When is "Lurker Day"?.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When is "Lurker Day"?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm stuck on a more basic piece. I still can't figure out how women's bb teams are on the court and playing man to man!

It's like freshmen, sportsmanship, manhole covers, etc. The English language just can't always be gender neutral.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's like freshmen, sportsmanship, manhole covers, etc. The English language just can't always be gender neutral.
I have to love a poster named Kibitzer giving me a serious answer. Of course you would have to realize that I was embellishing a tongue in cheek post made by BroadwayVa and if you didn't see that connection the humor could be lost.

Nonetheless, I have to love the situation where Doris is announcing and says Moriah lost her man. Oops bad example. More likely where she said Saniya lost her man. Could easily say lost her women. It would sound odd at first, but not after continuous usage. No different than the change in our perception of clothing. As an example we no longer say the man wears the pants in the family. That was oh so fifties. Now its becoming acceptable to say the man wears the dress in the family.

I guess our culture is becoming gender transitioned and language is like Saniya, a step behind the cultural change.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am a lurker. I come to this site for information about UCONN women basketball. Wonderful job posters! Thank you! Why do I not post? My posts were either ignored or picked on. This is a good old boys club. Fine with me- now you are ranking on lurkers. Life is too short- enjoy Uconn basketball!
I agree. Enjoy life. So Post and don't worry about being ignored. It works for me. I've been ignored 3,600 times and still enjoy a good post now and then.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Why are warships referred to as feminine (e.g., "She is a great ship") except when they are referred to as a "Man o' War."

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Iowafan said:
Over the years I have enjoyed following women's college basketball. I was attracted to Connecticut's team because they are fun to watch and bring a lot of enthusiasm to the game. I increased my interest in following Connecticut when Kiah Stokes became a Huskie from Iowa. Those of you who have been fans forever ...were there other players from Iowa who were Huskies? Thanks for all who share about women's basketball especially about the Huskies.

I grew up in Cedar Rapids.....you?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why are warships referred to as feminine (e.g., "She is a great ship") except when they are referred to as a "Man o' War."
That was a horse. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA