clock, limit the opponents possessions, and take advantage of red-zone opportunities. Whether you win 49-6 or 7-6...it's a win and that's all that matters. Win games and become bowl eligible, that's it.

Reaction Score
-i like the size of most of the WR's we have coming in.
-overall several guys in the class have speed that we just havn't seen(john green/joe will/mike em)
-agree at qb
-our line guys have bcs ready size mostly so the rs year if it happens is more for learning than eating in the cafe.
-PP said whitmer is a big guy, i'm hoping for some big time arm strenght with this suposed down the field throwing

Completely agree with your post in and the previous poster you were quoting. Filled holes, filled out the depth chart. Added key talent at the right positions and found some guys that can contribute from day 1. Improvement over last year for sure, including some HS guys that can grow, learn and develop and contribute down the road. Good even class. Losing Lanier, I would hope we can bring Berger in as a late addition, that would be nice. One thing I saw too, Shortell isn't a scholarship guy, he is a financial aid agreement signee.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. DEFENSE wins football games. The offense has to control the clock, limit the opponents possessions, and take advantage of red-zone opportunities. Whether you win 49-6 or 7-6...it's a win and that's all that matters. Win games and become bowl eligible, that's it.
Defensive games are a snooze! Like watching the Blair Witch you keep waiting for something to happen then it ends.

Reaction Score
Defensive games are a snooze! Like watching the Blair Witch you keep waiting for something to happen then it ends.

Agreed. The "defense wins games" mentality is old school. Modern football is putting points up on the board - lot's of them and quickly. Sure there are anomalies, we saw that with Alabama v LSU. But even there, the NCG was a bore. They could still be playing and LSU wasn't ever gonna score. They were a Zero threat to get the ball into the end zone against Alabama. Oh - for - two games. Poor, really poor.

Reaction Score
I think that's about the most illogical thing I have ever read.

Reaction Score
I want my thread back! Please stop the self-absorbed bickering over last years QB's or start another thread hammering the guy you want to throw under the bus.

no kidding, it's been discussed a thousand times. personally i'm pretty excited for this year's spring game. it should tell us a lot about where the QBs line up. i'm thrilled that both Whitmer and Cochran are on campus right now. by late summer we should have a pretty good idea of who the starter will be. it'll be fun to see it play out. i think the worst case scenerio is that we dont have a clear cut winner by August because it means to me that we're probably in for another year of middling QB play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What seals his fate for me was that horrid picture I have etched in my mind that typified the 2011 season where he had the ball taken out of his hands in the end zone for a defensive touchdown.

That killed me. But the picture I was left with that game was JMac's mental toughness. He fought back and had a good 2nd half. Give the circumstances, that was incredible.

Reaction Score
That killed me. But the picture I was left with that game was JMac's mental toughness. He fought back and had a good 2nd half. Give the circumstances, that was incredible.

That you. The McEntee bashing is way overdone. The kid played his ass off, took alot of hits and got up from every one of them. He actually made some big plays for us and helped us beat both of our arch rivals. For a first year starter he wasn't nearly as bad as everyone is making him out to be. I'm very glad he is still on the team to at least provide quality depth at the position next year.

Reaction Score
I could not agree more. Kid was very tough. He may have some physical limitations, but he certainly did not lack heart or character from what I could see.

Throws a nice ball. Footwork needs work.....maybe a lot

Reaction Score
I get your point and I agree, so don't be getting riled. Too bad, though, he didn't take steps to give Nebrich more experience once it became apparent that the 2011 ship had sailed. Let the kid take snaps. He couldn't have been worse (could he?).
Here's the problem withthat comment...the 2011 boat didn't really sail until we lost to Cincy. In the game today, 6-6 gets you a bowl. we were still in the hunt on the final weekend, so Pasqualoni wasn't going to make a change at that point. You want to argue by the 4th quarter maybe he should have just let Nebrich run the show, but we did score twice to at least make it interesting in that period and if the d had made a stop who knows what might have happened. If he didn't think Nebrich was ready to play the week before, what changed? In many respects the argument about whether Nebrich should have played is silly. the two people who were in position ot make that decision didn't think he was ready. And the way bowl bids are awarded made it unlikely that they would just give him on the job training over the final couple of weeks. Might have been different if the requirement was 7 wins.

Reaction Score
yes he did and if not for the bad call on the tebucky jones catch we win the game. I think we have some players that were grasping the new systems(offense and defense) moving forward , alot to look forward to.

Reaction Score
That you. The McEntee bashing is way overdone. The kid played his ass off, took alot of hits and got up from every one of them. He actually made some big plays for us and helped us beat both of our arch rivals. For a first year starter he wasn't nearly as bad as everyone is making him out to be. I'm very glad he is still on the team to at least provide quality depth at the position next year.

Huh??????

Reaction Score
Here's the problem withthat comment...the 2011 boat didn't really sail until we lost to Cincy. In the game today, 6-6 gets you a bowl. we were still in the hunt on the final weekend, so Pasqualoni wasn't going to make a change at that point. You want to argue by the 4th quarter maybe he should have just let Nebrich run the show, but we did score twice to at least make it interesting in that period and if the d had made a stop who knows what might have happened. If he didn't think Nebrich was ready to play the week before, what changed? In many respects the argument about whether Nebrich should have played is silly. the two people who were in position ot make that decision didn't think he was ready. And the way bowl bids are awarded made it unlikely that they would just give him on the job training over the final couple of weeks. Might have been different if the requirement was 7 wins.

A defense stop and if Griffin hangs onto the football on the long pass play which he fumbled at about the Cincy 20 yard line inside 2 minutes who knows what could have happened. They really made a run at the end of the game. I too was calling for McEntee's head and Nebrich/McCummings to get more playing time. They were a few plays away from having 7 wins instead of 5. This past season was so close to looking much better than it finished up. Too many close late loses where the lack of offensive production and defensive depth crush the team. Regardless of them being freshmen, most starters are back, and the team appears to have depth now. Nebrich, McC, McEntee, Whitmer and Cochran should all get a fair shot at the QB spot this spring/summer/fall. I love Cochran's determination. His tweets constantly consist of putting in work, working hard, getting better, etc. The kid came to play. While I think in all likely hood Whitmer is the starter, don't count out Cochran.

Reaction Score
McEntee did help beat Syracuse and Rutgers. Have to give him some credit for that.

Reaction Score
McEntee did help beat Syracuse and Rutgers. Have to give him some credit for that.

That is the reason I feel like the season was not a total loss. It is always nice to beat rivals and even better when we deny one of the title shot (rutgirls). There were only two games where we were completely out of it despite our offense (Louisville and WVU). There were also games like Western Michigan where McEntee and the offense kept us in it despite a porous secondary. I think Deleone had pretty good game plans (and McEntee executed at times), but the increased skill and competition will only make that offense better. I'm hoping the year two offense evolves and becomes more dynamic. Quarterback/receiver trust will come with time. My biggest concern is replacing key parts on the o-line and gelling. We will be a little thinner and less experienced there, but there is also a lot of potential. It would be great if we saw more developed tight-end play too. Deleone and Foley will ask a lot of Griffin and Delahunt because of their experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom