what we didn't know in October that we think we know now? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

what we didn't know in October that we think we know now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wouldn't necessarily minimize the piece of the current or former streak owned by Gabby, Saniya, Dixon, Doty or Hayes or anyone else that was a part of each streak respectively, right on down to the last player on the bench. Some day, when these young ladies are grandmothers, they'll be telling their grand-kids about "the streak".

Back in ancient times, as a senior in high school, I played on an undefeated football team. A few years back, my alma mater held a 40 yr reunion for that team. I was pleasantly surprised at how many of the reserves, who seldom got on the field, showed up for the event and were proud to have been part of that team.
Oh - I don't minimize their ownership at all, but I am not trying to coach the current team in the eye of the storm. Geno is, and until it is well in the rearview mirror, he will never acknowledge that anyone on the team had anything to do with it! Ask him about 2011 now, or this team in five years and he'll sing a different tune. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with your comments, but there is something about immortality that's special. I've read that DiMaggio never wanted to see anyone get close to his 56 game hitting streak. The undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins celebrated when the Giants beat the Patriots in the 2008 Super Bowl, ending their perfect season. Not sure how Maya & company would feel about another Husky team breaking their record, but I suspect that any team that broke the record would feel pretty good about themselves.

Let me share this observation......................Most UConn faithful and interested observers NOW believe that it IS possible that this team CAN march forth and break the 90 game win steak.
While it's not their record (the last 3 teams contributed) solely, they will own a piece of it. If my understanding is correct, the streak is now at 82. That means the Huskies can break the record with a win @ SMU on Saturday January 14 in Dallas,Tx. They've still got dates with ND, Ohio St., Maryland & USF first. I would not be so presumptuous as to look beyond any of there teams just yet.

Reaction Score
A lot of people on this board have been saying,(during the summer and the fall pre-season),that the first four would improve some,but how the other players develop would determine how far Uconn goes this year.Saniya at FSU,Crystal Dangerfield vs. Baylor,and Natalie vs.Texas show the clairvoyance and insight of this august body.Congratulations to a lot of you folks who called it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The one thing I couldn't possibly have predicted, despite her being my favorite player on the current squad, is how much Kia has stepped into a leadership role and how soon she did it. I knew it would happen eventually, but I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. But she's out there screaming for them, keeping the energy up when she can, and she's always one of the most encouraging players on and off the court. Watching her in warmups and seeing how she's really transitioned into a new role with encouraging the younger ones and keeping everyone together is a really nice thing to see. I can't remember what thread it was on, but someone said that no one cares more about this team than Kia... and I'm really inclined to agree. She's stepped up. Her offensive start was slow and her defense wasn't entirely up to par with what we grew used to seeing from her last season, but she's become a team leader and team encourager when they needed it the most. Her fire and drive must be contagious - I wish I had someone like that on all of my teams growing up. I only expect it to get better from here.

And like so many other people, I wasn't expecting them to be this calm under pressure. Knowing what we know how about what Geno said during that first TO... they looked incredibly calm when they fought back, and that's impressive - at least to me. I was expecting some major growing pains, and while we have seen them in flashes, they're much more minor than what I anticipated. The transition hasn't been flawless, but they're playing better basketball as a team than I expected them to in late November / early December.

This year has already been quite surprising and very exciting. I'm personally excited to see what else they're able to do as they continue to settle into their roles and become even more comfortable with one another. Especially as the freshman progress!

StephStorrs - I enjoyed reading your post. Allow me to piggyback on your thoughts here about team leadership. If you're a member of the University of Connecticut women's basketball team, at some point during your 4 year stay, you're expected to become a team leader in some capacity. The coaches expect the seniors on the team to rise to the occasion, and assume team leadership. Most of the time the seniors do in fact accept and take on that role. Keep in mind that you're only a leader if people will follow you. There are two types of leaders, appointed and natural.

Sometimes however, a player is just not cut out for leadership. It's not in their DNA. I'll go back two years to Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Kiah Stokes. Both were seniors, neither were leaders. They did not want the responsibility, and neither had the personality of a leader. Geno knew this. He called Morgan Tuck into his office and told her he was looking for a team leader that year. He (knowing his players) thought she would be an excellent leader the next two years. He was right. She accepted the challenge. The team followed Morgan.

Last year, Tuck, Brianna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson (as seniors) took on the role of team leaders. All 3 had the respect of the staff and players. They knew exactly what Geno wanted and expected from the team. They saw to it he got it. A leader is out front, leading by example, they did, all the way to the national championship game in Indianapolis.

This year, Saniya Chong and Tierney Lawlor are the two seniors. Neither are leaders. They know it, the team knows it, the staff knows it. So you go to the next class (the Juniors) to find a possible leader(s). Enter Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams and Katie Lou Samuelson. All three have the respect of the team, and the personality to be leaders. Sometimes a player will step out on their own and assume the role, sometimes they are asked or coaxed by a coach. Kia is a team player. She sees what's going on on the court and in the locker room.

Don't be surprised that Kia has stepped up and assumed that leadership role. It needed to be filled. She stepped up and assumed the challenge. Lou and Gabby have also stepped up and embraced the role of a team leader. Geno has said: "The fans don't really know our players. They only see them for the 40 minutes they're out on the court. They don't see them in practice like we do. They don't see them behind the scenes like we do. We know what's going on with our team. We see and know things about our team the fans will never know". As fans, we know enough about the team that we can tell who the leaders are. We don't have to be "insiders" to know that.

The three juniors have stepped up and assumed team leadership roles. Call it a rite of passage, call it a call to duty, call it anything you want. They are this year's (and next year's) team leaders. The 2016-2017 UConn women's basketball team is in good hands, and off to an incredible start. A team still searching for it's identity. An identity they will find somewhere on the road to Dallas in April. If things continue as they are, if this team can maintain it's dominance and poise under pressure, this could turn out to be an historic season in UConn lore in more ways than one.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
StephStorrs - I enjoyed reading your post. Allow me to piggyback on your thoughts here about team leadership. If you're a member of the University of Connecticut women's basketball team, at some point during your 4 year stay, you're expected to become a team leader in some capacity. The coaches expect the seniors on the team to rise to the occasion, and assume team leadership. Most of the time the seniors do in fact accept and take on that role. Keep in mind that you're only a leader if people will follow you. There are two types of leaders, appointed and natural.

Sometimes however, a player is just not cut out for leadership. It's not in their DNA. I'll go back two years to Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Kiah Stokes. Both were seniors, neither were leaders. They did not want the responsibility, and neither had the personality of a leader. Geno knew this. He called Morgan Tuck into his office and told her he was looking for a team leader that year. He (knowing his players) thought she would be an excellent leader the next two years. He was right. She accepted the challenge. The team followed Morgan.

Last year, Tuck, Brianna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson (as seniors) took on the role of team leaders. All 3 had the respect of the staff and players. They knew exactly what Geno wanted and expected from the team. They saw to it he got it. A leader is out front, leading by example, they did, all the way to the national championship game in Indianapolis.

This year, Saniya Chong and Tierney Lawlor are the two seniors. Neither are leaders. They know it, the team knows it, the staff knows it. So you go to the next class (the Juniors) to find a possible leader(s). Enter Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams and Katie Lou Samuelson. All three have the respect of the team, and the personality to be leaders. Sometimes a player will step out on their own and assume the role, sometimes they are asked or coaxed by a coach. Kia is a team player. She sees what's going on on the court and in the locker room.

Don't be surprised that Kia has stepped up and assumed that leadership role. It needed to be filled. She stepped up and assumed the challenge. Lou and Gabby have also stepped up and embraced the role of a team leader. Geno has said: "The fans don't really know our players. They only see them for the 40 minutes they're out on the court. They don't see them in practice like we do. They don't see them behind the scenes like we do. We know what's going on with our team. We see and know things about our team the fans will never know". As fans, we know enough about the team that we can tell who the leaders are. We don't have to be "insiders" to know that.

The three juniors have stepped up and assumed team leadership roles. Call it a rite of passage, call it a call to duty, call it anything you want. They are this year's (and next year's) team leaders. The 2016-2017 UConn women's basketball team is in good hands, and off to an incredible start. A team still searching for it's identity. An identity they will find somewhere on the road to Dallas in April. If things continue as they are, if this team can maintain it's dominance and poise under pressure, this could turn out to be an historic season in UConn lore in more ways than one.
Not bad - just one thing, Lou is not a junior but a sophomore - junior class is two strong plus Natalie. And as you say their are different types of leaders and we only see what is on the floor. Tierney in her own way is a leader i think - someone posted a picture of her leading the pregame full team huddle. And I suspect Chong is doing a lot for the freshmen class off the court too.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not bad - just one thing, Lou is not a junior but a sophomore - junior class is two strong plus Natalie. And as you say their are different types of leaders and we only see what is on the floor. Tierney in her own way is a leader i think - someone posted a picture of her leading the pregame full team huddle. And I suspect Chong is doing a lot for the freshmen class off the court too.

Ooops, I got carried away trying to arrange my thoughts and proof read my comment before I pressed "enter". It seems like she's been here longer. Thanks.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think the streak is under the radar right now, because this team is focused like a laser on the next opponent only, whomever that might be. With a brutal pre-conference schedule, it would not be smart for UConn to focus on the streak, a national championship or anything other than the opponent standing right in front of them.

However, if they manage to somehow run the guantlet of these first 12 games without losing, UConn will be at 87 wins in a row heading into their conference schedule. At that point, the press will start talking about, and asking about, the streak: tying UCLA 88, passing UCLA 89, tying UConn 90, passing UConn 91 and so on. At that point it may be very difficult for these Huskies to ignore the chatter.

It's not just chatter; it's history, a testament to how amazing UConn WBB is. 11 NCs, six perfect seasons (compared to five combined by everyone else), 1/2/3/4 NCs in a row, and four of the five longest winning streaks in WCBB history. No other program, not one, can attest to this.

But extending KML/Kiah/Stewie/Morgan/MoJeff to 91 games? That would be the stuff of legend. And if it ends at 82, so be it. I'm still amazed by Geno, and we look like a great team the next two seasons anyway.

I love this program!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's not just chatter; it's history, a testament to how amazing UConn WBB is. 11 NCs, six perfect seasons (compared to five combined by everyone else), 1/2/3/4 NCs in a row, and four of the five longest winning streaks in WCBB history. No other program, not one, can attest to this.

But extending KML/Kiah/Stewie/Morgan/MoJeff to 91 games? That would be the stuff of legend. And if it ends at 82, so be it. I'm still amazed by Geno, and we look like a great team the next two seasons anyway.

I love this program!
What you doing - double counting some? Texas, TN, Baylor - 1,2,3.

Reaction Score
In the women’s game, the following national championship teams have had perfect records since the AIAW began sponsoring a championship tournament in 1972 (which was followed by the NCAA tournament in 1982):

1973 Immaculata Mighty Macs (20–0)
1975 Delta State Lady Statesmen (28–0)
1981 Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters (34–0)
1986 Texas Longhorns (34–0)

1995 Connecticut Huskies (35–0)
1998 Tennessee Lady Vols (39–0)
2002 Connecticut Huskies (39–0)
2009 Connecticut Huskies (39–0)
2010 Connecticut Huskies (39–0)
2012 Baylor Lady Bears (40–0)
2014 Connecticut Huskies (40–0)
2016 Connecticut Huskies (38–0)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A few posters referred to UConn "running a gauntlet" of a tough series of opponents. It's a gantlet (an "ordeal"). A gauntlet is a "glove," or dare.Head bang

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A few posters referred to UConn "running a gauntlet" of a tough series of opponents. It's a gantlet (an "ordeal"). A gauntlet is a "glove," or dare.Head bang
So more appropriately the Husky schedule throws down the gauntlet to run the gantlet......

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What you doing - double counting some? Texas, TN, Baylor - 1,2,3.

Uconn perfect seasons: 1995, 2002,2009, 2010, 2014, 2016.
Perfect seasons by everyone else : Immaculata 1973, La Tech 1981, Texas 1986, rennesse 1998, Baylor 2012.

6>5. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Gabby is the best player in the country.
I don't, because her jumper is still a work in progress, but if I'm a WNBA GM, I take a chance on her. And early. She's undersized, as a forward, but a world-class athlete with a very high upside. In time, she could be a superlative shooter. She can defend 3 or 4 positions. She's a very hard worker who has learned from the best. She rebounds, runs the floor, and has become a good passer. Plus, she has never lost a college game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I figured out why this team is so tough. Really! Someone with top secret clearance at the Boneyard has leaked info to the team about Kibitzer's Badass Award. This is an uber-competitive group, so everyone wants that coveted award. I could read their lips during the Texas gave. Crystal drained a 3, and Kia yelled, "THAT was Badass." Lou came off the curl and hit a jumper, then Pheesa said, "Badass." Pheesa got the rebound and put in the reverse layup. Lou gave her the "Badass" look. And Natalie came into the game and said, "You may be from Texas, but I'm going to show you some REAL Badass. :D

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I figured out why this team is so tough. Really! Someone with top secret clearance at the Boneyard has leaked info to the team about Kibitzer's Badass Award. This is an uber-competitive group, so everyone wants that coveted award. I could read their lips during the Texas gave. Crystal drained a 3, and Kia yelled, "THAT was Badass." Lou came off the curl and hit a jumper, then Pheesa said, "Badass." Pheesa got the rebound and put in the reverse layup. Lou gave her the "Badass" look. And Natalie came into the game and said, "You may be from Texas, but I'm going to show you some REAL Badass. :D

ESP?:rolleyes:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The name of the Clint Eastwood movie is The Gauntlet and it ain't about a glove, commie.

Commie? Surely not me.

Clint Eastwood is a Californian. He surely knows that USC and UCLA athletics programs compete for the Lexus Gauntlet Trophy. It's a pewter-gilded glove. ;)

Reaction Score
I would add:
-Kia Nurse looks to be a more confident player, especially on the offensive end (at least the last couple games). This hasn't always been the case in the past. I used to say that I could tell what kind of at bat A-Rod would have by looking at his face when he was getting into the batters box. It's the same with Kia. When she's playing relaxed, she plays better.

-Gabby Williams would be terrific in fantasy basketball, a player capable of stuffing the stat sheet in multiple categories. She's the team's 2nd leading rebounder, 1st in steals, and tied for the team lead in assists!
And jumps center, and only faked once so far. ;^)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In the women’s game, the following national championship teams have had perfect records since the AIAW began sponsoring a championship tournament in 1972 (which was followed by the NCAA tournament in 1982):

1973 Immaculata Mighty Macs (20–0)
1975 Delta State Lady Statesmen (28–0)
1981 Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters (34–0)
1986 Texas Longhorns (34–0)

1995 Connecticut Huskies (35–0)
1998 Tennessee Lady Vols (39–0)
2002 Connecticut Huskies (39–0)
2009 Connecticut Huskies (39–0)
2010 Connecticut Huskies (39–0)
2012 Baylor Lady Bears (40–0)
2014 Connecticut Huskies (40–0)
2016 Connecticut Huskies (38–0)
Well if you are going back to the dark ages why stop there?! What about the All American Red Heads and the other great early teams.
In the NCAA era - the record is 6 - 3
Uconn perfect seasons: 1995, 2002,2009, 2010, 2014, 2016.
Perfect seasons by everyone else : Immaculata 1973, La Tech 1981, Texas 1986, rennesse 1998, Baylor 2012.

6>5. :)
What Delta State doesn't count? 6-6 if you include the AIAW

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't, because her jumper is still a work in progress, but if I'm a WNBA GM, I take a chance on her. And early. She's undersized, as a forward, but a world-class athlete with a very high upside. In time, she could be a superlative shooter. She can defend 3 or 4 positions. She's a very hard worker who has learned from the best. She rebounds, runs the floor, and has become a good passer. Plus, she has never lost a college game.
If Gabby continues to improve her shot and ball handling she'd make a nice pro 2 guard.

Reaction Score
I would add:
-Kia Nurse looks to be a more confident player, especially on the offensive end (at least the last couple games). This hasn't always been the case in the past. I used to say that I could tell what kind of at bat A-Rod would have by looking at his face when he was getting into the batters box. It's the same with Kia. When she's playing relaxed, she plays better.

-Gabby Williams would be terrific in fantasy basketball, a player capable of stuffing the stat sheet in multiple categories. She's the team's 2nd leading rebounder, 1st in steals, and tied for the team lead in assists!
Are you saying Kellie Faris?

Reaction Score
I think Gabby is the best player in the country.
Seriously? She's impressive and has grown offensively. She's a world class athlete but I have a very hard time thinking she's nearly the best in the country. I'm not absolutely sure she's even the best player on UConn's roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom