What's the Biggest Unknown for any Top 10 Team in 2015-2016? | The Boneyard

What's the Biggest Unknown for any Top 10 Team in 2015-2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are there any unfilled WCBB HC jobs? Any shaky recruits? Any big player defections likely?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Perhaps, but is that the consensus of the Duke fans in general?!! ;)

a.jpg

Reaction Score
The general consensus of this board is that the Duke WCBB HC job is unfilled :rolleyes: :oops: :(

I could never understand how a great educational institution like Duke with all the talent they have had over the years has never won a Women's National Championship. I guess the problem must be coaching. With the right head coach Duke would be a contender for a NC just about every year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not sure if it fits what you are looking for in terms of unknown.... but their are plenty of question marks among the probable top 10 teams. Which ND freshman can step up to fill the wing scoring void left by Loyd. Can Mercedes Russell be the player that she was projected to be. Will Cuevas assume the starting PG role for Little Carolina. Will Lambert or Salvadores start at PG for Duke... or will they both start in the backcourt and move Greenwell to SF. Will either of the touted Baylor Freshman Posts contribute... Can Jamie Cherry be the steady PG that UNC needs ?

I think the top 10 team with the least amount of question marks is Florida State.

I could never understand how a great educational institution like Duke with all the talent they have had over the years has never won a Women's National Championship. I guess the problem must be coaching. With the right head coach Duke would be a contender for a NC just about every year.

If not for Monique Curry blowing out her knee in a pre-season exhibition game in the 2002-2003.... I think Duke wins it that year. Even in her absence they lost just twice.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
triaddukefan said:
If not for Monique Curry blowing out her knee in a pre-season exhibition game in the 2002-2003.... I think Duke wins it that year. Even in her absence they lost just twice.

I agree (or at least challenged in 02-03) and I think Duke should have won in 2006 over the Turtles.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
For me I am interested in a few teams.....

1. How Muffet and ND look after Jewel Loyd ( although I won't be surprised if they are again a top team as I suspect). One of the freshman guards will be key.
2. How does Oregon State respond. They have the pieces and a good recruit coming in. It's as if they peaked 3/4 into the season.
3. How does Coach Deshields....I mean Warlick...lead the Lady Vols. Chemistry will be key for them IMO.
4. South Carolinas guard play? Does one of the best guards ever in Dawn Staley finally get a back court to match her front court.
5. Florida State gets a full off season, preseason and season with standout Leticia Romero. They only lose one starter and they almost beat South Carolina in E8.
6. UCONN! Who replaces the NCAA best 3 point shooter? KML did more than shoot and we will miss her more than we realize. She pulled at least one defender in every game which helped with the team spacing. In Geno we trust, this will be fixed.
7. Baylor? How will they bears look with that freshman class AND Alexis Jones! I think they will be back to the FF but who won't be????

Next season shall certainly be interesting.

What month are we in? November?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree (or at least challenged in 02-03) and I think Duke should have won in 2006 over the Turtles.

I think they went 35-2 .... lost to TENN in the final 4. Currie was a beast.... would have been the best SF in the country that year

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
A big question I have lies with South Carolina. Actually, I have plural questions about them. For one, I wonder what kind of a sophomore leap A'ja Wilson makes. For another, will Tiffany Mitchell recover psychologically from how the national semis ended? And finally, speaking of psychology, can The Gamecocks' psychological trajectory be "from good to great" or rather "good is the enemy of great"?

Meanwhile, I have a bunch of questions about Texas. Will Imani McGee-Stafford be 100% all year? What about Ariel Atkins? How can Higgs and Hosey be as freshmen? Also psychologically, how do the Horns rebound from a 51-point drubbing? Finally, injuries seem to be a recurring theme for Texas. Has this just been bad luck for Aston and Gail G, or is there something in the S&C program that ought to be investigated?

Oklahoma is not a top 10 team...so my only question is when the heck can Sherri Coale get her program back there?

Here's one question: Diamond DeShields. Insert your actual question here.

A UConn question: with Moriah's slow start and transcendent finish in 2014-15, was it about the hair? And has Mo fully tapped her immense potential, or is her cap even higher? I want to see a video game where she's like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UConn who replaces KML in the starting lineup? Does Natalie Butler start as the center, making Morgan the Power Forward and Stewie as the player taking KML's wing spot. Presume no changes with the guards.

Another option for Geno is to bring Butler off the bench like he did Kiah and then does Gabby or one of the Freshmen take over KML's wing position. If this option is chosen, then just a wild guess that Collier will be the starter. However if could easily be Gabby or Katie Lou as well.

Reaction Score

Brenda Frese coaches the best free throw defense in the country - an 80% shooter misses key free throws to give MD a chance for overtime

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
John Glass said:
Brenda Frese coaches the best free throw defense in the country - an 80% shooter misses key free throws to give MD a chance for overtime

image-2156231797.jpg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Replying to 3 remarks I noticed:

Oregon State - will be interesting. Likely the upper half of the PAC will be interesting, as UCLA is coming off the WNIT championship, ASU the unexpectedly quite good season, Stanford will be in the 2nd year (presumably) of their new offense and then there is Cal. As to Oregon State - my only comment is that the head coach has excellent credentials - I think they will continue to contend.

The poster who wants Oklahoma to get back to the top 10 - I don't know what the problem is there. Coale is unquestionably a good coach, although I have always questioned those who want to make her more than she is. Maybe recruiting??

And finally, Texas - they have had a lot of injuries. I like Texas (family in the Austin area) and I hope they return to being a power. I'm not a fan of the team from Wacko, oops, Waco.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Echoing a few thing noted and adding some more:

UConn: How does the void created by Kiah and Kaleena's departure get filled? Can Lou step in right away? How great can Stewie be next year--the best player we've ever seen? How can a 5'7" player (generously measured) personally destroy all the opposition? Will Natalie challenge the season rebounding record? Is there anything that Napheesa can't do?

Notre Dame: Who steps up with Jewell gone? Are the frosh ready to be stars? Will Lindsay Allen be the player we saw against Stanford or against South Carolina? Will Brianna Turner challenge for NPOY? Will Muffet be gracious?

South Carolina: Will Wilson be ready for super-stardom? Who replaces Welch's toughness?

Tennessee: How healthy and effective will Mercedes be? How does Diamond fit in? Will their defense be as good as this past season, and will their offense emerge from the 1970s?

Stanford: In year 2 without a superstar, what will Tara's team look like?

Ohio State: How may shots will the backcourt put up? Will Mitchell remain on pace to break the NCAA career record for both points and 3-pointers?

Baylor: How will Alexis Jones fit in, especially with Niya Johnson? Who will choose Kim's wardrobe for big games?

Dayton: Will Jim Jabir continue his inspired coaching? Will he roll up his sleeves in big games--to show his tattoo?

Duke: Exactly how good is Salvadores, and can she be better than Alana Beard? Does some university award JPM an honorary doctorate for all the "learning experiences" she has had?

Louisville: Will Asia Durr be the new Kelsey Mitchell or the new Shoni Schimmel? Will Jeff Walz get his own line of checked shirts?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Perhaps, but is that the consensus of the Duke fans in general?!! ;)

Duke fans don't care, for the most part, they just won the championship in MBB. Now, when Coach K retires...

Reaction Score
Replying to 3 remarks I noticed:

The poster who wants Oklahoma to get back to the top 10 - I don't know what the problem is there. Coale is unquestionably a good coach, although I have always questioned those who want to make her more than she is. Maybe recruiting??

I think it's the recruiting. I don't think she's gotten it. Look at last year and this year-- they got 1 player. Unless she is getting some international players. I don't see it on hoopgurlz.

I never understood years ago after DT's frosh year - some top rated post player's never chose UCONN. Same with Oklahoma- I think she is excellent. She has gotten two teams - (one to finals and the other to final four) to ff playing completely different styles. They stood up very well to UCONN in 01-02- to what I feel is the greatest team of all-time 2001-2002. Two times and neither did UCONN really blow them. They got within 6 late in the 2nd matchup even though UCONN had already seen them once before.

I wonder if that team she had with the Paris twins- the style they played - turned off the more elite athletic type of kids. I know they got DRob-- but quite a bit of her career was in the shadow of the twins.

Reaction Score
UConn who replaces KML in the starting lineup? Does Natalie Butler start as the center, making Morgan the Power Forward and Stewie as the player taking KML's wing spot. Presume no changes with the guards.

Another option for Geno is to bring Butler off the bench like he did Kiah and then does Gabby or one of the Freshmen take over KML's wing position. If this option is chosen, then just a wild guess that Collier will be the starter. However if could easily be Gabby or Katie Lou as well.

Wbbfan1 - Your first line-up mentioned has been stated and probably has most posters in agreement. However, the way you presented the line-up was enlightening (to me) and solidified my belief that Butler will start. Who can replace KML and all the extra things she brought to the table? STEWIE !! Butler is down low, Morgan continues to improve and fits the PF spot and Stewie does it all from the wing. The guards stay the same and Gabby comes off the bench first. The 3 frosh and Chong are fighting for position and will be cleaning up the games most of the season. Hopefully Ekmark improves or she will complete the final minutes with the 2 walk-ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom