Where We Recruited Well | The Boneyard

Where We Recruited Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just an uneducated look at the numbers and my personal bias.

OL - We got numbers, size and some local guys who seem to come through for us at that position. I believe you succeed on offense from the inside out and these guys make me happy.

LB/ILB - Looks like a nice group of athletes similar numbers. While Vinci doesn't show up for the star gazers, I wouldn't sell him short at this position or somewhere else on the field.

QB - Awesome. I think we got just what we needed. Something for now and something for later.

DL kind of worries me. Not many eggs in that basket.
Any comments on other skill positions?

Reaction Score
This class looks good at safety (assuming the kid from MA signs), but with two seniors starting next season at corner it would have been preferable to get more help on the outside.

Reaction Score
OLine you can "build" if you have guys who are athletic, willing to put in the work and built to handle the extra weight. We have been doing that for several years now. Tom O"Brien made a career of doing exactly the same thing at BC and is doing it again at NCState. You don't need lots of stars to develop great tackles and guards. Perfect world they don't see the field until they are sophomers so they have 2 years to develop. I'm very pleased with this group.

I'm with you for quarterback too. I think we are set up to have a very good starter for a couple of years with Whitmer, which gives Cochran time to really learn the system. In some ways I really tink Whitmer is the diamond in this group. his numbers were pretty impressive in the JUCO ranks. 3000 plus yards passing. 25 tds against 14 Interceptions.

Reaction Score
I agree we are a little thin on the D-line but that's why we are going to the 3-4. It is a lot easier to find LBs than D-linemen.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is going to have to gain some muscle mass. And work on his accuracy. 14 interceptions is not good.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"Whitmer is going to have to gain some muscle mass. And work on his accuracy. 14 interceptions is not good."

Hard to know the significance of interception stats. Were any heaves at the end of halves and games? Any off the hands of receivers who should have caught them. Busted routes? His reputation was accuracy.

Reaction Score
OLine you can "build" if you have guys who are athletic, willing to put in the work and built to handle the extra weight. We have been doing that for several years now. Tom O"Brien made a career of doing exactly the same thing at BC and is doing it again at NCState. You don't need lots of stars to develop great tackles and guards. Perfect world they don't see the field until they are sophomers so they have 2 years to develop. I'm very pleased with this group.

I'm with you for quarterback too. I think we are set up to have a very good starter for a couple of years with Whitmer, which gives Cochran time to really learn the system. In some ways I really tink Whitmer is the diamond in this group. his numbers were pretty impressive in the JUCO ranks. 3000 plus yards passing. 25 tds against 14 Interceptions.

As for Whitmer, it's even a little better Scoot, he actually has three years of eligibility remaining. So our QB situation should be much better going forward. I agree with you, as well, that Whitmer sounds like a real find for us!

Reaction Score
I agree we are a little thin on the D-line but that's why we are going to the 3-4. It is a lot easier to find LBs than D-linemen.

Actually 3-4 OLBs are not easy to find. They have to have size like a 4-3 DE (with fewer DLs they must directly take on blockers and set the edge) and the speed/ability to drop into coverage. It's become a problem in the NFL as more teams have gone to the 3-4 but the pool of potential outside linebackers is limited.

Reaction Score
Need playmakers. Would like to have seen at least one more RB (can never have enough depth at that position). See D. Brown, J Todman & Andre Dixon circa 2008 (that's what I'm taking about). Hopefully at WR, the transfers Phillips & McNeal will fill the bill . . . otherwise, gulp.

Reaction Score
I did not say it was easy to find LBs for the 3-4, but it is certainly easier than finding quality DTs. That is the reason the top DT usually wind up at the blue-chip programs. Most schools have to recruit a guy at another position who has a lot of growth potential (like Reyes). Finding OLBs and ILBs, or versatile DEs is easier.

Reaction Score
Should be interesting to see how the QB situation evolves but it looks like Johnny Trickshot might be the odd man out. What seals his fate for me was that horrid picture I have etched in my mind that typified the 2011 season where he had the ball taken out of his hands in the end zone for a defensive touchdown. It was embarrassing to watch as a fan. Whitmer seems to have the most experience but remember...that experience is in Juco ball. It isn't like the guy transferred from a D-1 program. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he produces as advertised. I hope McCummings and Nebrich "get mad" and prove they deserve this as much as anyone else. Cochran I hope redshirts, gets a nice jump on his schooling and comes out ready to take over in 2013.

I'm concerned that we still look thin at running back and couldn't close the deal on a couple guys slated for wide receiver and defensive back. I believe that's where the coaching shakeup is going to be. We've had a few guys make it to the NFL on D, one as a quarterback and a couple running backs but the Huskies might be getting the reputation that they can't develop NFL caliber receivers and that needs to be addressed.

Reaction Score
Should be interesting to see how the QB situation evolves but it looks like Johnny Trickshot might be the odd man out. What seals his fate for me was that horrid picture I have etched in my mind that typified the 2011 season where he had the ball taken out of his hands in the end zone for a defensive touchdown. It was embarrassing to watch as a fan. Whitmer seems to have the most experience but remember...that experience is in Juco ball. It isn't like the guy transferred from a D-1 program. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he produces as advertised. I hope McCummings and Nebrich "get mad" and prove they deserve this as much as anyone else. Cochran I hope redshirts, gets a nice jump on his schooling and comes out ready to take over in 2013.

I'm concerned that we still look thin at running back and couldn't close the deal on a couple guys slated for wide receiver and defensive back. I believe that's where the coaching shakeup is going to be. We've had a few guys make it to the NFL on D, one as a quarterback and a couple running backs but the Huskies might be getting the reputation that they can't develop NFL caliber receivers and that needs to be addressed.

I'd like to see the Huskies get the reputation for developing BCS caliber receivers (nevermind the NFL). Speed, hands, separation, athletic playmakers . . . on a consistent basis. Marcus Easley can be the prototype, but UConn needs more than 9 games in season after season. And . . . maybe to achieve that, you need a coach who will commit to a passing game and not treat it the way a pitcher treats an intentional walk (sometimes they're force to issue one, but it doesn't mean they like it).

As for Cochran, you mean that PP won't put him in during the first quarter of some D-1A game burning his redshirt, but then never really using him afterwards dispite horrible QB performances.

Reaction Score

If P expected JM to have a real shot at starting at QB again next year, he would have been offered a scholarship. The fact that he wasn't tells you that the coaches are fairly confident that either Nebrich or Whitner will be ahead of him, by a significant amount, when spring practice starts.

Reaction Score
If P expected JM to have a real shot at starting at QB again next year, he would have been offered a scholarship. The fact that he wasn't tells you that the coaches are fairly confident that either Nebrich or Whitner will be ahead of him, by a significant amount, when spring practice starts.

I wish I could believe that. But after his incomprehensible decisions at QB last year, who knows?

Reaction Score

I get your point and I agree, so don't be getting riled. Too bad, though, he didn't take steps to give Nebrich more experience once it became apparent that the 2011 ship had sailed. Let the kid take snaps. He couldn't have been worse (could he?).

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

So JM's financial situation, and fairly apparent team-first attitude doesn't explain his lack of scholarship? Really?

Reaction Score
I get your point and I agree, so don't be getting riled. Too bad, though, he didn't take steps to give Nebrich more experience once it became apparent that the 2011 ship had sailed. Let the kid take snaps. He couldn't have been worse (could he?).

A QB couldn't have been worse than JM last year? Sure he could have been.

Would Nebrich have been? That is a question to which we'll never know the answer. I tend to doubt it myself, but I wasn't at practice and will acknowledge that P's judgment on the matter was far more likely to have been correct than mine. P needs to do what he thinks increases our chances of winning. I'm sure that is what he was doing.

Reaction Score
I wish I could believe that. But after his incomprehensible decisions at QB last year, who knows?

I don't find the way it played out incomprehensible. Puzzling? At times. Producing less than stellar results? Absolutely. But to be fair, there are rational hypotheses, which have been put forth, to explain how what happened happened. But one of them is not that P risked losing JM this offseason thinking he'd be QB again, nor is one that P wasn't trying to maximize our chances to win games.

Reaction Score
So JM's financial situation, and fairly apparent team-first attitude doesn't explain his lack of scholarship? Really?

I don't see it. If I was coaching and I thought he might start, I'd be sending a message about his value to him and his teammates.

Could you be correct -- that it was just that JM didn't need or demand the schollie? Sure. But I'd be surprised.

Reaction Score
A QB couldn't have been worse than JM last year? Sure he could have been.

Would Nebrich have been? That is a question to which we'll never know the answer. I tend to doubt it myself, but I wasn't at practice and will acknowledge that P's judgment on the matter was far more likely to have been correct than mine. P needs to do what he thinks increases our chances of winning. I'm sure that is what he was doing.

Don't sell yourself short. After what I saw, I'm more incline to trust your judgement on this one ("I tend to doubt it myself") than P's. The QB was unacceptable and he, unfortunately, was the only one who could do something about it. . . and he stayed with it? (Reminds me of the old definition of insanity).

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I don't see it. If I was coaching and I thought he might start, I'd be sending a message about his value to him and his teammates.

Could you be correct -- that it was just that JM didn't need or demand the schollie? Sure. But I'd be surprised.

He stuck with him in the midst of a stinky QB season as a walk-on last year - I'd be willing to bet it's that simple. Wouldn't shock me in the slightest if JM was given option, and refused.

Reaction Score
P's judgment, with his experience and hours put in and access to practice, is far, far, far more likely to be right on a personnel matter than the judgment of anyone on the board.

I'm not saying he is right and you (or I or Pal) are wrong in every case, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion on a matter of opinion, but it would not be rational to think that you or I is more likely to be right.

My view fwiw.

Reaction Score
Coach Pasqualoni was left with THE worst situation you could be left in..... no, I mean absolutely no, experience at quarterback and no time to do anything about it. Keep in mind when he was hired and what is involved with putting a program together.

Reaction Score
Coach Pasqualoni was left with THE worst situation you could be left in..... no, I mean absolutely no, experience at quarterback and no time to do anything about it. Keep in mind when he was hired and what is involved with putting a program together.

And if he were a major league manager is he gonna stay with his starter after giving up 9 runs in two innings and loading the bases with no outs in the third? JM had ample chance and failed to generate an effective offense . . . next!!!

Reaction Score
I want my thread back! Please stop the self-absorbed bickering over last years QB's or start another thread hammering the guy you want to throw under the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom