What's wrong with the Lynx? | The Boneyard

What's wrong with the Lynx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They are 4-6 in their last 10 games. I checked the most recent box score and Augustus is out with a left foot injury, but how long has she been gone? You would think that with the addition of Jones and Fowles, that the Lynx would be invincible, but they can't seem to get on track. Anyone who follows them more closely know what's ailing them?

Reaction Score
They really miss Simone Agustus. They have been up and down since she got hurt.

Reaction Score
I follow them and it just doesn't seem that they click with Fowles and Brunson
now. You would think they would be really good with the bigs that they have.

Kiah Stokes got 11 rebounds tonight. The NY defense is darn good. I thought
Stokes might get into foul trouble against them but she was ok and did a decent
job although Fowles scored frequently. Stokes really moves well in the post on
defense. If she would develop some offensive moves, she could be really good.

I think that will improve in S Korea this winter. They expect the American girls
to score points. She has done well this year for a rookie. She has done better than
some of the ones drafted ahead of her.She is always in the game in the 4th
quarter. She has plays the most minutes except for Tina. I really have to give
her credit for her good play so far. She is a very valuable player. When she gets
into foul trouble, the Liberty seem to struggle stopping other teams.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lynx need to fire the coach and the AD... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
VaMike and I saw them in Washington on the 16th and were shocked at the difference between last year's team, also without Augustus, and this year's team. Washington made a very concerted effort to focus their defensive efforts on Maya Moore; A strategy most teams are likely to employ except that Tierra Ruffin-Pratt(TRP) played stellar individual defense against Maya which, when coupled with Washington's help defense, was able to shut Minnesota down. Minnesota often went dangerously deep into the shot clock before getting anywhere close to a shot which very often was not a good one. Minnesota's offense seemed very stagnant with Fowles on the floor, Fowles does not extend the defense as Janel McCarville did, Jones got a number of very nice looks that she was unable to knock down. On paper, Minnesota looks unbeatable. Up close and personal, they have never looked more vulnerable in the Maya era. Minnesota is not very fleet afoot defensively either. For a Minnesota fan, one can only hope that they will be OK when the playoffs start.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The common reasons provided to explain the struggles of the Lynx fall into 2 categories.

1. While Fowles is a great individual talent, her presence messes up the spacing that Lynx used to employ on offense. They have yet to find a rhythm with her in the starting lineup. As mentioned above by VAUConnFan, McCarville would float outside, leaving the interior vulnerable to slashing attacks from the wings. Now there is more traffic inside. Most Lynx fans initially regarded the 3-way trade that delivered as a coup, but now they are not so sure, as Damiris Dantas and Reshandra Gray are flourishing in Atlanta.

2. The team is getting worn out because Cheryl Reeve doesn't play the bench enough. The starters log too many minutes and with the year-round basketball played by many (Europe and China), the team has tired legs. (They started out this season much better, lending support to the 'tired' hypothesis.)

Reaction Score
My two favorite WNBA teams are MN & NY and MN. With injuries early to Lindsay, Simone, and Wright (since gone), got them out of their game they had to compensate! Then Lindsay & Simone return now with Fowles and they can't get out of each others way! I thought when they got Big Syl, WOW! But I don't know now! NY looked really good both offensively & defensively! If they continue to play lock down defense, they'll be real tough in the playoffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom