Where is Gov. Malloy when UConn needs help in realignment? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where is Gov. Malloy when UConn needs help in realignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
my bad- wishful thinking on how she treated UCONN.

Reaction Score
Why would Malloy do anything when even the AD and President have been silent?

The whole state is treating this like the quiet game. Whoever stays silent the longest wins! Gotta make sure we don't say anything to upset the AAC for some reason...

And then when we don't get in, we'll be assured simultaneously that we did all we could do, and that nothing could be done

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

The whole state is treating this like the quiet game. Whoever stays silent the longest wins! Gotta make sure we don't say anything to upset the AAC for some reason...

And then when we don't get in, we'll be assured simultaneously that we did all we could do, and that nothing could be done

This whole process is going on behind closed doors. You and I have no way of knowing how the communications with Tranghese, Benedict, and Herbst and senior B12 officials/presidents/ADs are going. Staying silent has nothing to do with that.

The loud stuff has no bearing on any of this. Bob Bowlsby and David Boren aren't scrolling through their phones and picking schools based on which presidents are whoring themselves out on Twitter (Ono) or making rinky-dinky little maps (ECU). Online homers from B12 member schools and our competitors aren't making the decisions, the bigwigs are.

If anyone thinks that Benedict or Herbst publicly demanding an invite would make a difference, I have some beachfront property in North Dakota to sell you.

Reaction Score

Yeah, this entire post is inaccurate.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I said it before and ill say it again. If ya wanna hang with the good old boys you better start acting like a good old boy. Business and politcal pressures are needed. Ive seen the work done at espn firsthand. It would take a billion to move that facility. Lean on em, grease em, promise them a whole buncha crap youll never deliver. Kinda like how i got my wife.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this entire post is inaccurate.
What's inaccurate about it? You may disagree with how I feel about their silence, but the silence itself isn't debatable.

Benedict has done like 2 local interviews and said nothing in either of them.

Reaction Score
Letter dated July 12th? Was it embargoed till today (break glass if needed) or did they just find it. Strange timing IMO

Probably just did it quietly without the need to blast it in public or all over twitter like the desperate folks (Houston, ECU). Perhaps Malloy did the same thing.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Before discounting the importance of Obama et. al., just remember where most grants come from -- the federal government. No university -- especially the ones that do a lot of research -- wants to disregard a friendly call from a current, former or future president or their high-placed representative.
Presidential candidates, and congress may sometimes push for more research in a particular field or a big project like the human genome or the precision medicine initiative or the cancer moonshot. Sometimes politicians will put out a press release about a particular study in social science, say, something about teen pregnancy rates and sex ed and prophylactics, and then use that as a sound byte for social conservatives. They might do earmarks for their home district (I think they got rid of earmarks though obviously there are other huge issues). But politicians do not get involved in the awarding of grants to this university or that.

Reaction Score
Presidential candidates, and congress may sometimes push for more research in a particular field or a big project like the human genome or the precision medicine initiative or the cancer moonshot. Sometimes politicians will put out a press release about a particular study in social science, say, something about teen pregnancy rates and sex ed and prophylactics, and then use that as a sound byte for social conservatives. They might do earmarks for their home district (I think they got rid of earmarks though obviously there are other huge issues). But politicians do not get involved in the awarding of grants to this university or that.

Oh really. Here is one example from The Courant last year: Saying Connecticut has shouldered "more of the cuts than other states," U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy has urged the head of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to restore funding for cancer and other disease research at Yale University and other institutions.

Murphy Pushes NIH To Increase Research Funding To State

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'm a Green/Democrat... and I will say that we do not want Malloy in the middle of this for reasons of perception, reminding them that we are 'blue' or because he will f-it up. Let's keep this about economics because there is no political play here for us; we just need to point out the value we bring relative to the other candidates and subtley remind the non-TX schools how to much more power UT gets if they take UH as part of a +2.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Oh really. Here is one example from The Courant last year: Saying Connecticut has shouldered "more of the cuts than other states," U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy has urged the head of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to restore funding for cancer and other disease research at Yale University and other institutions.

Murphy Pushes NIH To Increase Research Funding To State
Which is not the same thing as urging the NIH to remove funding for, say, UT-Austin.

Reaction Score
I'm a Green/Democrat... and I will say that we do not want Malloy in the middle of this for reasons of perception, reminding them that we are 'blue' or because he will f-it up. Let's keep this about economics because there is no political play here for us; we just need to point out the value we bring relative to the other candidates and subtley remind the non-TX schools how to much more power UT gets if they take UH as part of a +2.
The political play is you make it clear to ESPN they put UConn in a P5 or there will be a new revenue enhancement on sports network ad revenue to help maintain UConn athletics which will be about the 2x the cost to ESPN as UConn moving to the Big12. It's time we started playing hard ball with folks that have undermined this state's flagship school. I would make it clear that there are plenty of creative ways to not make it worth their while. If Connecticut is good for anything it's that it has mastered the game of bleeding people dry through taxes, courtesy of 25 years of blue state mismanagement.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I am noticing pitchforks...

Except he's not running for re-election and may not make it through this term. He's angling to be Hillary's transportation secretary.

Reaction Score
Except he's not running for re-election and may not make it through this term. He's angling to be Hillary's transportation secretary.
What is his woefully unqualified budget director/bitch boy Ben Barnes gonna do then?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What is his woefully unqualified budget director/bitch boy Ben Barnes gonna do then?

Be the woefully unqualified budget director for the next governor, duh!

Reaction Score
I would sooner ask my representative to the Pyithu Hluttaw (Myanmar House of Representatives) in Nay Pyi Taw to help than the sad sack governor of Connecticut. (Note that this is not a political comment, just a personal one concerning my opinion of His Excellency.) I trust that things are working out as well as can be given the UConn administration's quiet dedication to the task (I hope.)

Reaction Score
ESPN doesn't have a strong incentive to support us (or any AAC team) to the B12 because it already owns the content. Why pay more for the same thing?

Threatening punitive special taxes against ESPN isn't going to help anything.

Instead, get ESPN to question their assumption that UConn would stick around and earn money for them in the AAC. Any excuse is fine - state budget, whatever. If ESPN thinks we might do something rash like bolt to FOX and the Big East if the B12 train leaves without us, that changes the $ calculus for them.

We are worth more to them in the B12 than on FOX. Sell them on that being the choice. Also mention that the climate for business incentives is better with UConn in a P5 conference. If UConn is left behind, future state support for ESPN could become politically problematic.

Reaction Score
Letter dated July 12th? Was it embargoed till today (break glass if needed) or did they just find it. Strange timing IMO

If it was in the past couple days, it would certainly not be consistent with the reports of Cincy being invited already. The fact that it's 3 weeks ago leads to conclude otherwise. It's interesting as Kasich and Gee are very tight from his days at Osu where Kasich is from. It might be a cya move from Kasich for his southern ohio support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom