When did the UConn "dynasty" start? | The Boneyard

When did the UConn "dynasty" start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Encountering a 1997 Tournament article in the Daily News about a big and undefeated Husky team's lumbering passage through a season and early Tourney games, I was kind of surprised to see that UConn was already being called a dynasty after one NC, and that a connected old-girl network of opposing coaches including CViv, her Iowa coaching replacement Angie Lee and assorted others (though ex-Rutgers coach Theresa Grentz whose Illinois team the Huskies had just beaten thanks to inspired play by Ber-uuuuuu-be had no bad words for Geno and just complained about her team's bunnies that refused to hop in the basket, probably waiting for Easter).

The article states:

The oversized players and their outspoken coach have become the sport's most invasive dynasty. "In a way, we're like the underdog because everybody wants to see us lose," Wolters said. "Day in and day out, that's the way it is. We always need to elevate our game.

So UConn's dynasty appears to have started before Duke's, at least in the minds of some writers.

What do you think? When did the dynasty get certified?

Reaction Score
I would say that it was certified when they returned to the Final Four the year after the previous year's NPOY Rebecca Lobo graduated.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Maybe, but if UConn fans had started talking about a "dynasty" back in the fall of 1985, the level of snickerage would have been voluminous in comparison to Duke's later claims. There is a difference between tracing a tradition back to its source, and having it officially recognized as certifiably existing. Would any UConn fan be comfortable with talking about that powerful certified UConn dynasty of 1985? Seems kind of far-fetched to call a 12-15 team a dynasty.

An NC and one connected FF as certification of a dynasty would allow Texas fans and -- if a gap year is allowed -- Purdue, Baylor, and Old Dominion fans talk about a dynasty in addition to a pretty certified group of UConn, UTenn, Louisiana Tech, USC, and Stanford (2 NCs and 1 FF in 3 years). With two NCs and an FF spread over 8 years, Baylor might have a case for a dynasty.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Agree with the 2000 assessment.

If Shea hadn't been injured in 1997 and UConn won, I'd say 1995.

mr006

Reaction Score
Agree with the 2000 assessment.

If Shea hadn't been injured in 1997 and UConn won, I'd say 1995.

Alas, she was, and between Tenn's three-peat (c) and the (ugh) Iowa State game in 1999, hard to agree with the article calling them a "dynasty" then. So easy to be crowning the next big thing - kinda like the media always waiting for the next Beatles.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Alas, she was, and between Tenn's three-peat (c) and the (ugh) Iowa State game in 1999, hard to agree with the article calling them a "dynasty" then. So easy to be crowning the next big thing - kinda like the media always waiting for the next Beatles.

You mean you missed the Rutles? Didn't groove to 'Cheese and Onions?'

Too bad. You were probably just wrapped up in the Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom