Where is Gov. Malloy when UConn needs help in realignment? | The Boneyard

Where is Gov. Malloy when UConn needs help in realignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some other colleges were helped out in a major way by their top state officials, such as Gov. Mark Warner helping Virginia Tech into the ACC, when they were trying to get into a new athletic conference. Where is CT Gov. Dan Malloy? He supposedly has made friends with President Obama and the Clintons. Those kind of contacts can help put pressure on those who make decisions about joining the Big12, ACC or Big 10. Beyond that, the last time I checked ESPN is located in CT.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Perhaps he looked at all the love generated by Blumenthal's all out effort to save UConn's investment in big time athletics, and decided you weasels weren't worth it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I actually think that this might have been the time for quiet meeting with ESPN noting that that we'd remember their support if they got us on last lifeboat.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Please enlighten me: what does the governor of the state of CT have to hold over the head of the Big XII conference so that they must take UConn? Because taking away ESPN's tax credits ain't gonna do anything for the BXII. They couldn't care less if ESPN has to pay their taxes. They have a signed contract so they won't pay the BXII less if they have to pay the state of CT more.

It's hard to use leverage when you dont have any.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Our governor is doing exactly what he should be doing in terms of this, sitting with his thumb up his backside out of the range of anyone who has anything to do with this.

This buffoon would screw this up quicker than Bill Clinton could proposition an intern.

Reaction Score
I disagree, he should have a private meeting with ESPN on the matter as we are working partners in the State of Connecticut. Whats good for UCONN is good for the rest of the State

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Please enlighten me: what does the governor of the state of CT have to hold over the head of the Big XII conference so that they must take UConn? Because taking away ESPN's tax credits ain't gonna do anything for the BXII. They couldn't care less if ESPN has to pay their taxes. They have a signed contract so they won't pay the BXII less if they have to pay the state of CT more.

1) You can't take away the tax credit, it's a done deal.
2) If you don't think that a lot of CR happens in the margins, you haven't been paying attention. If that weren't true, we'd already be in the ACC.
3) CT states that it will appreciate ESPN's help in getting UConn to the Big 12 (marker).
4) ESPN tells the Big 12 yeah you can pick whomever you want, but we'd prefer that you pick CT (marker).

What the value of those markers is is unknown, but it it's not zero.

Reaction Score
Here is what Va. Gov. Mark Warner said in 2003. “I believe very strongly that any realignment of the Big East or the ACC needs to include Virginia Tech in a major conference,” Mr. Warner said when expansion talks began last month. “If the ACC chooses to expand — particularly if they choose to expand by three members — it should include Virginia Tech. I am going to do all that I can to make that happen.”

Warner uses clout to aid Tech tussle

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Here is what Va. Gov. Mark Warner said in 2003. “I believe very strongly that any realignment of the Big East or the ACC needs to include Virginia Tech in a major conference,” Mr. Warner said when expansion talks began last month. “If the ACC chooses to expand — particularly if they choose to expand by three members — it should include Virginia Tech. I am going to do all that I can to make that happen.”

I'm doing all I can do, too. Don't worry guys.

Reaction Score
For the love of God keep CT politicians out of this

Do you really think throwing those 3 names around would help UConn. Look at the current ratings of each! Two have run up the largest deficits ever in their respective budgets, and not many people trust the third.

Connecticut politicians really helped us in the past. (review 2003 and Blumenthal)

Too bad Connecticut isn't business friendly, from the giant corps to the mom and pop shops.

Otherwise, maybe you would see "brands" national brands headquartered in Ct like P&W, Aetna, Cigna, Electric Boat, supporting the state's flagship school line Fed Ex supports Memphis, and Macy's supports Cincinnati.........and then again, maybe some of those will abandon Ct like GE.

Reaction Score
I actually think that this might have been the time for quiet meeting with ESPN noting that that we'd remember their support if they got us on last lifeboat.

Of course, by definition we don't hear about quiet meetings. So we have no idea whether Malloy has actually done everything he could possibly do or stayed out of it altogether.

Reaction Score
Before discounting the importance of Obama et. al., just remember where most grants come from -- the federal government. No university -- especially the ones that do a lot of research -- wants to disregard a friendly call from a current, former or future president or their high-placed representative.

Reaction Score
I don't think Malloy would have good contacts with the Governors in the Big 10, Big 12, or ACC. In the Big 12, 9/10 of the schools are in Red states. In the Big 10, 12/14 of the schools are in Red states. In the ACC, 11/14 schools are in Red states. He should just keep his mouth shut.

Reaction Score
Being a Democrat and an extreme Democratic state has only hurt UConn from day 1 in conf realignment. CFB is largely a red state game. Plus, the other politicians from CT who acted have only hurt in the past as well

This a stupid take. Boren at Oklahoma was a Democratic Congressman, Governor and US Senator for 3 decades.

During the last round of realignment in 2011 the governors of Maryland and Kentucky were both Democrats, didn't seem to hurt their chances.

Reaction Score

Mark Warner - a real son of Connecticut. I wish he stayed here as our Governor. In the meantime, maybe we're better off not reminding people who our elected politicians are.

Reaction Score

The mayor or Bristol ,snowplowing and garbage ,and the heads of local utilities have more clout than Malloy . Connecticut hadn't produced an effective politician since John Bailey .

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I wish this and the initial ACC raid on the BE were an apple to apples comparison. At the time of the initial ACC raid, the ACC needed eight votes in favor to approve expansion (there were ten members and a minimum of 75% was required). Duke & UNC were against it, all others in favor. The governor of Virginia threatened to take state funding from UVA and distribute it to Va Tech if the ACC expanded without including Va Tech. The ACC then changed the schools being voted upon from Miami, Cuse & BC to Miami & Va Tech in order to get expansion to pass.

What exactly can Malloy do in this matter beyond giving ESPN an excuse to pack up and take a ton of jobs to Orlando?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What exactly can Malloy do in this matter beyond giving ESPN an excuse to pack up and take a ton of jobs to Orlando?
<--Good point about a move out.

We can't change the fact that ESPN's culture is largely built on Syracuse and non UConn grads. Malloy can't influence this, he doesn't have a bargaining chips to play from our state's weak financial position.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Exactly. Connecticut doesn't have a second public school already in this league. Connecticut doesn't have the desire to build a UConn campus in Houston. What is Malloy supposed to do? He has no political leverage here. Always makes me laugh when people want politicians to "get things done" in instances in which they have no authority.

Reaction Score
I wish this and the initial ACC raid on the BE were an apple to apples comparison. At the time of the initial ACC raid, the ACC needed eight votes in favor to approve expansion (there were ten members and a minimum of 75% was required). Duke & UNC were against it, all others in favor. The governor of Virginia threatened to take state funding from UVA and distribute it to Va Tech if the ACC expanded without including Va Tech. The ACC then changed the schools being voted upon from Miami, Cuse & BC to Miami & Va Tech in order to get expansion to pass.

How about calling his buddy Obama

Exactly. Connecticut doesn't have a second public school already in this league. Connecticut doesn't have the desire to build a UConn campus in Houston. What is Malloy supposed to do? He has no political leverage here. Always makes me laugh when people want politicians to "get things done" in instances in which they have no authority.

How about Malloy calling the White House and then having Obama or Valerie Jarrett -- or even Bill Clinton -- make a friendly call on UConn's behalf?

Reaction Score
How about calling his buddy Obama

How about Malloy calling the White House and then having Obama or Valerie Jarrett -- or even Bill Clinton -- make a friendly call on UConn's behalf?

Really to who? Who the hell is going to listen to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom