Where is Gov. Malloy when UConn needs help in realignment? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where is Gov. Malloy when UConn needs help in realignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's business.

The state has been good to ESPN and they are partners.

It's not out of line for one partner to call the other and say, "Hey, I see you guys are doing this and it really seems like you left us hanging previously, so how about you go to bat for your home state school?"

If that doesn't happen - and we will never know if it does - Malloy should be tarred and feathered.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It's business.

The state has been good to ESPN and they are partners.

It's not out of line for one partner to call the other and say, "Hey, I see you guys are doing this and it really seems like you left us hanging previously, so how about you go to bat for your home state school?"

If that doesn't happen - and we will never know if it does - Malloy should be tarred and feathered.

That's easy and it seems to me that is all that can be done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The U.S. is launching airstrikes in Libya right now, but sure, let's get President Obama on the phone to weigh in on Big 12 expansion.

Jesus.
You're right of course, but could we at least retask a drone to Irving, Tx? You know, just in case.

Reaction Score
As was stated before on this thread Gov. Boren was a long-time Democratic senator -- and I think he would be glad to take a friendly call from the White House. This has nothing to do with Blumenthal's lawsuit insanity from before. This is friendly politics. I am sure you guys remember that recently retired Univ. Miami President Donna Shalala was a cabinet member in the Clinton administration. She is worth a call too. There are many others, too. State universities tend to have politically active people on their boards of trustees.

Reaction Score
Here is what Va. Gov. Mark Warner said in 2003. “I believe very strongly that any realignment of the Big East or the ACC needs to include Virginia Tech in a major conference,” Mr. Warner said when expansion talks began last month. “If the ACC chooses to expand — particularly if they choose to expand by three members — it should include Virginia Tech. I am going to do all that I can to make that happen.”

Warner uses clout to aid Tech tussle
The Va Governor had leverage of potential loss of funding ,support etc. In the end the ACC did the right thing even if it was for the wrong reason

Reaction Score
As was stated before on this thread Gov. Boren was a long-time Democratic senator -- and I think he would be glad to take a friendly call from the White House. This has nothing to do with Blumenthal's lawsuit insanity from before. This is friendly politics. I am sure you guys remember that recently retired Univ. Miami President Donna Shalala was a cabinet member in the Clinton administration. She is worth a call too. There are many others, too. State universities tend to have politically active people on their boards of trustees.

I'm pretty sure Donna Shalala was named in the Big East lawsuit back in 2003. I'm sure she's not going out of her way to help UConn.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Please enlighten me: what does the governor of the state of CT have to hold over the head of the Big XII conference so that they must take UConn? Because taking away ESPN's tax credits ain't gonna do anything for the BXII. They couldn't care less if ESPN has to pay their taxes. They have a signed contract so they won't pay the BXII less if they have to pay the state of CT more.

It's hard to use leverage when you dont have any.

ESPN: "We don't want to pay the Big 12 $1B to add 4 teams."

Malloy: "Tell you what, if UConn is added (and they support the necessary data), we will soften that blow for you."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Malloy: "Tell you what, if UConn is added (and they support the necessary data), we will soften that blow for you."
Ha - like CT has any funny money to spend - have you seen the state budget lately? :eek:

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Mark Warner - a real son of Connecticut. I wish he stayed here as our Governor. In the meantime, maybe we're better off not reminding people who our elected politicians are.
Not going to downplay Warner's efforts, but he did have one very useful club and he used it....

He pressured the living crap out of UVA (I heard that there was state funding involved, depending upon outcomes) to make sure that the ACC invited VaTech

Reaction Score
Many people on this thread have pointed out how UConn joining a P5 conference will provide long-term financial benefits to both UConn and to the state of Connecticut. Given these financial benefits, maybe Malloy has to find some money now. The state will have to find money to expand the Rent if UConn gets into the B12 or another conference -- that is almost a given.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The state has spent BILLIONS in upgrading UConn's campus, infrastructure and FBS football upgrade. This funding support has been going on for well over a decade.

The state of CT also has given ESPN close to $200M for their campus renovation/expansion projects to go digital. ESPN also enjoys a $26M/yr tax credit.

BILLIONS UConn money > Millions ESPN money. Connecticut has to protect its financial investments and its taxpayers.

It is simple. If ESPN continues to lock out UConn, CT closes the tax credit. If ESPN wants to re-locate...well, bye. Have fun laying off even more workforce and incurring the costs to re-locate operations to another location.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The state has spent BILLIONS in upgrading UConn's campus, infrastructure and FBS football upgrade. This funding support has been going on for well over a decade.

The state of CT also has given ESPN close to $200M for their campus renovation/expansion projects to go digital. ESPN also enjoys a $26M/yr tax credit.

BILLIONS UConn money > Millions ESPN money. Connecticut has to protect its financial investments and its taxpayers.

It is simple. If ESPN continues to lock out UConn, CT closes the tax credit. If ESPN wants to re-locate...well, bye. Have fun laying off even more workforce and incurring the costs to re-locate operations to another location.

They will get a new tax credit and subsidy in another state to cover the transition. They will also move to a state with lower utilities, lower taxes, lower insurance costs (health/workers comp/general liability) and lower salaries. They will be fine and we'll be screwed holding the bag with more job losses.

Reaction Score
They will get a new tax credit and subsidy in another state to cover the transition. They will also move to a state with lower utilities, lower taxes, lower insurance costs (health/workers comp/general liability) and lower salaries. They will be fine and we'll be screwed holding the bag with more job losses.

And all of that will still wind up costing them exponentially more than had they just pushed the B12 to add UConn.

Reaction Score

It would cost them over a $1 Billion to start over and find enough qualified employees. It ain't happening.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I don't care. It is a matter of principle at this point. Connecticut taxpayers help fund ESPN campus renovations/expansions and the move to a digital studio. It's time for them to scratch our back now. ESPN's claim is that there are no P5 worthy schools. That statement is 100% false. We all know UConn and BYU have supported P5 data for years.

I want ESPN to share their market research data and compare it with Navigate and BHV's findings. If all 3 show UConn as being some small-time G5 quality upstart, then fine, I'll stop beating this drum. ESPN has taken my money and given me absolutely nothing in return.

Reaction Score

Not sure if Shalala would help if she could. She was mighty P.O.ed at UConn and our AG when, they were named and, I believe individuals associated with the U were also named by him in the first lawsuit.

Reaction Score
I wish this and the initial ACC raid on the BE were an apple to apples comparison. At the time of the initial ACC raid, the ACC needed eight votes in favor to approve expansion (there were ten members and a minimum of 75% was required). Duke & UNC were against it, all others in favor. The governor of Virginia threatened to take state funding from UVA and distribute it to Va Tech if the ACC expanded without including Va Tech. The ACC then changed the schools being voted upon from Miami, Cuse & BC to Miami & Va Tech in order to get expansion to pass.

What exactly can Malloy do in this matter beyond giving ESPN an excuse to pack up and take a ton of jobs to Orlando?

Minor point but after FSU agreed to join in 1990, it became the ACC's 9th team - they needed to add 3 in 2003 to get to 12 so they could have a CCG like the SEC and Big 12 were doing at the time. I think there were two no votes as you wrote and 75% was needed. In 1990 I think it was Duke and Maryland who voted against expanding to 9 schools - 6 out of 8 voted yes so that would have been 75%.

With regard to current events, I do think the Big 12 is going to add 4 now from what some of them have said prior to the recent decision - something about taking advantage of the contract - and I think Boren and OU are in the driver's seat on this issue.

Reaction Score

More like

Malloy: I have no idea about UConn to a p5 league but no one better mess with transgender bathroom usage. We will boycott you!

Reaction Score
Not sure if Shalala would help if she could. She was mighty P.O.ed at UConn and our AG when, they were named and, I believe individuals associated with the U were also named by him in the first lawsuit.

I live in Miami. Shalala hated us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not. She had a stroke in 2015, but is very much alive.
She's not the Chancellor anymore:

In 2015, Shalala was named to head the Clinton Foundation. She followed her tenure as president of the University of Miami with being named chief executive officer of the Foundation. According to the New York Times, Chelsea Clinton helped persuade Shalala to leave the Miami position, move to New York and head the foundation.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom