When are we going to get a statement from BD... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

When are we going to get a statement from BD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the timing was terrible. No one wants to get news they lost their job at this time of the year. I acknowledge it was probably the only decision and he was a failure. But that's still terrible news to get on the day after Christmas.

C

Chief00

You'll hear it when he lands his new job and someone asks him. But he failed miserably here, and he knows it. No one but a potential employer and a UConn fan really cares why.
I agree with most of your posts in this thread but I question if Diaco has the self awareness to realize he failed miserably? If reports are true that the tipping point was his inability to take coaching himself on making changes - then I don't think he believes he failed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the timing was terrible. No one wants to get news they lost their job at this time of the year. I acknowledge it was probably the only decision and he was a failure. But that's still terrible news to get on the day after Christmas.

100% his fault.

When you walk away with 3 million after going 8-24 against the FBS in the frigging American..

He thought he had the leverage. He didn't. I love Benedict.

Reaction Score
100% his fault.

When you walk away with 3 million after going 8-24 against the FBS in the frigging American..

He thought he had the leverage. He didn't. I love Benedict.

I totally agree. It looks like he opened his mouth and continued down the path of square peg round hole. Even with the money, I'm just saying sucks losing your job during the holidays. I just wish DB forced the issues sooner.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I totally agree. It looks like he opened his mouth and continued down the path of square peg round hole. Even with the money, I'm just saying sucks losing your job during the holidays. I just wish DB forced the issues sooner.

That's my point. DB set the Kill trap and Diaco stepped in it. The timing is Diaco's fault.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The guy is so arrogant, egotistical and delusional that he thought he was "spectacularly insulated" from getting the rug pulled out from under him. He obviously misread the fact that buyout money was just a phone call or two away. His public comments at season's end proved he had no clue what position he was in, or he was in total denial. Then he arrogantly refused to go along with the Kill hire, sealing his own fate.

While my first inclination was to think the administration deliberately timed it the way they did for effect, thinking about it now, whether they did or they didn't, my thought is if they really did he deserved every bit of it.

The guy has some serious psychological issues to sort out. Hopefully he'll do something about it someday. Thankfully that's going to be somebody else's problem.

Reaction Score

Football coaches don't get fired in August -- they get fired in December. I don't think the search for the OC had anything to do with this. I think DB would have fired him the day after the season but he didn't have the money to do it or the authority to do it without the money, and he fired him as soon as he had raised the money. Given recruiting reopens on 1/12 (I think), had he not raised the money for another 10 days he would have been stuck with diaco for another year.

But he can't say "I fired him as soon as I raised the money" because it makes us look small time.

Reaction Score
There is plenty of evidence that Diaco isn't as great a guy as many people claim.

Plenty.

YES. Unfortunately, this is now coming out ... in leaks here and there. He apparently wasn't nice amongst other UConn coaches; and given the lack of years in his HC career, that is amazing. UConn - for all purposes - has lifers in their roles in Stevens and Tsantiris and Reid and Auriemma and Daley etc etc. It was interesting that the Diaco family put $250k to the facilities and then you hear these things.

then ... the media. We have a bunch of squeaky wheels. They squeal some when they cover the Team; Calhoun often was a target. But ... they have a sense of entitlement that they hide because they are needy and can't get cut off.

Reaction Score
Meaning it's fine for you to take shots at Diaco when you didn't bother to look to see whether what you were saying is true, but when someone else knows that you criticized before you checked it's "sass" to point that out to you?

People have a very odd belief about the internet -- they somehow think that any criticism, unfounded or not, about other people is fair, but they don't think they are subject to criticism for what they say. I truly don't get this.

Well said. Probably one of the best and fairest posts I've ever read on the Boneyard!

Reaction Score
YES. Unfortunately, this is now coming out ... in leaks here and there. He apparently wasn't nice amongst other UConn coaches; and given the lack of years in his HC career, that is amazing. UConn - for all purposes - has lifers in their roles in Stevens and Tsantiris and Reid and Auriemma and Daley etc etc. It was interesting that the Diaco family put $250k to the facilities and then you hear these things.

then ... the media. We have a bunch of squeaky wheels. They squeal some when they cover the Team; Calhoun often was a target. But ... they have a sense of entitlement that they hide because they are needy and can't get cut off.

I always saw the potential in Diaco and was a fan of his organizational skills and attention to detail. He may one day become a successful head coach at the FBS level but before that happens he needs to take this hard life lesson and learn from his mistakes. It's apparent to me that he made incorrect judgements and assessments in a number of areas. # 1 was selection of Key staff members. Verducci was the WRONG guy. I will never understand that decision. He also proved to be thinned skinned and quite frankly disingenuous in many situations with the press. I can see now how that came across as arrogance to many fans. I can also see how many got tired of the undeserved praise and "love" he gave his players. Actions always speak louder than words.

Hopefully his failures will help him mature and improve. Diaco's career can go one of two ways from here. First off, if I were him, I would take my 3.4 Million and go for a long vacation/sabbatical and really think about and assess the past 3 years. He can learn from his mistakes. He will have other opportunities to prove himself. Obviously if he doesn't make an honest assessment an listen to what his trusted advisors say then his coaching career could fizzle out. He may want to give sports broadcasting a shot. He has the good looks and personality to do pretty well.

Reaction Score
He wanted to make a statement but he is still looking for his last time out since he forgot that he burned them all before kickoff.

Reaction Score
I always saw the potential in Diaco and was a fan of his organizational skills and attention to detail. He may one day become a successful head coach at the FBS level but before that happens he needs to take this hard life lesson and learn from his mistakes. It's apparent to me that he made incorrect judgements and assessments in a number of areas. # 1 was selection of Key staff members. Verducci was the WRONG guy. I will never understand that decision. He also proved to be thinned skinned and quite frankly disingenuous in many situations with the press. I can see now how that came across as arrogance to many fans. I can also see how many got tired of the undeserved praise and "love" he gave his players. Actions always speak louder than words.

Hopefully his failures will help him mature and improve. Diaco's career can go one of two ways from here. First off, if I were him, I would take my 3.4 Million and go for a long vacation/sabbatical and really think about and assess the past 3 years. He can learn from his mistakes. He will have other opportunities to prove himself. Obviously if he doesn't make an honest assessment an listen to what his trusted advisors say then his coaching career could fizzle out. He may want to give sports broadcasting a shot. He has the good looks and personality to do pretty well.

I can't see how any school would be dumb enough to give him the keys again.

He embarrassed the school with his civil conflict, and he didn't win games. He's a liability in every department.

Reaction Score
I can't see how any school would be dumb enough to give him the keys again.

He embarrassed the school with his civil conflict, and he didn't win games. He's a liability in every department.

For some the school of hard knocks is the best teacher. He needs to recover from this recent crash mentally before he should consider any possible opportunities. He may simply need to start over as a position/linebacker coach somewhere and then go from there. Like Pasqualoni and DeLeone, he will land somewhere.

Reaction Score
For some the school of hard knocks is the best teacher. He needs to recover from this recent crash mentally before he should consider any possible opportunities. He may simply need to start over as a position/linebacker coach somewhere and then go from there. Like Pasqualoni and DeLeone, he will land somewhere.

Pasqualoni was actually successful for a time, that is until the game passed him by. Diaco never experienced any success as a head coach.

Reaction Score

"Organizational skills and attention to detail" only matters when you expend time and energy on things that will actually improve your program ...

Reaction Score
"Organizational skills and attention to detail" only matters when you expend time and energy on things that will actually improve your program ...
Or if you hire an exceptional staff

Reaction Score
Snake oil talker just takes UConn $3.4M for not working and skips town. No apology necessary. Articulate Incompetent 11-26 3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom