What's your prediction for the Big 12 expansion announcement? | The Boneyard

What's your prediction for the Big 12 expansion announcement?

What's your prediction for the Big 12 expansion announcement?

• Expand by 2 UConn included

• Expand by 2 without UConn

• Expand by 4 UConn included

• Expand by 4 without UConn

• Does not expand gets ESPN payoff

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Twitteratti and the media have had their say, why not us?

I'll start us off. We're doomed.

Expand by 4 without UConn

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to agree with you at this point, that we're not getting in. In the end, geography will hurt and Diaco just hasn't gotten us far enough along in the rebuild yet.

I'll say they expand by 2, and add UC and BYU for an East/West divisional split.

Fox/ESPN are somewhat placated by just a 2-team addition, and BYU brings good football and a lot of eyes. UC for some reason just has always had a ton of momentum despite being unspectacular (though solid) at all sports. I think they get in, and Texas can shrug and tell the government "hey we tried, could only get 2 adds and UH didn't have the votes".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My prediction: ESPN and Fox pay the Big 12 $50MM+ more per year and eliminate the pro rata clause from the Big 12 contract.

No teams added.

Reaction Score
My prediction: ESPN and Fox pay the Big 12 $50MM+ more per year and eliminate the pro rata clause from the Big 12 contract.

No teams added.
To me that doesn't make any sense. If you're going to pay out that much, why not at least get some more content out of it? You could add 2 teams and pay exactly the same amount of money, even if you don't particularly like the additions. It's a free bet that the 2 adds will improve

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I predict that the Big 12 and its media partners will come to an agreement whereby the conference expands by 2. I think the consultants 12- team plan is the one they go with, and ESPN/FOX have a say in the picking of the schools. Ultimately, I think UConn and BYU (for most sports that they can including basketball and football) will be the two chosen for brand. The Big 12 has already shifted its MBB tourney final to Saturday so BYU could bring basketball along as well.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
To me that doesn't make any sense. If you're going to pay out that much, why not at least get some more content out of it? You could add 2 teams and pay exactly the same amount of money, even if you don't particularly like the additions. It's a free bet that the 2 adds will improve

Don't forget that they already have the media rights to a majority of the expansion candidates. There isnt much benefit to ESPN to pay an additional $75-$100M a year for the stuff they own for $6-8M now. Then they have to pay whoever the American decides to expand with.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Don't forget that they already have the media rights to a majority of the expansion candidates. There isnt much benefit to ESPN to pay an additional $75-$100M a year for the stuff they own for $6-8M now. Then they have to pay whoever the American decides to expand with.

...but they'll pay the AAC much less, based on provisions for leavers, depending on who they are. It still won't net out to 0, but it will soften the blow.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid they will take Cincy for OU, UofH for Texas and stop at 12 for ESPN, but I really hope OU likes UConn just as much as they like Cincy and that ESPN encourages them to opt for UConn over Cincy because of the better market. Meanwhile Texas will likely bluster about having to fly a little further but secretly smile because UConn is much better academically.

Reaction Score
4 in not including UConn. Until Rule #1 of Realignment is broken, I can't foresee anything else.

Although logic would indicate this is the least likely scenario, Rule #1 rules out.

In reality, I think the most likely is that it is two teams not including us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
...but they'll pay the AAC much less, based on provisions for leavers, depending on who they are. It still won't net out to 0, but it will soften the blow.

The AAC is bargain basement already. If they cut the revenue any more, half the AD's in the league would resemble MAC athletic departments. ESPN has too many content gaps to fill to want that to happen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There are a lot of ways you could structure it. Maybe it is $40 to the whole league, and $20 in guaranteed purchases of Tier 3 content, so ESPN gets some additional P5 content that way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

No teams added.
Sorry Nelson. I should have included that as an option.

I put it up there for you now.

Reaction Score

No teams added.

So the 10 teams get $5 mill a year instead of at least $15 mill a year by adding 4? What am I missing?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So the 10 teams get $5 mill a year instead of at least $15 mill a year by adding 4? What am I missing?

If they added 4, the Big 12 would get about $15MM per new team added per year, or $60 million a year. Or they could just take a check from ESPN for some amount and not add anyone. I think Texas will vote for money and no additions, but I hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
If they added 4, the Big 12 would get about $15MM per new team added per year, or $60 million a year. Or they could just take a check from ESPN for some amount and not add anyone. I think Texas will vote for money and no additions, but I hope I am wrong.

So the numbers (I think I saw) of $25 mill per team or $100 mill times 8 years is not true?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm holding off on any predictions until Friday. I think the B12 will give the AAC a few days for its media event and then start leaking info again at the end of the week.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
BYU, Cincinnati, UConn, and Houston/Memphis.

I rate that as having a 51% chance of happening. There's a 49% chance of no UConn invitation.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I feel like if ESPN has their way that's what's going to happen.

ESPN has done nothing but slit our throats for 15 years and you think they're going to push us in as one of two schools with Cincinnati?

Wow. I wish I had your faith.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I feel like as fans we have been putting major money down in the past with a 9 and an ace only to see the dealer (conferences) come up with two kings and an ace. This time we are holding, like, a 16 and just praying Memphis, who's sitting next to us, doesn't draw a six or less as they're sitting there with a 15.

After that long analogy, I guess I'm just saying I'm not optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom