What will happen in the future. | The Boneyard

What will happen in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In 2014, a four team playoff will begin.

The television ratings will dwarf the bowls and make the NCAA basketball tourney look like pocket change.

By 2016 it will be eight teams. The ratings will continue to climb.

By 2020 it will be sixteen teams.

The bowl system will either be washed away or changed dramatically. Either way it will be reduced in insignificance.

By 2020 UConn will have as good a shot at a football National Championship as they do today. All we have to do, is all we have ever had to do, win.

Reaction Score
If it were all about winning Boise would be headed to much greener pasture than the NBE (if they even come at this point) and Rutgers would be headed to C-USA with New Mexico St.

Reaction Score
If it were all about winning Boise would be headed to much greener pasture than the NBE (if they even come at this point) and Rutgers would be headed to C-USA with New Mexico St.

So accurate. People just aren't getting it. Maybe Connecticut and New England were pretty much left out of the mix of big time college football for a reason. It's not simply "all about winning". Its so much more than that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am agreeing with Palatine a lot this morning. Time for therapy. If there was a way to sell bowls short, I would empty my life savings and sell them short. That business model could not be more dead.

I saw an analysis (i actually posted it here in the winter) that showed that during the regular season, college football generated twice the advertising revenue that college basketball did, but the postseason was actually the inverse. The bowls have been dead for a long time, but no one told college football. Fans don't want to go, they have to give away tickets, and the ratings suck. There is no economic reason to continue the bowl system.

Reaction Score
In 2014, a four team playoff will begin.

The television ratings will dwarf the bowls and make the NCAA basketball tourney look like pocket change.

By 2016 it will be eight teams. The ratings will continue to climb.

By 2020 it will be sixteen teams.

The bowl system will either be washed away or changed dramatically. Either way it will be reduced in insignificance.

By 2020 UConn will have as good a shot at a football National Championship as they do today. All we have to do, is all we have ever had to do, win.

While the bowl system may slowly die, the playoff will still require access. If we're not in a place with access, we have not shot.

Reaction Score
I just pray for a time when with 6 wins you are not guaranteed a bowl game. Get back to the core New Years Day games and get rid of the rest. ESPN can just show World's Strongest Man competitions instead.

Reaction Score
While the bowl system may slowly die, the playoff will still require access. If we're not in a place with access, we have not shot.

A sixteen team play will allow access. It may require a undefeated season but in a reconstituted BE that is a possibility.

Reaction Score

If it ever gets to a situation where we're talking about a legitimate multi-tier playoff, and not just "these bowls feed into this other game", you can bank on access rules changing.

Once you get to a point where it will pretty much be guaranteed that the top 10 teams in any ranking system will get in, there's little harm in letting #17, #20 and #24 in over #14, #15, and #16. The power conferences are pretty much guaranteed two bids each, and slotting "easier" teams in below them actually aids the chances of the higher teams advancing anyway, which is *exactly* what a conference like the SEC would want.

Teams can crow all they want about how they should get more access, but once the crying stops coming from the #5 team and starts coming from the #12 or #13, at some point you just have to cut it off and say, "No, screw you, win more games."

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
By 2020 UConn will have as good a shot at a football National Championship as they do today.

Theoretically, that is correct. However, that is like saying that Sacred Heart has as good of a shot as North Carolina at winning the NCAA Basketball tournament. While theoretically, that is correct...in reality, it is not true. Our closest competition (Rutgers/BC/etc) will more than likely be making $40MM more per year in TV revenue and will be on a mainstream TV station (big deal to recruits) while UConn will be on some regional 3rd-tier station.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to look like an oasis in the barren football landscape that is the northeast. We need to be the exception to the rule. We need to win, we need style points, we need to laugh about dropping 70 points on someone. Score 45 by halftime. Leave no doubt.

Reaction Score
So, since I am the last to grasp the new reality, could one of you Einsteins explain to me how we will hurt our perception by beating Cincy and winning a bowl game?

Thanks. I am really trying.

Reaction Score
You only hear about Boise because of them winning, if they didn't Win, they wouldn't of been "upgraded" to the NBE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom